Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post
what is a jug handle?
From the Wikipedia: "A jughandle is a type of ramp or slip road that changes the way traffic turns left at an at-grade intersection (in a country where traffic drives on the right). Instead of a standard left turn being made from the left lane, left-turning traffic uses a ramp on the right side of the road. In a standard forward jughandle or near-side jughandle, the ramp leaves before the intersection, and left-turning traffic turns left off it rather than the through road. Right turns are also made using the jughandle."

You basically get off the road via a ramp, come to another road, make a left onto it to make your left turn. You mostly see jughandles on main roads, not secondary roads. I hate them because when you get off the main road, you have to usually make a left turn onto another really busy road (many without traffic lights) waiting for a break in traffic with impatient drivers ready to honk at you if you miss an opening. Or worse yet, the confusing jughandles that take you through twists and turns ( thus me getting lost and having to backtrack). At times I almost had to take a Xanax when navigating NJ roads. It can be quite stressful and I don't miss it at all. Oh and another thing that is confusing are the road signs. Very, very confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:31 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Huh?!?!?!?!?!

I think the OP is referring to the West End, which is where the Aquarium is located. And yes, that part of downtown is old, dirty, kind of depressing. Also, I think of Reunion Tower area as just "ugly".

Other parts of downtown are great though, and seem like they are trying to use Chicago-style planning methods to build out those areas (Victory park, arts district, Klyde Warren Park). Deep Ellum is not as pleasant as it could be, but there are massive market forces in play right now, and I think that in five years, Deep Ellum will be pretty freaking amazing.

Also, to the OP - did you ever visit Uptown Dallas? It is the Dallas version of Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Wrigelyville. I know you are not into urban living, you prefer suburban, which is fine, but Uptown is really interesting to visit.

Another place to visit is oak Cliff, on the other side of the Trinity River canyon from downtown. Great restaurants there.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:38 PM

100 posts, read 187,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I think the OP is referring to the West End, which is where the Aquarium is located. And yes, that part of downtown is old, dirty, kind of depressing. Also, I think of Reunion Tower area as just "ugly".

Other parts of downtown are great though, and seem like they are trying to use Chicago-style planning methods to build out those areas (Victory park, arts district, Klyde Warren Park). Deep Ellum is not as pleasant as it could be, but there are massive market forces in play right now, and I think that in five years, Deep Ellum will be pretty freaking amazing.

Also, to the OP - did you ever visit Uptown Dallas? It is the Dallas version of Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Wrigelyville. I know you are not into urban living, you prefer suburban, which is fine, but Uptown is really interesting to visit.

Another place to visit is oak Cliff, on the other side of the Trinity River canyon from downtown. Great restaurants there.
Awesome, thank you for the advice. And we have yet to explore any other of Down Town but look forward to doing so! We were only on that side for a trip to the Aquarium and dinner at 560 in the Reunion tower. took the time to walk around the area. I'm glad to hear the rest of downtown isnt like that.

As for Deep Ellum, good to hear its improving, we have to go there May 11th for a concert at the "Trees". The google map image do not look appealing, but would not miss the concert for the world.

As for Oak Cliff, its kinda funny, one of the first rules of Metro living we were told was "if it has Oak in the name, you dont go there". Still, thank you for the advice, we'll take a spin by all of this eventually as we learn new places.

Another place we were recently at was the Executive Airport for flying lessons That was very fun.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM

244 posts, read 405,380 times
Quote:

As for Oak Cliff, its kinda funny, one of the first rules of Metro living we were told was "if it has Oak in the name, you dont go there". Still, thank you for the advice, we'll take a spin by all of this eventually as we learn new places.
Wow, what terrible advice. North Oak Cliff embodies just about everything I love in Dallas. Rolling hills, beautiful trees, non chain restaurants and an population who is actively trying to build a walkable, connected place.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
Wow, what terrible advice. North Oak Cliff embodies just about everything I love in Dallas. Rolling hills, beautiful trees, non chain restaurants and an population who is actively trying to build a walkable, connected place.
It doesn't look like Frisco, though. If the OP thought downtown was crusty, just wait till he sees parts of Oak Cliff.

FWIW, I don't think NOC is scary or crusty. But the OP might.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Quote:
Awesome, thank you for the advice. And we have yet to explore any other of Down Town but look forward to doing so! We were only on that side for a trip to the Aquarium and dinner at 560 in the Reunion tower. took the time to walk around the area. I'm glad to hear the rest of downtown isnt like that.

As for Deep Ellum, good to hear its improving, we have to go there May 11th for a concert at the "Trees". The google map image do not look appealing, but would not miss the concert for the world.

Another place we were recently at was the Executive Airport for flying lessons That was very fun.
The area between 35 and 45 in Oak Cliff is rough. North Oak Cliff is nice.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:06 PM

100 posts, read 187,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
It was more of a joke than a serious thing, at least it was said that way.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:41 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Quote:
As for Oak Cliff, its kinda funny, one of the first rules of Metro living we were told was "if it has Oak in the name, you dont go there".
Really? Is this Oak Cliff-phobia still a thing? You're missing out on some great restaurants and street festivals in the Bishop Arts District and cool neighborhoods. (You might not to want to live there but it's certainly worth a visit.)

Home - Bishop Arts District

And Oak Lawn, next to Uptown, is extremely desirable these days (not to mention the site of Dallas' biggest Halloween street party.)

Old 03-10-2015, 03:57 PM

385 posts, read 488,733 times
Like I said before, once the Bishop Arts District gets a decent supply of apartments CLOSER (in terms of walking distance) to all of the shops and restaurants, it'll take off even more. It's amazing how much progress has been made.

There are apartments that developers label as "Bishop Arts" but they are 5+ min drives away from the section of Bishop Ave or Davis with all of the shops. That isn't a long drive at all, but I think they need to make the immediate surrounding area more walkable/liveable so more young professionals can live in the area and create more weekday foot traffic. Magnolia Bishop Arts apartments are a 5-7 minute walk away, excellent location.

Parking in that area is awful. The BAD is more of a "park your car, go walk around for a bit and then drive back home" type of place right now, not necessarily a "let's go walk down the street and get a coffee" type area.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:09 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Seriously though, I guess I expected the historical areas, (or at least the area around reunion tower) to be much more green, park like, and cleaner.
Why would a historical area of a city be green? Green is the opposite of a city. Green is what you would have before there was a city. The most historical parts of a city are the parts that first changed from green to buildings.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 03-11-2015 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas