Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candimom View Post
Thanks everyone. And I'm not thinking brand new, but maybe built after 2000. All of the homes we have lived is thus far were 1986 and older. And yes, not in bad shape, but was just hoping for something newer to us, maybe, lol. At this point, I think I'm leaning toward commute and ISD, and not so much near family since we do only see them a couple times a month.

So does that leave me with Plano and Richardson? Any others that come to mind?
It leaves you kind of with nothing in Richardson, since most newer construction there is well out of your price range. Most 3-bedroom houses in my neighborhood (built mostly in the late 1950s) is also out of your price range. All you'd be able to find would be smaller fixer-uppers unless you were willing to spend more.

If maintenance issues are your main concern with older homes, a good thorough inspection and a home warranty can go a long way towards putting your mind at ease.

If you simply prefer the look & feel of newer houses from an architectural perspective...can't help you there.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM

459 posts, read 1,741,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candimom View Post
Thanks everyone. And I'm not thinking brand new, but maybe built after 2000. All of the homes we have lived is thus far were 1986 and older. And yes, not in bad shape, but was just hoping for something newer to us, maybe, lol. At this point, I think I'm leaning toward commute and ISD, and not so much near family since we do only see them a couple times a month.

So does that leave me with Plano and Richardson? Any others that come to mind?
I'm not sure if you'd be able to find anything in that price range in the places of Plano that would give you a 45 min commute.

I live in West Plano and I work in Addison (belt line & tollway) and it takes me 35-40 minutes...

My sinking feeling, since our budget was very similar when we searched for our home (230K max), most of what you're going to find in Plano that would fit your bill or close to it is going to be zoned to PESH. PESH would likely put your commute to Addison over 45 minutes, if under - then you'd likely be shelling out for tolls.

Most homes that zone to PSHS or PWSH that would give a more favorable commute are going to be out of budget in most circumstances or very small in terms of sqftage and size. The houses that would show up in your price range that zone to Senior or West in a condition you are looking for are likely going to end up with getting priced out because of how high over list a lot of properties in those areas are going for right now. You might be able to find a property that needs some work though if you were open to that.

We lucked out and found a house listed at 185 that zoned to PWSH and a couple of miles from Toyota development (much in demand), but we ended up having to pay 196K on the contract for it and fighting with a lot of people along the way. This was in October. We lucked out. A house down the street ended up listing last week that is in similar price point & size and condition and it was already listed for 215K. It was only a 100 sq ft difference, which should have only contributed an extra 12-15K to the price, so the prices here are steadily rising.

Last edited by stargirl007; 03-25-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM

374 posts, read 547,295 times
My aunt lives in Frisco and commutes to Addison everyday. She says it takes her 45 minutes. But there's definitely toll roads to consider

Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,411,996 times
I too worked in Addison off Beltline and the Tollway. Here's my thoughts;

The only towns that offer you anything close to the price range you are looking for would be close to your old stomping grounds; Rowlett, Sachse and Wylie. For Rowlett and Sachse, the commute wouldn't be too bad either. You will get more for your buck in Wylie, but the commute gets longer. It ain't happening for you in Plano, Frisco or Richardson.

The other alternative, look in the southern suburbs. Cost of housing is much cheaper and you will have a better chance of getting what you want for the budget you have, and also be much closer to the parents/inlaws. Downside is your husband's commute will be well over an hour each way, plus lots of tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas