Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times

Advertisements

Wow, shopping at Malouf's for a teenager? That's crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:27 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,566 times
As a mum of two very young girls, this is depressing.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Why is it depressing? I for one am so glad that the trend for young girls is a simple, fresh faced look with the shorts, t shirts, and sandals. I am always so glad to see them in groups at restaurants and find it refreshing that the preppy look prevails.

Of course they wear designer stuff but typically they get it at Nordstrom Rack; the average teenager in the NE Tarrant burbs doesn't waltz into Malouf's with Mommy's credit card. Are there some that do, of course, but they are not the majority. I also see nothing wrong with a responsible 16 year old receiving a nice gift of David Yurman if Mom/ Dad/grandparents can afford it, and plenty around here can. It doesn't mean they are all spoiled brats!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
You should be glad they aren't boys. The clothes may be cheaper, but the toys (video games, muscle car etc) are way more expensive.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:40 AM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Why is it depressing? I for one am so glad that the trend for young girls is a simple, fresh faced look with the shorts, t shirts, and sandals. I am always so glad to see them in groups at restaurants and find it refreshing that the preppy look prevails.

Of course they wear designer stuff but typically they get it at Nordstrom Rack; the average teenager in the NE Tarrant burbs doesn't waltz into Malouf's with Mommy's credit card. Are there some that do, of course, but they are not the majority. I also see nothing wrong with a responsible 16 year old receiving a nice gift of David Yurman if Mom/ Dad/grandparents can afford it, and plenty around here can. It doesn't mean they are all spoiled brats!
I wish i had those grandparents!

I'll try to explain. My issue is not with the style of clothing or the price. My kids will probably be capped off at Urban Outfitters, Free People, Splendid and other similar brands/pricepoint. They will need to dress their age, stylistically and financially. Does that make it wrong for others to Louboutin their teenagers for prom? Absolutley not. At a certain income level this is not only common its expected.

My depression is with the fact that this girl and her mother.... In the grand scheme of things to be concerned about when making a cross country move..are THIS concerned about what others are wearing in their new neighbourhood.

I dont have teenagers, and tend to be a bit of an intellectual so maybe i'm being naiive in hoping that my daughters grow up to be the ones that don't care what the newest fashion trend in their new school is. Or that they will be confident enough in their own sense of style not to ask the question to begin with, or that their concerns will run more along the lines of "how advanced is their physics lab?" Or "Will I visit my old friends?".

That said.... I'm learning that in parenting what seems like an aberration now, could easily be my reality later, so no judgement intended.... Its just not something I'm looking foward to.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
this girl and her mother.... In the grand scheme of things to be concerned about when making a cross country move..are THIS concerned about what others are wearing in their new neighbourhood
In her defense, they are coming to Texas, which if you aren't aware, many people from out of state *still* associate with cowboy boots and chaps and vests and the like, and even if they have moved on from that, they still believe Texas is a few fashion cycles behind the major east and west coast cities.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
In her defense, they are coming to Texas, which if you aren't aware, many people from out of state *still* associate with cowboy boots and chaps and vests and the like, and even if they have moved on from that, they still believe Texas is a few fashion cycles behind the major east and west coast cities.
True....

Old 04-07-2015, 11:22 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
I also find it depressing that the "norm" for teenage girls is such expensive clothing. I can't help but wonder what sort of expectations young people who are used to such luxuries will carry when they move into the real world and start their first job with a salary of about 35-40 David Yurman bracelets per year.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yeah, I think it is just something that is important to many teen girls and OP is a good mom trying to reassure her daughter and help her acclimate. It's tough to move in HS! Teenage girls wanting to have cute outfits for school is nothing new
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: