U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times

Advertisements

We are going to be re locating from just south of Salt Lake City UT to Dallas TX. I've visited family there before but all in all am pretty unfamiliar with Dallas. I'm interested in knowing how it compares as well as good places to live?

How does Dallas compare with Salt Lake City with weather? People? Culture? Activities? Outdoors?...etc.

Also, where would you recommend renting that is within a 30 minute drive from downtown Dallas? We currently live in an area south of Salt Lake City and really enjoy it. We live in a smaller and established community. We love the outdoors (hiking, camping, sports, boating, eating out, shopping...etc.) and the "small town" feel of where we live. We are thinking of renting for the first 6 months to a year in Dallas to familiarize ourselves. We'd like to be around people more our age (27), somewhat close to restaurants/shopping mall, and close to some good outdoor activities. I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:31 AM

4,536 posts, read 2,523,085 times
- Weather is less varied than SLC, and it's hot here for about 8 months of year. Fall and spring are short, winter is mild.
- I'm not familiar enough with the people of SLC to make a comparison. There are comparatively few Mormons and many evangelicals here, if that is relevant. The vibe is generally conservative and religious.
- As for activities, there are a lot of museums, great restaurants and sporting events. DFW gets a lot of concerts coming through as well. Driving is also a popular activity.
- The outdoors here suck, especially compared to SLC. Others may try to come along and dispute this point, but it's true. There are places to camp and fish, etc., but they are nothing compared to SLC. There are some lakes, but their quality will depend on your experiences elsewhere.

Renting is a good idea. DFW is huge.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:10 AM

995 posts, read 2,062,913 times
Having been to Salt Lake City a couple of times, Dallas feels much more big city and the suburbs feel like they are part of a big metro in comparison as well. DFW as a whole is much more diverse as well. This is not a diss or anything, but SLC is really really white. Like alarmingly so, I thought. Not a good or bad thing. Just was surprised to the point of noticing. Dallas doesn't have the same type of outdoor activity or natural beauty either, but its not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. There are plenty of hike and bike trails. You just have to realize the challenge here is the heat as opposed to the terrain. It can be really oppressive even compared to hotter places.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 44,293 times
I lived in Alpin (utah county) until graduating from BYU - continued with some more schooling in Texas and eventually ended up in McKinney.

Overall cost of living is about the same. Utah has state income tax... Texas higher property tax. Real estate is just about even. It really is all about location location location. Just like in Utah Holladay or Millcreek or Park City is pricey... in Dallas University/Highland Park is pricey. Some of the surrounding areas are "cheap" and others comparable. In Utah you can live in Magna and it'll be super cheap compared to Cottonwood Heights where it's much more expensive.

I HATE being away from the mountains. I go up to Utah at least 4 times a year to get my outdoor fix in. There are some nice parks down here. A couple of small hills here and there... but nothing like Utah at all.

Summer is pretty rough... but you just look at it like you look at Utah in the winter, that is, you only go outside if you are playing in the water, whereas in Utah you only go outside if you are playing in the snow.

We have any big box store you could think of... all the "arts" you want... tons of bands tour... museums... restaurants.

Collin County is pretty homogenized, similar to but a little more diverse than north Utah county. SLC has more diversity, but not close to the diversity you see in Dallas.

We are LDS but we like that fact that there is so much more diversity around us here than in Utah.

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 AM

1,053 posts, read 634,429 times
I grew up in South Jordan, Utah and have lived in Texas for 20 years. Most of my family still live in Sandy. If you enjoy outdoor activities like fishing, camping, hiking, mountains, etc. DFW will be disappointing. Get a pool or a boat! I still miss the mountains. Summer lasts from about April to November. It does not cool off here at night in the summer like in Utah.There are 7 million people in the metroplex. It is huge. You did not mention if you have kids. Overall Dallas schools are not that great. People are friendly and no one has ever asked what religion I am. Lots of concerts, museums, good food. Traffic is a nightmare. DFW infrastructure has not kept pace with everyone that has moved here. The best thing about Texas is no state income tax! Electric bills, homeowners insurance and property taxes much higher. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:41 AM

19,865 posts, read 59,870,717 times
Lived hre 2.5 yrs before someone asked me if I attended a church. To be fair, we were having coffee and one of the others was talking about her son's involvement in a youth ministry.

I lived in SLC for 11 yrs and loved it. DFW is completely different. Come with an open mind and enjoy what it has to offer.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 AM

10,809 posts, read 10,968,971 times
It is hot here in the summer for sure. Over the long haul we've averaged 18 100F days per year - nearly all of them in July and August.

However, the notion that it's very hot here 8mos per year is ridiculous. We only have 5 months per year with an average high over 80F.

Month - avg. high temp - avg. low temp (since 1899)
Jan. - 54.1 - 32.7
Feb. - 58.9 - 36.9
Mar. - 67.8 - 45.6
Apr. - 76.3 - 54.7
May - 82.9 - 62.6
Jun. - 91.9 - 70.0
Jul. - 96.5 - 74.1
Aug. - 96.2 - 73.6
Sep. - 87.8 - 66.9
Oct. - 78.5 - 55.8
Nov. - 66.8 - 45.4
Dec. - 57.5 - 36.3

Old 03-17-2015, 12:16 PM

4,536 posts, read 2,523,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It is hot here in the summer for sure. Over the long haul we've averaged 18 100F days per year - nearly all of them in July and August.

However, the notion that it's very hot here 8mos per year is ridiculous. We only have 5 months per year with an average high over 80F.

Month - avg. high temp - avg. low temp (since 1899)
Jan. - 54.1 - 32.7
Feb. - 58.9 - 36.9
Mar. - 67.8 - 45.6
Apr. - 76.3 - 54.7
May - 82.9 - 62.6
Jun. - 91.9 - 70.0
Jul. - 96.5 - 74.1
Aug. - 96.2 - 73.6
Sep. - 87.8 - 66.9
Oct. - 78.5 - 55.8
Nov. - 66.8 - 45.4
Dec. - 57.5 - 36.3
I think most people who live here and have lived elsewhere would describe April and October as generally hot. There periods of reprieve, which is why the averages are lower, but there are many days in the 80s, and some in the 90s, in both months.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 PM

1,053 posts, read 634,429 times
My definition of "hot" is when you need to turn the AC on. It seems to run from April to November most years. Already had to turn it on when we were near 80 last week.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,592,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
My definition of "hot" is when you need to turn the AC on. It seems to run from April to November most years. Already had to turn it on when we were near 80 last week.
That seems really early to turn your AC on. How hot was your house? Mine hasn't gotten over 70 downstairs and 73 upstairs this year. Definitely way too cool for the AC for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas