Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:04 PM

23 posts, read 49,037 times

Advertisements

I received an amazing job offer in Dallas, which is contingent on my husband finding a decent job too.
He is a highly rated teacher with master, specialization and 21 years of experience teaching.
He teaches 8th and 11th grade history and has applied for all openings we found in the suburbs around Dallas.
No one has called back yet. We realize it is early, but wonder if it will be hard for him to get a job in a good district because of how many years he has (more expensive than first year teacher), or because he still doesn't have the Texas certification (although applied already and should have it in the next month.
The job would be for 2015-2016 year only.
I badly want to say yes to my job, but I am nervous about him not having a job yet....
Any teacher to give some input here???

Last edited by Acntx; 03-18-2015 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Edited message per OP request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,439,554 times
There are NO bad schools. It is what you make of it. Children are children anywhere you go. Care to to explain what a "bad" school is in your opinion?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,448,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
There are NO bad schools. It is what you make of it. Children are children anywhere you go. Care to to explain what a "bad" school is in your opinion?
Yeah? My wife is a substitute teacher who has experience in many many schools. She's had fistfights in classes, watched parents brawl outside the school -

OP, it's not a pick and choose. Your hubby has better creds than my wife, but in 2009 DISD laid off 350 teachers and the whole state laid of thousands in subsequent years. We've been here for 6 years and she's still subbing.

Subs here make $100 a day. I don't even know why she bothers.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:41 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,526,674 times
If it is such a good opportunity why not commute since it is one year of your life? You didn't share your location but TX is not the "teacher friendliest" state in the Union. Sounds counterintuitive to uproot his position in a school for a one year gig.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 PM

385 posts, read 487,311 times
This doesn't apply to everyone, but it seems like the mentally strong teachers are able to thrive in any environment, urban or suburban.

The teachers that want it easy opt for suburban districts. I think most teachers in DISD know what they are getting into.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 PM

5,428 posts, read 4,431,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
If it is such a good opportunity why not commute since it is one year of your life? You didn't share your location but TX is not the "teacher friendliest" state in the Union. Sounds counterintuitive to uproot his position in a school for a one year gig.
Not necessarily true. I've known of teachers in their 20s around making some pretty good coin for someone in that age bracket.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:32 AM

11,825 posts, read 26,757,405 times
Quote:
Many of the urban schools in both Dallas and Fort Worth would be considered "bad" due to the violence of the students, and their poor academic record. This is especially true in the secondary schools.

I agree that since it's only a year, you really might look at commuting. My husband did this for a year (Army reserve offered him a year tour in Virginia) and we weren't about to give up our house her and my great job. I flew out and visited once a month, and he came home once a month. We made it work!

Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,526,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Not necessarily true. I've known of teachers in their 20s around making some pretty good coin for someone in that age bracket.
I didn't say that teachers can't make a good wage in TX, I said TX isn't the teacher-friendliest state in the Union. Not dogging TX at all- I love it here and don't like it when people talk bad about it or constantly compare it to other states- but the fact is especially in the public education arena we aren't the top of the heap. And the way teachers were treated with Rick Perry in office IMO was lousy.

Last edited by 4Movingeast; 03-19-2015 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: grammar!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 AM

419 posts, read 551,088 times
Did I misunderstand something? Why is the job only for a year? No way 20 years into a career am I picking up, quitting my job, and relocating for my spouse to take a temp job. What comes next? Move back and try to find another job now that Im even older and have a 1-year gig on my resume? I know that isnt your original question and Im sure you have your reasons. Just think it through...

There does seem to be a lot of younger teachers and from what I hear from my teacher friends that transferred from other states, they had to "pay their dues" in the Dallas schools and similar before they could get an interview in better suburbs unless they specialized in something in demand.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:35 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,204,603 times
Quote:
100% disagree. Unfortunately, quite a few schools are unsafe and full of "children" (as you call them) who are at best disrespectful, at worst violent criminals. In my book, a violent school is a bad school. Many schools are battling really bad drug issues, with drug trafficing occurring at school. Drugs & violence can start as early as 5-6th grade in some communities.

Some recent local examples:
The first one is in today's paper->
Teachers Criticized For Not Breaking Up School Fights « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Bullying Turns To Physical Violence Against Special Needs Girl « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

This one is a student who assaulted a teacher-->
Video: Spruce High School fight divides Dallas ISD trustees, Superintendent Mike Miles and community members | Dallas Morning News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas