Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:03 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Is there a noticeably different crowd that frequents one instead of the other? What's really strange is that Woodlands Mall in The Woodlands near Houston used to have two Gloria Jean's coffee shops, one a stand and one a sit-down, very close together. Both now are out of business anyway.
Not that is aware of, but I honestly don't go to GVMM very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM

374 posts, read 548,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Right. Didn't yer mama tell you - never talk religion or politics in public? Just bad manners.
Let's add gay marriage to that topic too. I'm so tired of that debate.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Most of the more newer, rapidly growing, upper middle class, DFW suburbs like Grapevine have a decent number of educated transplants from all across the country. It's not like a liberal democrat will stand stand out like a sore thumb. If you were in some one horse town 50 miles or so outside the metroplex, it might be a different story. As long as one doesn't blatantly attack anyone , and uses a little diplomacy upon differing views, no big deal. You would be surprised to find the reasons for conservatism are merely because of fiscal issues, not social issues. Fiscal debates are a lot less emotional, and a little boring, imo.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 04-06-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 10:07 PM

178 posts, read 399,075 times
I really dislike people who talk any politics at a party of all places, tbh.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
It's not that I'm inflexible, and I'm happy to have a rational debate. But (i) a party is generally not the time or place for such a discussion, and (ii) most debates are over deeply held fundamental opinions that aren't going to be changed. I'm not going to convince some hardcore Christian conservative that they should suddenly throw all their efforts into legalizing gay marriage. A hardcore pro-choicer is never going to sway me to their point of view. So why bother? I fully understand their position, I just fundamentally disagree. It's a losing proposition to enter into a debate in which neither party will win and the most likely outcome is being upset at over it.
I argued with a co-worker who believed that the Earth was only 6,000 years old, and while I'm not sure I completely convinced the poor sap, as a geologist I couldn't in good conscience not lay into him for it.

And if someone gets upset over a simple debate about viewpoints, they're probably not worth talking to anyway. Or they belong in American politics.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:05 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
OP: As I'm sure you've gathered from the posts so far, the DFW suburbs aren't exactly made up of a lot of politically engaged individuals, but they do tend to be very red. I share some of the sentiments expressed thus far: I think there is a purpose to a healthy and polite debate, and I don't think it is true that politics and religion should be off the table at all times. That seems to be true here, though. I would not call the DFW suburbs particularly intellectual, although they may be more educated than the average place.

And yes, topics like gay marriage and the age of the earth are somehow still debates here!

Old 04-07-2015, 01:36 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Would they get killed for sharing their honest, non-conservative opinions perhaps at a party?
Probably. But it also depends on how they share it...and who they share it with. I'd say they need to get to know their crowd very very well first. Its rather divisive.

Sports? Now you're talking! Feel free to be as obnoxious as you want on that topic.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:35 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Probably. But it also depends on how they share it...and who they share it with. I'd say they need to get to know their crowd very very well first. Its rather divisive.

Sports? Now you're talking! Feel free to be as obnoxious as you want on that topic.
There's no debate there. DOOK just won, which means it's a National Day of Mourning everywhere but Durham, NC.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
I really dislike people who talk any politics at a party of all places, tbh.
Depends on the party, I think. I have a friend who has parties periodically during the year where she invites a small select group of friends for a barbecue, a dip in the pool, or a night around the fire pit. Some of us have very different opinions about what's going on in this country, who is to blame, and how to fix it. Even when we converse passionately about it, we don't get ugly or argue. It IS possible.

But if a complete stranger walked up to me at a party and started blabbing about politics...whether I agreed with him/her or not...I'd find it off-putting.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:37 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Depends on the party, I think. I have a friend who has parties periodically during the year where she invites a small select group of friends for a barbecue, a dip in the pool, or a night around the fire pit. Some of us have very different opinions about what's going on in this country, who is to blame, and how to fix it. Even when we converse passionately about it, we don't get ugly or argue. It IS possible.

But if a complete stranger walked up to me at a party and started blabbing about politics...whether I agreed with him/her or not...I'd find it off-putting.
This

And there are political discussions besides the national social issues type. For instance, there are a number of road projects, school board issues, and development type situations going on in my area, and I like to hear what people think, even if they disagree. I tend to form my opinion quickly, but so appreciate hearing others reasons for why they might think differently. Shoot, at our neighborhood Easter Egg hunt a guy was handing out pamplets for his school board candidate of choice. I am honestly interested to know more about the candidates and welcome some discussion about it as long as people can be respectful. I know this scenario was not really what OP posted about but it is what I had in mind when I posted that I hoped people could become less reluctant to talk about things in groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas