Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 12:05 PM

170 posts, read 260,390 times

Advertisements

I signed the new house construction on June 1st, 2014 and they said the completion date is mid of november. On the same day, I extended my apartment lease for 7 months(jan end as we don't have good days in dec and till mid of jan). Everything went well and I gave lease notice on December 9th and so the leasing office lady told me that you need to pay 9 days in Feb as prorated rate for month to month. I agreed for that.

Now in April 2015, I got a call from collection agency that I didn't pay the final balance for the apartment for which I said, I didn't get one. He told me a address which is not the one that I gave. They entered in their system as 907 instead of 967(on paper it was 967). Also they are saying my lease is till May 2015 and not Jan 2015. I was shocked to see that on paper as I am sure that I signed the lease till Jan 2015. If I signed on that lease, it was my mistake. But I clearly remembered the conversation on that day that, if I go for 12 months lease, I get less monthly rent, but I asked for only 7 months, as I will be moving to new house.

They said, they will check the documents once again and see if they can find any notes(I am not sure what exactly is that).

Now the question is, as the papers are showing May 2015, I may have to pay the early termination fee which is around 1200. What about the collection agency records which is not my mistake and is the mistake from the leasing office side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:35 PM

57 posts, read 85,079 times
where is your copy of the lease?

Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAstris View Post
where is your copy of the lease?
My wife was not there when I am signing the lease, so they asked me to bring her to sign later and they can give the lease copy at that time, which never happened later. Now I don't have a copy of that.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:58 PM

769 posts, read 775,715 times
I was in a similar situation. The leasing office never sent me a bill for cleaning services. The apartment manager was super friendly during the final walk through and verbally told me that everything was ok. The apartment was already vacuumed and everything was clean. A few months later I get a collection notice that I owe approx. $1000 for cleaning. This was a preferred employer no deposit lease.
They insisted. There was no way they would waive that. They also had a wrong apartment number on the collection notice but they basically didn't care at that point because they already sold this bogus debt to the collection agency.

I had three options: pay, court or do nothing. I did nothing and had a black mark in my credit report until I filed to have it removed after several years. I never needed a loan but this is probably a risky strategy.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 PM

just to give an update. Apartment people mentioned that they found that the lease is only for 7 months and I don't have to pay 1200 now. I paid 130$ as the final bill.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:13 PM

446 posts, read 838,371 times
Make sure you have the apartment issue in writing that it has been paid and instructing the collection agency to completely delete the collection from your credit report. It may require a 3 way call to remove, but make sure you get it taken care of to avoid the credit hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: