Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post
Every inch of it to be like Michigan Avenue in Chicago :P

Seriously though, I guess I expected the historical areas, (or at least the area around reunion tower) to be much more green, park like, and cleaner. I got the look I'm thinking of from the area around Kyle Warren Park. That area is very nice.
Klyde Warren Park is something revolutionary for Dallas.

As someone born and raised in Dallas (not the suburbs), let me also point out that you don't even pay taxes to Dallas County, let alone the City of Dallas. They've got potholes now that'll bend your car's axle and lots of other very expensive, intractable big-city problems. I don't think Saint Augustine sod and pretty petunias near the aquarium rank very high on the list of priorities.

Dallas <> Frisco.

I no longer live in Dallas either, but I don't expect it to gussy itself up for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,412,948 times
Quote:
OP's making it sound like a ghetto when in actuality (to me anyway) it looks like Main Street at Disneyworld compared to 30 years ago
And if you were older than that, Dallas had a thriving downtown (way better than uptown) and it was systematically destroyed to the point you all remember from your childhood 30 years ago. In other words, what you remember is a reality, but not the only reality.

The only thing, as a Dallas resident and not transplant, is I guess you can blame your parents/grandparents for detroying it, and we can thank you for the vision to fix it to a place where your children might want to live...All of us transplants are responsible for our previous hometowns.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
And if you were older than that, Dallas had a thriving downtown (way better than uptown) and it was systematically destroyed to the point you all remember from your childhood 30 years ago. In other words, what you remember is a reality, but not the only reality.
I can only share my own cultural context. I was born in the 70s.

I've heard a lot about what downtown used to be like from my parents, though.

I don't know why you're trying to argue with me anyway, we're both making the same point.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:13 PM

290 posts, read 388,299 times
Good review, thanks for sharing! I would have to disagree with the Frisco review. I'm a transplant from Philly/DC and I have family in Frisco. I find it very boring, cookie cutter, houses all look the same, not much character, and the same old boring strip mall shopping centers.

I do agree that people here are MUCH, MUCH, nicer than the Northeast. Took me a while to get used to that, but I can totally appreciate it now.

The weather is my one real complaint. The summer was too hot (even though apparently last summer was "mild"), and I dislike how one day there's ice, followed by 53 degrees, followed by 74, following by 31 and snow. At least in the NE I knew when it was going to be cold it was cold and not flip flop weather the next day. I miss all 4 seasons.

I love having no state income tax, and how much further my money goes here

Old 03-09-2015, 03:14 PM

3,821 posts, read 8,752,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
One might consider it to be on the crusty perimeter of downtown?
I love that description.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:18 PM

3,821 posts, read 8,752,691 times
"Medieval Times, Very fun, though the one in Dallas is a lot smaller than the one in Chicago "

Thank you for saying that! I took DH about a month ago because he'd never been and I thought it would be a fun afternoon adventure. Totally cheesy one. I'd been to the one in Chicago (Schaumburg if we're going to follow the city vs suburbs theme) in HS. When we went into the one here, I couldn't figure out if it was smaller or I was just remembering the other one to be bigger.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Glad you've come in here and have enjoyed it. And good for you for choosing Frisco to put your lifestyle in. The strengths you'll find here will far outweigh the weaknesses, as no area is perfect. But you will see that Texas is, as a whole, the most livable state in the country.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:39 PM

100 posts, read 187,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
"Medieval Times, Very fun, though the one in Dallas is a lot smaller than the one in Chicago "

Thank you for saying that! I took DH about a month ago because he'd never been and I thought it would be a fun afternoon adventure. Totally cheesy one. I'd been to the one in Chicago (Schaumburg if we're going to follow the city vs suburbs theme) in HS. When we went into the one here, I couldn't figure out if it was smaller or I was just remembering the other one to be bigger.
The one in Schaumburg is about double the size (much bigger entrance and souvenir area, the actual arena there is even bigger than that and supports a lot more horses at once). It has the benefit of being no where near any other buildings, as opposed to the one in Dallas which seems land locked. Still fun to go to here though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Glad you've come in here and have enjoyed it. And good for you for choosing Frisco to put your lifestyle in. The strengths you'll find here will far outweigh the weaknesses, as no area is perfect. But you will see that Texas is, as a whole, the most livable state in the country.
We have been seeing that for sure. This states very livable, especially in the Dallas area. The QoL cost are great. Yeah every area has flaws but I've learned to make the best of what I've got, and when I can no longer do that (like with living in Illinois... hate that state sooo much) I look for greener pastures!

The only thing we feel the Dallas area lacks is nice vistas/hills/bodies of water (none of our lakes are particularly lookers). But my wife and I both go on vacation alot, so that fills our need for grand vistas.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:49 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,494,005 times
Props (and reps ) to you Pegusas on your very insightful review. I'm sure many newcomers to the area will appreciate what you've written.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post
Seriously though, I guess I expected the historical areas, (or at least the area around reunion tower) to be much more green, park like, and cleaner. I got the look I'm thinking of from the area around Kyle Warren Park. That area is very nice.
Historical areas? Dallas is a young city. The "historical area" downtown is about 2 city blocks long. The rest was developed during the post WWII skyscraper era.

Reunion Tower is the pinnacle of 1980's Dallas architecture & city planning....something you drive to, valet, get out, go up, come down, pick up from valet, and drive home. No need for park space (put your 1980's bigger, bolder, better "hat" on). Walkable urban green space is a purely 21st century ideal which explains why you found what you expected near Klyde Warren Park (developed 2010-present).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas