Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:02 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inahi View Post
yes, I'm looking for excellent schools. I think public schools in area are as good as many of the private schools in LA. If we decided to move to Preston Hollow, what is the range for private school tuition?
Catholic schools (for non-parishoners) run about $8-10k for K-8 and $15-17k for HS. The other schools range from $18-25k/year for K-12. There are probably a dozen private schools in the PH vicinity.

For a $750k-$1M budget, you won't find a 1 acre lot. Can probably get close to .5 acre. Zip codes 75230 and 75229 will work best for your budget. Remodeled ranch style homes are running about $250/st these days to give you an idea. Many have been taken to the studs & completely rebuilt. Lots of tear downs/ new construction but at $1.5M+ price points.

Our home is a 1950's 3300sf one-story with 2 new AC units and fair insulation. Our highest bill ever was $500 and the lowest around $200. Most months in the $300-400 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
thanks to everyone for their quick reply. my budget is between $750-$1M. Lot size is between 1/2- 1 acre. large enough for a pool and grassy area for kids to play. in addition, we need in law apt. or guest house is ideal for long term visitors.

another question - are utilities as high as some indicate? am I really going to pay $800/month I summer to cool a 5000 sq ft home?
We live in a 4,500 square foot home built in the '60s. Our summer bills (June 15 - Sept. 1) with the house at ~72/3F and the pool running most of the time are right at $375.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:17 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfielding View Post
My realtor is working with Toyota's relocation and she said that Normandy Estates, Red Wolf Estates, Willlow Bend Country, Lakeside at Preston and Hills at Prestonwood are getting a lot of interest thanks to Plano West Schools.

Ones willing/able to spend $25K+/child on private schooling are looking in PrestonHollow but Soutlake and Flowermound are not getting much attention due to long commute. HP is a contender as always.
Depending upon a kid's age North Dallas Private schools range for roughly $9K through $27/28K.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:51 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
There is no way Southlake is a 30 minute commute.

Tour 18 in Flower Mound is gorgeous, but you again are looking at a 50-75+ min commute from there. Take it from someone who has done it!
Southlake to the 121/DNT interchange is probably 40 minutes or less even during rush hour (because most of it is at highway speeds, traffic flow is usually not in that direction on that route), but it's a lot of miles. I'd agree that if they want "good schools, half acre+ lot, 750K to 1M budget" they might as well look in Willow Bend or thereabouts rather than Southlake, as it's similar in most ways and a lot closer.

I'll defer to others re: Preston Hollow. Obviously we're talking private schools in that case, which might mess with their overall budget.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:10 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,160,760 times
Quote:
We want to live in a area that is "Older". Prefer residents with working professionals, business execs, athletes, lawyers, doctors.
By "older," do you mean "richer"? Because most athletes are relatively young and working professionals can be any age. Or are you referring to the age of the construction?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:02 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,200 times
Quote:
thanks to everyone for their quick reply. my budget is between $750-$1M. Lot size is between 1/2- 1 acre. large enough for a pool and grassy area for kids to play. in addition, we need in law apt. or guest house is ideal for long term visitors.

another question - are utilities as high as some indicate? am I really going to pay $800/month I summer to cool a 5000 sq ft home?
If most of your "must to have" requirements are available in Plano or elsewhere near to your work place, there is no need to spend the extra time in commute. However "Commute" is relative and so is the "Commute Tolerance". Depending on the individual you will see the sentiments on this forum. I can drive 35-50 mins on a regular basis and occasionally when the roads are bad due to ice/ extreme traffic even 1 hour is okay for a few days in a year. Another thing you need to consider is how crowded are the internal roads during the peak time if you live closer and how much it adds to the commute?

How much is the realistic commute door to door if you live nearer? I suggest you to do to an actual commute from the sub-divisions you are interested. Most internal streets in Plano/ Dallas are crowded. Are you willing to spend the extra "Delta" commute time for the other personal preferences/ lifestyle you are looking for? Both Flower Mound and Southlake offers excellent Public schools, but you are looking into at least 35- 45 mins of commute.

I live in Flower Mound and Tour 18 suggested is further off. Look into zip code 75022. There are gorgeous properties in your range with older communities, open, green , large lots and excellent schools with substantially lower price/ per Sq. ft and value for money.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...750000-1000000

West Flower Mound to Toyota HQ is 20- 23 miles with roughly 35-45 mins drive. The issue is half of the commute is on 1171 that is through Lewisville with lots of lights until you reach 121 business. You have the option to take Toll/ service road.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33.0...2d33.07564!3e0

Same with Southlake or Coppell. Coppell might not offer the feel in FM or Southlake. The point I am trying to make is not to write off communities with excellent schools and those meeting your needs for "commute" reasons until you know the "Delta" commute tolerance and the additional "Private" school budget you have to shell out in areas like Preston Hollow.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:58 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
The area that is (IMHO) developing into the Southlake of the far north of Dallas is Prosper. Smaller town, committed to maintaining a more rural character (well moreso than neighboring Frisco, McKinney and Plano) and a very easy commute up the DNT from the Toyota site. Great school district that is on the up and up and plenty of acreage communities. I see it is not on your list and from your list of wants and needs, the first place that popped in my mind.

Another area that has a lot of communities on homes with acreage is the collection of small towns east of Allen and Plano in Collin County. Look at Fairview, Lucas and Parker. Parts of far east Allen and Plano have large acreage neighborhoods as well. The schools there (either Allen ISD, Plano ISD or for the larger part, the Lovejoy ISD) are all well regarded. Also a decent commute to the Toyota site and just a slightly less frenetic feel than other parts of the area.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:08 PM

953 posts, read 1,829,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The area that is (IMHO) developing into the Southlake of the far north of Dallas is Prosper. Smaller town, committed to maintaining a more rural character (well moreso than neighboring Frisco, McKinney and Plano) and a very easy commute up the DNT from the Toyota site. Great school district that is on the up and up and plenty of acreage communities. I see it is not on your list and from your list of wants and needs, the first place that popped in my mind.

Another area that has a lot of communities on homes with acreage is the collection of small towns east of Allen and Plano in Collin County. Look at Fairview, Lucas and Parker. Parts of far east Allen and Plano have large acreage neighborhoods as well. The schools there (either Allen ISD, Plano ISD or for the larger part, the Lovejoy ISD) are all well regarded. Also a decent commute to the Toyota site and just a slightly less frenetic feel than other parts of the area.
Actually Craig ranch in Mckinney zoned to Frisco schools also has a few acreage properties 0.5 - 1 acre...

Old 03-10-2015, 02:18 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

The only real parallels between Prosper & Southlake are the larger lot sizes & the general size of both towns.

Prosper does not have anything that remotely resembles the Southlake town square, and anyone who has been to Southlake is familiar with the abundance of retail and dining options in the area. Prosper does not offer the same amenities.

In my opinion, the biggest different is location. Southlake's location makes it easy for those traveling out of DFW on a regular basis, whereas Prosper's location makes it close to pretty much...nothing...except for Legacy or Oklahoma. However, if I worked at Legacy, I'd personally live in Stonebriar CC area or Willow Bend.

If anything, the true "Southlake of the North" is actually Fairview / Lovejoy ISD - solely because there is actually developed retail on Stacy with many of the same restaurants & shops they have on Southlake Blvd + the fact Lovejoy ISD has no apartments (similar to Carroll ISD), whereas Prosper has the somewhat sketchy "Mansions of Prosper" complex and the neighboring community, which are known by local teens as a hotbed for drugs.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:40 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
The only real parallels between Prosper & Southlake are the larger lot sizes & the general size of both towns.

Prosper does not have anything that remotely resembles the Southlake town square, and anyone who has been to Southlake is familiar with the abundance of retail and dining options in the area. Prosper does not offer the same amenities.

In my opinion, the biggest different is location. Southlake's location makes it easy for those traveling out of DFW on a regular basis, whereas Prosper's location makes it close to pretty much...nothing...except for Legacy or Oklahoma. However, if I worked at Legacy, I'd personally live in Stonebriar CC area or Willow Bend.

If anything, the true "Southlake of the North" is actually Fairview / Lovejoy ISD - solely because there is actually developed retail on Stacy with many of the same restaurants & shops they have on Southlake Blvd + the fact Lovejoy ISD has no apartments (similar to Carroll ISD), whereas Prosper has the somewhat sketchy "Mansions of Prosper" complex and the neighboring community, which are known by local teens as a hotbed for drugs.
I specifically used this exact wording to describe the relationship of Prosper and Southlake with "is developing into..." Carries a sense of it hasn't happened yet but is on that track. Or at least that is my understanding of the fine points on how the English language works.

You obviously haven't seen the plans for retail at Preston and the Tollway and 380. There are threads here on it. Will be everything and then some that is in Southlake when built out. Until then Frisco and Plano have everything Southlake has as far as retail and then some and just a hop, skip and jump down the tollway. Combine that with Prosper being a quarter of the commute to the Toyota site that Southlake is and I stand by my recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas