U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 AM

152 posts, read 649,166 times

Advertisements

I was just hoping to get every bodies thoughts on these two areas. I looked at a few homes in each area this weekend and they both seemed pretty nice. The one in Caruth Terrace backed up to a DART rail(had an alley and then the big wall separating it) so I am not sure bad of a thing that would be. All the houses we looked at also feed into Lakewood elementary which we would really like as we have one on the way.

We really like the area around White Rock Lake and would like to be close to it, and these houses also put us close to where my wife will be working along 75(like less than 2 miles lol). We would love to be in Lakewood but our $250k price limit puts a damper on that

We are really trying to decide if we want to be close like these areas or be just north of 635 in the Richardson area(looked around Richland college) where you get a much larger house(maybe with a pool) for less money. I would assume the appreciation would be greater in these areas over Richland ones but I have no idea.

We don't know a lot about any of these areas as we just started looking at houses.

Thanks for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:54 AM

16,086 posts, read 39,372,114 times
University Terrace (north of DART) is mostly in Dan D. Rodgers Elementary as is Ridgewood Park -- the 'college' streets off Trammel (Rutgers, Clemson, Lehigh etc) are in Lakewood Elementary. West of Abrams, Caruth Terrace is in Stonewall Jackson (I can vouch for these homes, my parents bought a house there in 1973 and it is solid as a rock). It's an extremely convenient area and very well-kept.

Growing up there, Richland College seems very far north. Also around Richland there are some deteriorating properties which could get much worse. No danger of that around Caruth Terrace. The apartments just south of The Village along E. University are very well-built and many are owner-occupied condos, but some of them are being demolished for higher end housing anyway. SMU students and staff keep the demand high.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,237,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Growing up there, Richland College seems very far north. Also around Richland there are some deteriorating properties which could get much worse.
I agree... while the homes in the area around Richland College are nice... the area is not. It is, and has been, deteriorating at a rapid rate caused by the mostly crime-ridden, lower-end condos/apartments that surround the college.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,609,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
We really like the area around White Rock Lake and would like to be close to it, and these houses also put us close to where my wife will be working along 75(like less than 2 miles lol). We would love to be in Lakewood but our $250k price limit puts a damper on that
There are more than 250 properties <$250k listed within 1.5 miles west/north/east of White Rock Lake.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,421,910 times
Oh, I used to live near Richland College (near Walnut and Audelia) about 15 years ago and the area is BAD BAD.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM

Heh, ok then I guess that area is off the list.

My wife and I both wanted to focus on the White Rock Lake area anyway

About the DART train. What are your thoughts on buying a house that backs up to the DART tracks? Also how is Stonewall Jackson?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,076,319 times
It's a very nice area. But I'd pick something in the Stonewall Jackson or Lakewood Elementary zones.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,421,910 times
Stonewall Jackson is one of the better elementary schools in Dallas ISD. It's unique in that he has the deaf program there and all the kids learn sign language. I heard there is some difficulty actually getting into it though. It fills up and then you get directed to an overflow school.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 PM

Ahhh, good to know FarNorth.

Thanks again everybody for all your input. Now we just need to get this house sold in SA

Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 PM

4,198 posts, read 14,566,035 times
Check out the Lake Highlands area too. You get a lot for your money there.

I would never recommend to a client to purchase a house that backs to a DART rail unless the house has a very unique feature that would make it very desirable for another buyer to want in the future. The DART may not bother you, but think about resale...

Take your time shopping since your house hasn't sold yet. There is lots of inventory out there...

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas