Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 PM

14 posts, read 42,896 times

Advertisements

does anyone know how much would it cost to move a 2br apartment stuff to move from sfo to dallas? also, i am not sure how much it would cost to move the car? does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a good moving company. thanks in advance for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM

152 posts, read 673,834 times
Mayflower and North American(I think thats the name of it) are the two big ones I know of. We have used Mayflower twice. They can get pretty expensive but they will come out and give you an estimate on how much everything is going to cost.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
We had packers put our stuff in our rented Penske truck. Hubby drove the truck and I drove our car behind it. We drove from Sacramento out to Fort Worth and had movers unpack on this end. It cost us 2200.00 for the truck but all told (gas, motels-Hampton Inn's, food) it cost us about 5,000.00 to make the move.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:11 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sale111 View Post
does anyone know how much would it cost to move a 2br apartment stuff to move from sfo to dallas? also, i am not sure how much it would cost to move the car? does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a good moving company. thanks in advance for all your help.
I moved from southern Oregon to Plano last March. I didn't have any furniture (except a mattress/box springs), but did have lots of household items and a motorcycle.

I used Mayflower. I paid $3,160, which also included a packer coming out the day before working 8 hours. It was another $700 or so to drive down in my car.

Most long distance movers will give you a free estimate.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sale111 View Post
The most economical way I know if to pack everything in a UHAUL, get a flat bed for your car and drive it in yourself with a buddy.

When we moved from London to Chicago we used Northern something (american co). the movers packed our trash from the kitchen and bathrooms and boxed it all up and nice... the stuff made the trip by boat (we flew) and about 4 weeks later when it was delivered we had a "nice smelly surprise" yuk!!!!!!!

Last time we moved from Southlake to Dallas we had used some other mega company and they packed everything... used 2 huge moving trucks, 2100 lbs
unpacked everything too... cost was about 5K... Nothing broke this time but a couple of boxes disappeared...

I have referred Apple Moving here in Dallas to several clients including my sister and everyone has raved about their services.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The most economical way I know if to pack everything in a UHAUL, get a flat bed for your car and drive it in yourself with a buddy.

When we moved from London to Chicago we used Northern something (american co). the movers packed our trash from the kitchen and bathrooms and boxed it all up and nice... the stuff made the trip by boat (we flew) and about 4 weeks later when it was delivered we had a "nice smelly surprise" yuk!!!!!!!

Last time we moved from Southlake to Dallas we had used some other mega company and they packed everything... used 2 huge moving trucks, 2100 lbs
unpacked everything too... cost was about 5K... Nothing broke this time but a couple of boxes disappeared...

I have referred Apple Moving here in Dallas to several clients including my sister and everyone has raved about their services.
In my case having Mayflower move my things was cheaper than renting a truck and trailer to tow my car. The trailer alone would have been $360. A truck would have been $1300. Figure in the gas (approximately 8 mpg), and it's very expensive.

Getting estimates from movers, and quotes from U-haul is the best bet.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,785 times
I am moving from las vegas to houston in 2 weeks, very excited. I did look into interstate movers that quoted about $3800 average, then Uhaul, 19' (which I'll have to use to tow one car and drive the other, would cost about $1600 ( & figure that's before gas and all). I decided to go with PODs. (PODS - Reinventing Moving and Storage > HOME). I think they're great and reasonable, you can book, and change your schedules as often as you'd like and no one gets to touch any of your stuff.
Here's how it works. They haev 7' by 8 containers ( cost me $2016, or for 16' container ( got quoted $2600). They drop it at your house, when you want it, you take your time packing and load the container (which can be loaded up to the ceiling), then you use your own locks to secure it. Call them , they pick it up, they can drop it off at your new location within 8 days, or longer if you need to wait to find housing. I think it's a great deal and hope this info will help someone out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas