Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Updates: New homes come with new home warranties, in the same way your newer water heater did. I've been looking at homes around Richardson, and most 3/2's on the west side of 75 in the 250K and under range are in need of lots of updates.
There isn't a whole lot on the market right now, but yeah...you'll pay extra for an updated house. I know of a FSBO near me that's on for $270k that needs no work (at least not that I can see from the pictures) inside or out. There's another one nearby for $340k (for 2500 sq ft) that doesn't need interior work at all. The lawn needs some patching.

There's also one nearby that has had nothing done to it almost since it was built and needs extensive remodeling. It's on for less than $200k.

Additionally, I think there is more than one way to define the word "need" when it comes to updates. If there's a plumbing leak or the AC flat out doesn't work, that's a "need." If the windows are 50 years old, that's a "need." If the countertops are in good shape but are just not to your liking (like mine), that's not a "need." That's a "want." If your floors are peeling, warped, cracking, etc. and the carpet is all stained and felted, that's a "need." If you just don't like vinyl and want slate tile instead, that's a "want." YMMV.

Also, you can buy home warranties for older properties. There are several companies out there offering them. Mine pays for itself every year, mostly because my air conditioner is very flaky and needs to be repaired every summer. (Last year, it was the fan motor and the evaporator coil.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Also, you can buy home warranties for older properties. There are several companies out there offering them. Mine pays for itself every year, mostly because my air conditioner is very flaky and needs to be repaired every summer. (Last year, it was the fan motor and the evaporator coil.)
Good info, I had no idea.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Quote:
I have heard of people having good experiences with home warranty companies, but we did not--specifically Home Warranty of America. They sent contractors that were not the type of people I felt comfortable having in my home and tried to get out of the work. And when my A/C needed to be repaired on a 95 degree day in June, they assigned me to a company that couldn't come fix it for 4 days. I found my company to make the repair that day and then fought with the warranty company for 6 weeks to get them to reimburse me. Needless to say, we didn't renew.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I have heard of people having good experiences with home warranty companies, but we did not--specifically Home Warranty of America. They sent contractors that were not the type of people I felt comfortable having in my home and tried to get out of the work. And when my A/C needed to be repaired on a 95 degree day in June, they assigned me to a company that couldn't come fix it for 4 days. I found my company to make the repair that day and then fought with the warranty company for 6 weeks to get them to reimburse me. Needless to say, we didn't renew.
You typically will not get service on the same day that you call. During summer when your AC goes out, don't even count on them coming the following day either because HVAC people are swamped during the summer.

I spent a significant amount of time last August without working AC. I have an attic fan, though, so it wasn't too bad...and I borrowed a free-standing AC unit from a friend for my bedroom.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:50 PM

144 posts, read 205,187 times
You can get a new home in Little Elm, Prosper for $150. A $250K home will get you a lot in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLama View Post
My DH's baby bro wants to move to DFW. They have a $250K budget and two toddlers. They only want new construction. His wife is a SAHM for now and he is a teacher but looking for a career change so no predetermined work locations. They'll buy cash as she has inheritance money. Which towns would you recommend?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:27 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,274 times
The title says starter home. For those out of town; you don't have to send your kids to Plano ISD to be happy or have a successful school career. There are home for this price or below all over the metro. Don't let people here lock you into a few high priced area and make you think its the norm.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:25 PM

73 posts, read 102,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
The title says starter home. For those out of town; you don't have to send your kids to Plano ISD to be happy or have a successful school career. There are home for this price or below all over the metro. Don't let people here lock you into a few high priced area and make you think its the norm.

This is VERY true. A great school district is great, but it ultimately comes down to the effort students put into their own schooling.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:43 PM

144 posts, read 207,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas89 View Post
This is VERY true. A great school district is great, but it ultimately comes down to the effort students put into their own schooling.
It is a mix of school, parents, teacher, curriculum, peers and student. Exceptional students would do good anywhere but that's a small percentage of students who are blessed with MENSA IQ and perfect work ethics. I see my kids getting influenced by their teachers and friends every day.

I would rather give them stimulating enviornment then big bedrooms, media, game, living, formal and dinning. I would rather send them to good colleges then buy them shiny cars.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 PM

201 posts, read 237,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas89 View Post
this is very true. A great school district is great, but it ultimately comes down to the effort students put into their own schooling.
+1

Old 04-24-2015, 04:48 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Couldn't rep you for this one, but excellent comment nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas