Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times

Advertisements

I know the reality of the below. It won't happen for ages, if at all. Even so, I'm talking strictly in "Money's no object terms", though this will inevitably shift into that topic pretty soon.

Three(more or less) east-west lines

1) along northwest highway from about 121 to Mesquite

2) along 635 from about I-30 to the Tollway.

3)from about the AA center along the Tollway to George Bush

All highways are jammed so much of the time, and so many of the jobs (so far as I can see) are along these routes that at least one of them should be worthwhile (personal bias inclines me to think either 2 or 3, but that's just me).

My comments about the funding:

Yes, it'll require an enormous bond issue. Beyond the obvious direct construction of the track, there would also be imminent domain issues ("just compensation" in the 4th Amendment). The latter alone would put construction at a minimum of five years behind schedule if lucky, due to all sorts of "taking" claims tied up in court. Don't even ask about the huge office buildings right in the middle of any proposed right-of-way that's rational.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable and creative than I am can come up with a way to make it work (albeit only in the long run), but this is my best shot at looking at all sides of such a VERY hypothetical proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
DART needs to focus on both improving and expanding its bus service before any expansion to the light rail.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:25 PM

817 posts, read 922,386 times
In spots along the DNT, I don't think there is right of way available. Not sure about the 635 route but the daily users have to be ready for a break from the construction.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
DART needs to focus on both improving and expanding its bus service before any expansion to the light rail.
Agreed. It needs at least 50% more buses for the same number of miles and stops per line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
In spots along the DNT, I don't think there is right of way available. Not sure about the 635 route but the daily users have to be ready for a break from the construction.
Hence, why I brought up the 4th Amendment issues ("just compensation", imminent domain, court tie-ups). Still, I think that would be theoretically and even in principle more doable than a DART route paralleling 635 with any meaningful closeness.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
They could bury it, but....$$$$$$$$$$$!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:53 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,888 times
I want D2 and a Circle Line at or within Loop 12. If suburbia and exurbia want in on rail transit, then they can follow Denton's lead and build their own line in order to hook up with DART. I want DART to focus on the city, now. I also want DART to enhance bus service and make the Cotton Belt an urban transit line (like the other lines) as opposed to a commuter line that is only operating at rush hours.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:39 AM

First, a correction from misediting

I said the following was a (more or less east-west line)

"3)from about the AA center along the Tollway to George Bush"

This, of course is very close to due north-south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They could bury it, but....$$$$$$$$$$$!
Impossible to disagree. Then again, maybe we can get the Feds to help pick up the tab. Texas does have the 2nd largest delegation to the U.S. House of Representatives, after all. Air pollution, reduced CO2 emissions, etc., after all. Plus commuters sick of fighting Frisco to Downtown traffic. Lots of white collar (i.e. high paying) jobs along that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
I want D2 and a Circle Line at or within Loop 12. If suburbia and exurbia want in on rail transit, then they can follow Denton's lead and build their own line in order to hook up with DART. I want DART to focus on the city, now. I also want DART to enhance bus service and make the Cotton Belt an urban transit line (like the other lines) as opposed to a commuter line that is only operating at rush hours.
At or within Loop 12. My NW Highway proposal has that covered. As you said, the areas along the Cotton Belt (Ricardson-Addison-DFW Airport) should follow Denton's lead and fund their own, especially if that's primarily a suburban route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas