Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:21 AM

382 posts, read 628,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Would they get killed for sharing their honest, non-conservative opinions perhaps at a party?
Still see occasional person driving around with Obama/Biden car stickers. Didn't see any bullet holes.

The thinking behind this question is based on a perpetuated myth.

If people are asked an opinion and if their opinion is well articulated and provided respectfully, even in disagreement, there should be no problem vast majority of times.

Key point is not jumping in uninvited, and being respectful vs zealous or emotional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:47 PM

230 posts, read 398,465 times
Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post
Still see occasional person driving around with Obama/Biden car stickers. Didn't see any bullet holes.

If people are asked an opinion and if their opinion is well articulated and provided respectfully, even in disagreement, there should be no problem vast majority of times.

Key point is not jumping in uninvited, and being respectful vs zealous or emotional.

Amen to that. When I see these posts I really wonder if people are basing their questions on some caricature of what Taxes is in their heads? I see plenty of Obama/Biden stickers here and nobody is tailgating or running them off the road. For the most part if you don't get in peoples faces with whatever ideology you'd be just fine.

Last edited by billydoc; 04-08-2015 at 11:59 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 11:24 AM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Actually, let's be pretty clear: anybody who's drunk so much of the kool-aid that they actually think that's what Texas is like won't be happy here. Done; next question?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:36 PM

Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post

Amen to that. When I see these posts I really wonder if people are basing their questions on some caricature of what Texas is in their heads? I see plenty of Obama/Biden stickers here and nobody is tailgating or running them off the road. For the most part if you don't get in peoples faces with whatever ideology you'd be just fine.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
Amen to that. When I see these posts I really wonder if people are basing their questions on some caricature of what Texas is in their heads? I see plenty of Obama/Biden stickers here and nobody is tailgating or running them off the road. For the most part if you don't get in peoples faces with whatever ideology you'd be just fine.
You can also easily avoid all that silliness by not putting political or religious symbols on your car.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I live in Tarrant county and have for past 30 years...Texas native that grew up in rural/small town Central Texas just like my husband...
We don't see many Democratic stickers on cars nor have many Democratic voters--check Tarrant county voting records for past 50 years...Once LBJ push through the Civil Rights laws many Texas Democrats turned Republican fairly quickly and there are plenty of conservatives / Tea Party people moving into the state over the years...

This is a conservative, traditional mindset of a state-- look at who is in your Texas legislature
If you think your neighbor is going to be a liberal, then you need to shop carefully for your house because outside Austin and maybe some areas of Denton or larger cities you won't find many liberals...
but you can still enjoy life--you just won't find many people who share your point of view about anything beyond the most generic topics...

my husband worked for past 19 years at company in FTW and made few personal friends there--not because the people weren't nice...they were all pleasant and liked my husband...
he was just too liberal for them to be comfortable... they wanted to blame all ills of society on Democrats and he viewed it from totally opposite perspective...
blind faith in George Bush's decision to go to war, no credit for need for affordable health care act, Rick Perry was doing great things for Texas--
so while he would disagree with some of their ideas about what was going on--it was just counter productive...if you aren't comfortable speaking your mind, then you aren't comfortable...period...so work friendships just never went past the surface...

Old 04-10-2015, 09:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If you think your neighbor is going to be a liberal, then you need to shop carefully for your house because outside Austin and maybe some areas of Denton or larger cities you won't find many liberals...
Maybe for Ft. Worth, but not Dallas county.....

2012 Presidential Election:

2008 Presidential Election:

Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You can also easily avoid all that silliness by not putting political or religious symbols on your car.
You bet. I guess it's like being a member of some cult. But people still have those stickers on even since 2008

Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I think you proved my point-- i said "larger cities" so Dallas fits thst bill I guess
Grapevine isn't Dallas...

Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 AM

382 posts, read 628,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
True. But we have to respect some level of free speech, doncha think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas