Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:23 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times

Advertisements

Yep. Appraisal districts will rake you over the coals any chance they can. We purchased our last home in August of '04 with a CAD value of $72k and an appraisal of $135k. For 04 we paid taxes on $72k. For 05 the CAD re-assessed the home to within $100 of our closing $118k.

They claim a notice was sent in April/May time frame and we should have appealed in June. Interestingly enough, the first notice we got, and I still have it, was in late October. We had a $1200 shortfall when the bank paid the taxes in Nov/Dec.

Of course we can't appeal until June. So our mortgage went up $200 a month, $100 for 05's shortfall and $100 to pay for 06. We did apply to appeal in June and had our hearing in August.

As I've said elsewhere, we dotted our i's and crossed our t's, took a roll of pictures, and had signed and notarized documents from the electrictian, two different quotes for painters, and even one from the previous home owners stating that $5k of the selling price was for cleaning the property.

We won our appeal and the CAD lowered the assessed value to $90K (a $28Ksavings) but only for 06. Becuase we should have appealed in June of 05 when we got the notice in October....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
What? You mean I can't live in a mansion on my McD's income?
I think people from New York or California who either inherited homes in their home state or bought before the decade-long bubble, expect to buy $600,000 homes in Texas to replace their $600,000 homes back home. And then get sticker shock when they find out the size of the property tax bill. What they're not getting is that people who occupy $600,000 homes in Texas make a lot more money than people who occupy $600,000 homes in New York or California. If all they want to do is upgrade their housing, they'll do fine in Texas. If they want to have far richer neighbors than they had back home, it's going to be a stretch, financially.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
I think people from New York or California who either inherited homes in their home state or bought before the decade-long bubble, expect to buy $600,000 homes in Texas to replace their $600,000 homes back home. And then get sticker shock when they find out the size of the property tax bill. What they're not getting is that people who occupy $600,000 homes in Texas make a lot more money than people who occupy $600,000 homes in New York or California. If all they want to do is upgrade their housing, they'll do fine in Texas. If they want to have far richer neighbors than they had back home, it's going to be a stretch, financially.
True. You did not even mention that the difference in the two $600K homes is VASTLY different in style, upgrades, amenities, etc. Here in Texas that $600K is going to get you a pretty darn near nice house in a good area, probably golf course or lake community. It may not be the most expensive in the area at $600K in those areas but it will be much nicer than the one they left in their home state. I love watching that show on the Fine Living Network, "Whay You Get For The Money" where they compare homes in different markets across the country that are the same price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: