Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 AM

62 posts, read 230,899 times

Advertisements

I just got back for a house hunting weekend. Whew! I am exhausted. I looked in Allen, Frisco, McKinney, and Plano.

The SCHOOL that is going to work best for my high schoolers is Hebron. Allen and Plano were too big. Frisco was on an A/B block and this is mid year for them. Mckinney was good but a bit far for my husband to drive to Carrollton and for my son to get to the Dallas Harlequins if he sticks with rugby. Hebron had a semester block schedule, with 4 new classes beginning next week. This is what they are on now.

So I am looking for home in their district. I read that LISD is not a desirable school district. Opinions?

Also..what do you all think of Castle Hills? Any other subdivisions in the Hebron district you would recommend? (home from $300-450K).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
Lewisville ISD is a real big district, some older areas, some newer areas. It's not all bad by any means. I've heard great things about Hebron. There was an article about it in The Dallas Morning News awhile back that said it captured kids from several different cities which sortof doesn't help it have an identity and not many people have heard of the school. It was sortof a hodge podge school and fairly new, but still a pretty good school. That's what the article said. You might go to the dallasnews site and see if you can search and find the article. It was positive.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 AM

212 posts, read 1,153,786 times
I think the best High Schools in LISD are generally considered to be Marcus and Flower Mound. Both are located in Flower Mound.
I've also heard really good things about Hebron. I thought I read somewhere that Castle Hills was about to build it's own High School, but I can't find any info on that now. Maybe I was getting confused with the new middle school they built near there.
I think Castle Hills is an awesome subdivision. There's a golf course, parks, pools, and it seems like there's a lot of community activities.
Wish I could have built there!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:25 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
All the following communities fall within the Hebron HS and are outside Castle Hills.

A part of Frsico is in Lewisville ISD...
Lakes on Legacy
Stonebriar
Heritage Lakes

Also very close to Castle Hills is Coyote Ridge

Estates of Indian Creek in Carrollton
Moore Farm in Carrollton (Sotherby is building some nice homes there)
Kings Ridge & Shoal Creek & HIlls at Prestonwood in Plano

Naima

Old 01-15-2008, 12:13 PM

25 posts, read 107,941 times
What is an A/B block ?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times
Default "Block Scheduling"

Quote:
Originally Posted by napervilletodallas View Post
What is an A/B block ?
When I was in HS, (dang, a Decade ago, i'm getting old ) we had A/B blocks, which means that on M/W/F, you'd have four classes on an "A" schedule. On Tue/Th, you'd have four classes on a "B" schedule.

The "block" meant that classes were 90 minutes rather than 45 minutes.

So, it was really handy in getting a lot of your credits out of the way, because you had 8 classes a week rather than 7 a day. By the time I reached my senior year, I got to leave school at 12:30 rather than 3:30.

Hope that helps. Some schools do it, some don't.

Ya'll don't do Year Around school in Texas do you? I can imagine how well that would go over in the summer months...

Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Give Lewisville a chance. It's really spread out over a huge area, but you'll like some of the newer neighborhoods being built, mostly on the east side in the Castle Hills subdivision. That's one of the real hot areas.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 AM

133 posts, read 534,365 times
LISD is a huge school district; some parts are good, others are not so good. Howver, Flower Mound and Marcus are both extremely good schools (they're considered to be some of the best in LISD), and they're both on the block schedule. I graduated from Marcus last year, and I have nothing bad to say about the education I received there. I haven't heard too much about Hebron, but from the few people I know there it's a good school.

Flower Mound is a really nice area. I live in Highland Village (Castlewood to be specific), and it's a nice neighborhood. I can get to Carrollton in about 20 to 25 minutes. There are also some nice homes in Lewisville; some are a little older, but there are new subdivisions going up all over the place around here.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 AM

133 posts, read 534,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Ya'll don't do Year Around school in Texas do you? I can imagine how well that would go over in the summer months...
Oh, lord no. Haha. They've put the entire state of Texas on the same schedule now where kids start back to school after Labor Day and get out for the summer in the middle of June... or something like that. It doesn't apply to me now, so I don't pay much attention to my little brother's whining about it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas