Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 AM

88 posts, read 152,326 times

Advertisements

We went under contract on a house in West Plano. It is a much smaller house than our previous so we have been brainstorming some ways that could make the house work slightly better for us.

Paint walls, doors and trim in the kitchen, family room area
Paint the kitchen cabinets inside and out
Remove the carpet downstairs and match existing hardwood (we will refinish all the wood and go slightly darker)
Look at removing cabinetry by fireplace and replacing with bookshelves
Have bookshelves built for small rec room

There are two other things we are considering. I would love to hear some feedback. First is removing wet bar to give us a little more space. The second is to floor in the two story entry at foyer and make the upstairs section (approx 11x6 feet) into a reading nook with built in bookshelves on two side walls and around large window on the front of the house. Our family reads a lot and there is absolutely no place in this house for books so we are trying to be creative and add storage where we can.

I would love some names of contractors, painters etc so I can start doing my research now before we move in July. If there are companies that are a definite no to work with that would be great to know too.

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
If the kitchen is open to the living areas its a great idea to remove the wet bar for more space.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:04 AM

88 posts, read 152,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
If the kitchen is open to the living areas its a great idea to remove the wet bar for more space.
The kitchen is open to the whole area. I would have to see about the doorway that leads into it off of the hallway. We would probably out our small game table there if we moved it. My husband and daughter like to play chess and there is no place for the table now.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:08 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC31 View Post
We went under contract on a house in West Plano. It is a much smaller house than our previous so we have been brainstorming some ways that could make the house work slightly better for us.

Paint walls, doors and trim in the kitchen, family room area
Paint the kitchen cabinets inside and out
Remove the carpet downstairs and match existing hardwood (we will refinish all the wood and go slightly darker)
Look at removing cabinetry by fireplace and replacing with bookshelves
Have bookshelves built for small rec room

There are two other things we are considering. I would love to hear some feedback. First is removing wet bar to give us a little more space. The second is to floor in the two story entry at foyer and make the upstairs section (approx 11x6 feet) into a reading nook with built in bookshelves on two side walls and around large window on the front of the house. Our family reads a lot and there is absolutely no place in this house for books so we are trying to be creative and add storage where we can.

I would love some names of contractors, painters etc so I can start doing my research now before we move in July. If there are companies that are a definite no to work with that would be great to know too.

Thanks so much!!!

Thoughts:
1. Removing the wet bar sounds like a great idea in general. If the sink is along the wall I might try to figure out a way to leave it functioning.

2. I'd consult an AC expert about sealing off the area above you foyer. It's somewhere between possible and very likely that portion of your house is significantly cooled by air from your second floor AC unit. The last thing you want to do is create a "hot spot" in that area especially if that area is on the west side of your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: