Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1a. As of yesterday here are some important local lake levels in terms of percentage full of water........
Lavon - 87% - it'll be 90%+ by the weekend.
Lavon is actually 99% full unless I'm calculating it incorrectly....

Lavon Lake Water Level

Ok I see where you got the 87%....but I'm not sure how they are calculating 2.63 feet of 492 13%?

http://www.waterdatafortexas.org/res...dividual/lavon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:12 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Lavon is actually 99% full unless I'm calculating it incorrectly....

Lavon Lake Water Level

Ok I see where you got the 87%....but I'm not sure how they are calculating 2.63 feet of 492 13%?

Water Data For Texas
My guess would be that those last 2.63 feet hold considerably greater volume than much of the bottom 50 or so feet (or whatever it is), since the lake is likely shaped a bit like a "bowl" with sloping wides. But again, this is a Wild-&ss Guess.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM

122 posts, read 163,070 times
Quote:
1. There is one Texas city currently using, "toilet to tap" water recycling, Wichita Falls. So almost no one in Texas is drinking, "our wastewater".
I really wish direct/indirect potable reuse hadn't been branded "toilet to tap"

Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM

352 posts, read 570,384 times
Quote:
1. There is one Texas city currently using, "toilet to tap" water recycling, Wichita Falls. So almost no one in Texas is drinking, "our wastewater".

1a. As of yesterday here are some important local lake levels in terms of percentage full of water........
Lewisville - 91.8%
Ray Hubbard - 79.9%
Texoma - 94.2%
Lake Fork 91.4%
Ray Roberts - 89.6%

Our local drought has significantly eased.

I'm not for a moment claiming TX should relax and do nothing about long term water plans. We probably should spend a couple billion from the state's rainy day fund on desalination and fast track our plans for new lakes.
I agree, the much needed rain was pleasantly welcomed as the weather has been great the last few days (despite the tree allergens). And, I stand corrected, as the articles that I researched previously simply stated "Texas cities" are/will be using toilet to tap, and didn't single out "which" cities were currently utilizing this method of water supply. But more importantly, thanks for discussing this. Sometimes it seems that people forget about this topic when rejoicing over the cost savings of living in Tejas.

Quote:
2. Yes the other guy paying $5,900 is a very good deal relative to the overall state imposed tax burdens in virtually every other state. Either take my word for it or get on the internet and prove to yourself that a state's overall tax burden is what really matters. I understand there is a pervasive fascination with TX' high property taxes. But one's total state imposed tax burden should be the focus.
I did research this and it appears that Wyoming is the best place for a low overall tax burden however, Texas does rank in the top tier. Personally, when i lived in my previous state, my income was about the same as in Dallas, however, my income, property, and a few other taxes were still under $5,900 per year which is why I wasn't sure if that was a good deal. But thanks for the observation.

Compared to most of the country, especially the coastal states/cities, yes, that is a great deal. All in all, Its been a good stay here, and I've had a good amount of "positives" that have allowed me to be well-positioned for the future.

Last edited by USNomad; 04-20-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 12:48 PM

382 posts, read 629,097 times
Quote:

Lewisville - 91.8%
Ray Hubbard - 79.9%
Texoma - 94.2%
Lake Fork 91.4%
Ray Roberts - 89.6%

Our local drought has significantly eased.

I'm not for a moment claiming TX should relax and do nothing about long term water plans. We probably should spend a couple billion from the state's rainy day fund on desalination and fast track our plans for new lakes.
Agree - best to prepare for the future (learn from California's lesson).

And, recycling might be economically, if one adds its value as an "insurance policy" for future droughts.

Quote:
2. Yes the other guy paying $5,900 is a very good deal relative to the overall state imposed tax burdens in virtually every other state. Either take my word for it or get on the internet and prove to yourself that a state's overall tax burden is what really matters. I understand there is a pervasive fascination with TX' high property taxes. But one's total state imposed tax burden should be the focus.
Thanks for making sense. Too many want to compare apples, oranges and pears and ignore the big picture.

For many professions or higher payscale jobs, there is not a huge difference in pay vs the expensive east/west coast locations - not enough to make up for the cheaper cost of living in DFW region. So, for many, net after tax take home is bound to be higher.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM

140 posts, read 178,804 times
It rained last night here in Frisco like a cow on a flat rock

supposed to rain next 5 days

we might be underwater soon lol

Old 05-06-2015, 01:23 PM

206 posts, read 335,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminate7 View Post
It rained last night here in Frisco like a cow on a flat rock

supposed to rain next 5 days

we might be underwater soon lol
We already are.

Lake Lavon

Old 02-10-2016, 11:58 AM

56 posts, read 56,047 times
For me the basic question always is:

Where are all the jobs that sustain all the outrageous house prices?

Where are all the jobs that sustain so many car owners?

While it is true that Texas has a lot of employers. And a lot of good jobs.

The amount of jobs and the pay for this jobs do not justify the high housing prices.

Looks like the national housing bubble and car bubble will blow soon.

Maybe it is time for Texas to properly price everything based on supply and demand,
but not on speculation.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:25 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldemail1 View Post
For me the basic question always is:

Where are all the jobs that sustain all the outrageous house prices?

Where are all the jobs that sustain so many car owners?

Maybe it is time for Texas to properly price everything based on supply and demand,
but not on speculation.
It is based on demand and supply.

Here, read this......

California medical giant McKesson looking at a major office move to Irving | | Dallas Morning News

Old 02-10-2016, 01:01 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's really based on a shortage, one that existed long before any employers announced their plans....and yes, speculation (That demand will eternally go up due to all these employers )

The truth is the employers that are moving here won't have enough employees buying housing to carry this housing market. For some reason people think they do. A little too much excitement me thinks.

I guess that remains to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas