Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

I want to know how people go shopping in the North when there is 3 foot of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
FYI--I shop and put items on conveyor slide so that all the frozen can be packed in one resuseable bag, all refrigerator items in separate bag, then canned, then breakable like chips...
if the sacker is paying attention (which depends on the store) and does it the way it comes past the checker, I have bag of freezer, bag of fridge, bag of pantry, and then other bag...
makes it easy to unpack when I get home...

did it that way when I shopped this week at Publix in FL and got complement from the sacker about how easy it was to pack...
like I said--some sackers pay attention...
AND you have to bring reuseable bags--plastic ones never hold enough
We have insulated bag we bought at Costco for meat and cold items that we take when shopping there cause it is in Southlake and that can be 30 min run w/traffic...but not to just grocery stores when in TX--they are very close to house

Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
I try to logically place my items on the conveyor too.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
I want to know how people go shopping in the North when there is 3 foot of snow.
I used to live in a small town in Central Texas 65 miles from the nearest city with a good grocery store. We'd buy meat & ice cream in the middle of the summer and drive it back in the AC and there was never a problem. Only occasionally if we were buying a lot of meat would we take a cooler in the car.

And the answer to your question is snowy cities has snowplows and they move the snow elsewhere. They even have sidewalk versions not that different from lawnmowers that are used for sidewalks in commercial and retail areas. In neighborhoods, you are on the hook for shovelling your own walk, and can get a ticket if you don't.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I try to logically place my items on the conveyor too.
Me too, but I'm long past being annoyed by cashiers reaching around on the conveyor to scan things in a weird order. They don't pay any attention to how I put it on the conveyor, and the baggers don't bother to put my frozen items in the insulated bags. They just cram things into bags as they shoot off the scanner. I just shake my head at it at this point. The baggers at my supermarket are...erm..."special," and it's not their fault that Kroger doesn't train them properly.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,883 times
Yall don't even get me started on grocery item conveyer belt placement/bagging/ lack of checker and sacker training. I worked at a grocery store in HS in the 90s during the time of saving money by having the checker sack the groceries as they scanned. We were ranked weekly on items per minute scanned and bagged. As a result my husband calls me the Jerry Seinfeld of grocery shopping and most of the time I politely let the sacker know that I prefer to bag the items myself using my own reusable bags (http://www.amazon.com/MY-ECO-Shoppin.../dp/B003YHMZ7W) which are these and they are great!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 AM

290 posts, read 387,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In the Northeast we have snow plows.. they are generally used for moving snow off of the roads so that people can get in their cars and drive on them

When heavy snowfall is expected, then you simply go shopping before the snow hits that way you do not need to go anywhere until the roads are clear a WHOLE day later. Snow and/or ice does not sit on the roads until it melts like here in TX. It is pre treated well, and the trucks are out during and after the storm cleaning up and dropping salt. Very rarely are you "snowed" in for more than a day or so. (Unless you lived in Boston this past winter lol)

And snow blowers are what Overdog was mentioning for the sidewalks.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Buy some ice cream and a couple of bags of frozen veggies. Bag that with the meat products. I learned that as a kid more than fifty years ago... before Texas had electricity. No idea how those frozen veggies got there.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:06 PM

100 posts, read 187,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Moved here from Northern Illinois, we just did it when you had to. We had snow plows. And even when we didn't many of us had snow tires we'd swap on to our cars in late November. Snow wasn't often a big deal really. When a serious blizzard hit (high winds, several feet of snow in a short time, ect) then everything shut down. Though I still remember times when people had to abandon their cars in Chicago because traffic go backup so far the roads were blocked with cars making it impossible to plow.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:22 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
When heavy snowfall is expected, then you simply go shopping before the snow hits
When apparently everyone buys milk, eggs and bread, thus earning those the sobriquet "French Toast storms".

A tradition I've adopted down here when it ices/snows is to make French Toast for my daughter as a reference to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas