Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 5,799 times

Advertisements

Seagate is based in OKC and yes they charge approx $599. you could also try Ace Data Recovery based in plano. Both are good options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 PM

76 posts, read 92,617 times
Seagate is based in California but yes, they can try to recover for you. They take all drives, not just their own.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:03 AM

756 posts, read 833,575 times
Lightbulb Do It Yourself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickbear View Post
I'm seeking recommendations for a reliable and reasonably priced place in the Dallas area to take a WD external 1TB hard drive that has no ability to power up when plugged in any more. A new cord was purchased and did not help power up the external drive. I bought this in 2009 and never understood the need to back items up on cloud until now I have about 400GB of data to recover from it, but can't believe some prices have been up to estimates of $1500!!!

I know some say the data determines the price tag and what it is worth. To be honest, it is priceless since it is 5 years (birth-now) of our three children's photos & home movies. Thanks for any help fellow posters can provide. I'm sick to my stomach about all of this right now and wish there was a way to fix this without dropping the amount initial estimates may require.
I am going to give this suggestion: Take the "external hard drive" device apart. Remove the actual hard drive from the device and plug this actual hard drive into a docking station. Turn the docking station on and connect to a computer. See what happens.

Be careful when selecting a docking station. The red and black "All In One HDD Docking" is not compatible with Western Digital hard drives.

The cost of a docking station should be less than $100.00 USD.

Last edited by In_Correct; 03-26-2015 at 01:14 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 AM

756 posts, read 833,575 times
Question Lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_rizzo View Post
Seagate is based in OKC and yes they charge approx $599. you could also try Ace Data Recovery based in plano. Both are good options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
Seagate is based in California but yes, they can try to recover for you. They take all drives, not just their own.
Seagate is based in Ireland.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 AM

76 posts, read 92,617 times
Incorporated in Ireland but based in Cupertino. I used to drive by their campus on my way to work every day.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:01 AM

5 posts, read 5,799 times
What I meant to say that their data recovery lab is In OKC.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:10 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,788 times
I will second two recommendations here -- first the external hard drive may well be a regular hard drive (SATA or ATA, whatever) inside a case, so it's possible the USB or whatever connection portion is broken and try the drive itself in a computer or docking station. This may be outside the OP's comfort zone, however.

The other one is Ace data recovery, they do a good job. Free estimates also.

Price-wise any good data recovery will be expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: