Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 5,194 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move with my family from outside NYC area (northern suburb). I'm curious what it's like coming from NY.

I'm looking into Arlington area. One of my biggest questions is electricity price for a 1500 sq ft house. Also where do people grocery shop? What's the travel like from SW Arlington to downtown Dallas? What's the weather like humidity wise? Also one concern is tornados, how often do you get them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:18 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,179 times
We have deregulated electricity prices so we could have 10 different homeowners quote you 10 different prices for electricity. Some people average and others take their lumps on the high months. There are many different grocery options in Arlington from Costco to the national grocery chains. Also Sams and Wal Mart for those people that shop there.

We have humid days periodically. I have visited Boston, NYC on several occasions and the weather was nothing to brag about so not sure what all the hang wringing is about when people ask about it on this forum. Now San Diego peeps- they can gripe if they want- that climate is worth missing. Tornadoes can happen in the spring but they are rare despite the fact that we are in "Tornado Alley." I've been through a few and I'm still here to yap so there you go.

Why are you looking at Arlington? It's not a bad community but schools are marginal. There are some nice neighborhoods in West Arlington/Pantego but that puts you further away from Downtown Dallas.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 PM

We are looking into Arlington because it's affordable for my budget. I also work for a major bank who has offices in Dallas and Ft Worth.because I figured being in the middle opens opportunity to commute to either depending on where my next career move is after my relocation.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk2tx View Post
We are looking into Arlington because it's affordable for my budget. I also work for a major bank who has offices in Dallas and Ft Worth.because I figured being in the middle opens opportunity to commute to either depending on where my next career move is after my relocation.
Not a bad idea to factor in your next move up the ladder and a possible change in commute. Look into HEB ISD specifically the Bedford Heights attendance area or Hurst/Euless zoned GCISD for better schools and another central location option.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:42 PM

374 posts, read 548,864 times
Schools that feed into Martin HS in West Arlington are good too

Old 04-11-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Not a bad idea to factor in your next move up the ladder and a possible change in commute. Look into HEB ISD specifically the Bedford Heights attendance area or Hurst/Euless zoned GCISD for better schools and another central location option.
I will look into that area too. Thanks for the advice. The commute is not a real concern for me. It takes me at least an hour if not longer to commute to NYC.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison81 View Post
Schools that feed into Martin HS in West Arlington are good too
That the exact area we are looking

Old 04-11-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk2tx View Post
I will look into that area too. Thanks for the advice. The commute is not a real concern for me. It takes me at least an hour if not longer to commute to NYC.
But if you buy in the right area there is no need to do that here, and you can have that time back with your family.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:39 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
For a 1600 square foot house...If the house is all electric and has updated HVAC (heat pump pref) expect to average about $200/mo in electricity and about $100 for trash collection and water. Also don't forget we have vey high property taxes and home owners insurance. Budget about $400/month for taxes and about $200/month for homeowners insurance.

SW Arlington in the Martin HS feeder district is a pretty bad commute to downtown Dallas -- expect about 50 minutes. You would do better in Euless for commute...

Old 04-12-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
For a 1600 square foot house...If the house is all electric and has updated HVAC (heat pump pref) expect to average about $200/mo in electricity and about $100 for trash collection and water. Also don't forget we have vey high property taxes and home owners insurance. Budget about $400/month for taxes and about $200/month for homeowners insurance.

SW Arlington in the Martin HS feeder district is a pretty bad commute to downtown Dallas -- expect about 50 minutes. You would do better in Euless for commute...
I was reading the water and trash collection is included with the electric bill is that true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas