Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Hmm, they are not listed in the article (only about 10 in each city/area). One is Kirin Court saying, "This spot is ther real Chinesed deal, with more than 160 menu items. You'll have to ask one of the friendly waiters to explain half the dishes or live on the edge and just point." Love that last line, lol.
I can practically see that place from my office! We've been meaning to go try their dim sum. Half the people I've talked to say it's the best dim sum around (most others say Maxim's).

I like the last line too... I will have to live on the edge!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmollie View Post
Where is Mooyah and Jake's located?
Each has at least a couple of locations.

:: MOOYAH.com ::

Jakes Old Fashioned Hamburgers, EST. 1985 - Voted "Best Burger" by Dallas Observer -locations in Dallas Uptown, Lake Highlands, Plano, Austin

As good or better is Twisted Root in Deep Ellum.

Twisted Root Burger Co. / 2615 Commerce St. / Dallas, TX / 214.741.ROOT (7668)

Old 02-08-2008, 03:18 PM

63 posts, read 206,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Well then I need to know where you are eating so I can go there! Because that has been far FAR from my experience. I've tried MANY Chinese restaurants here in Richardson and a few Thai. Some are good, some only OK, but the spicy level never ever comes close to what I'm used to, even when I order extra-spicy I would consider it mild to medium spicy. I am from San Diego and have lived in Laguna Hills and Lake Forest, and spent a lot of time in LA, by the way.

Now the Tom Yum Goong soup at Jasmine Thai in Plano does make my little chile pepper of a soul happy....

I guess it depends on the restaurant. I'd like to help but I only know where the Thai restaurants are. The names I don't quite remember. There's one by HWY75 along Park, I think Bangkok City. There's one by northeast corner of Coit and Spring Valley, has red door. My experience from Bay Area is that I simply request spiciest and can handle it. Here when I say spicy, they ask spicy level 1-5? Of course I opted for level 5 the first time and wouldn't do it again. Only 3 or 4 for me depending on dish.

Not sure about chinese. I think they're not spicy overall, Texas, Cali, or any other places. However, I do think that chinese food in bay area tastes better than here. Dim Sum is also more exotic there.

Since we're talking about food, did you know that authentic Tom Yum soup is clear? Not red.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,760,491 times
>> There's one by HWY75 along Park, I think Bangkok City.<<

I drove by there today, it's on the corner of Greenville and Yale. I wondered if it was any good.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I need to try this place this weekend. They have homemade root beer too? wow!

Old 02-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>> There's one by HWY75 along Park, I think Bangkok City.<<

I drove by there today, it's on the corner of Greenville and Yale. I wondered if it was any good.
No the one I'm referring too is in Plano. Somewhere between Park and Parker in east side of 75.

I think I know what you're talking about. That place is good too but I don't remember if they use 5 spicy level.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:36 PM

6 posts, read 23,904 times
I'm from Ca, my wife and I have been in Texas for 9 months. What you are going to miss is the weather, the beaches, the food, the beautiful hills, the valley, the bbq's all year, the friends, the family and the entertainment that comes with being in CA.

What you won't miss is the high cost of living and the traffic.

What you will hate here in Tx is the weather, cold, humid, and it rains alot. The housing is cheaper but everything else is pretty much the same.

We are not sure we are going to stay here in TX, it's just not for everybody. If I had to do it all over again we probably would have moved to AZ instead, the weather is not as bad, the housing is cheaper than Ca, and you are a 5 hour drive from CA and Mexico.

Really think about it beacause we have been here almost a year and it's just not home, but it could be worse. Research closer states to Ca before you move so far away from CA. Granted, it's only a 3 hour flight to Ca but if you have a family of say 4 you will spend $1200 just on the flight alone.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 23,904 times
I couldn't agree with you more, I'm from Orange County Ca. I think we will head back soon. Yes, I might be able to buy a home here but if you are not happy who cares if you have a home.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 17,421 times
Moved from Northern Ca to Sweat Hole Sherman Tx on the Tx/Ok border. Absoutley hated the Humidity!! The only decent place to shop was a Super Walmart and one other grocery store. Most all of the shops were is one old Texoma Mall. The strip on the interstate was old with some new places popping up, like Cheddars, Best Buy, etc. No beauty like Ca. Lake Texoma was the only place we found with some place to picnic in the summer. If you had a home in Ca that you purchased in the 90's it is a great place to stay planted. Great taxes, utilities etc. Food and gas are high all over. Property taxes in Texas are awful.. Mosquitos, and storms galore! Nothing like living in Ca, beautiful mountains, parks, lakes and streams, waterfalls, etc. Hope to never ever leave again. If you cannot afford housing there is alway a nice, clean mobile home park, or Rent if you have to. If all comes down to where you are the happiest.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 17,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
I moved to a little suburb of Dallas about 10 months ago... and I know you have been getting excited about moving as was I but let me tell you:
You will miss California!
I miss it so so much, I am planning my move back to cali very soon.
You will miss:
mountain views from your kitchen window
Perfect weather about 90 % of the time
lower property tax
Disneyland
everything entertainment is so close
and like everyone said:
Del Taco
Carls Jr
and In n OUt burger (of course)
and believe it or not Sizzler

What you will hate about Texas:

the freeway system is dumb
chinese restaurants are very different in Tx
produce is not only expensive it isn't fresh here
oh and the weather... (yeek)
summer is hot and humid THE WHOLE TIME
Fall does not last longer than one month
winter is FREEZING
and Spring is all Tornadoes all the time
Schools claim to be great but you will find your children are not learning much
Oh and the bugs, they are everywhere weird ones you've never seen before
Spiders are huge and not to mention BROWN RECLUSE (aghhh)
Nothing absolutely nothing to do

Good things about Texas

homes are cheaper
people are somewhat more friendly
life is not so fast paced

Hope this helps..
I too took about 5 trips to Texas before I moved and always enjoyed myself, and thought I would fit in great..
I don't.
it's just so opposite nothing similar to so cal. whatsoever.
That is just about how we felt, other then we had some great midwest friends that had moved to Plano 25 yrs ago. by the way they never took on the YOU ALL accent. Texas just is not CA. And now with real estate taking the plunge, you can pick up some great deals back in Ca, if you seek them out. Texas is a good place Not to be from. A visit is fine a place to live is NOT!! They do not really like folks from Ca. We were looked upon as high flauting outsiders that drove a cadillac in Sherman. Never accepted. And lived on the west side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas