Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 01:36 AM

7 posts, read 10,398 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area soon, and I need to find an apartment. I would like to live between my work and Club 8 at 2645 Lyndon B Johnson Freeway, Dallas, TX 75234 where I will be dancing west coast swing. My work will be just south of the DFW airport (at the intersection of 97 and 183). I also like living close to a good public library. This will likely determine where exactly I will live.

I am a young professional, so the quality of schools is not important to me. I also do not really go out, so I'm not looking for that, but I will want to get to know people my age somehow. I am female, and I do want to consider security. If possible, I would also like to be able to walk to the grocery store from my apartment. I might take the DART/TRE to work or I might drive to work.

I previously lived in Grapevine for a few months, and I enjoyed the Hurst Public Library, which had a good selection of movies and books. I was a little disappointed with the Grapevine Public Library because they did not have current movies.

Can you suggest any libraries on the par of the Hurst Public Library located in between my work and dance locations? Are there libraries like that in safe areas and somewhat close to a grocery store? If not, I can give those things up.

TLDR:
Please suggest libraries with good movie and book selections in the area between Club 8 at 2645 Lyndon B Johnson Freeway, Dallas, TX 75234 and just south of the DFW airport (at the intersection of 97 and 183).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 08:07 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Irving has 3 good libraries;

Valley Ranch
Central
Northwest

The Central Library is the largest and has the best selection. Its in the downtown section which is on a wonderful linear park and walking distance to the train station. However I don't think there is a good selection of apartments and certainly not a draw for young professionals. Its a highly concentrated area of families and retirees with a high density Hispanic population.

The Valley Ranch library is very good and has a great selection of media choices; and in a area with lots of families and younge professionals. Also lots of newer apartments. The recreation center in Valley Ranch has lots of activities to join. It is a very busy library, and has a very large children's section because that area attracts many professional families as it is in the best school zone for Irving.

The Nortwest Library is new and has a good selection. There are several apartments in the area. Its kind of a boring area with not many great happenings. Very residential, mostly small houses built in the 70's, so not a lot of character to the area.

If you get an Irving Library card, you can open an account online and have anything in their huge catalog sent over to the library of your choice. So, regardless of where you live, the entire selection is available to you and will be sent to your favorite library in a matter of a couple of days.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll start looking based on this.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM

574 posts, read 1,477,966 times
Your dance place looks like it's near Farmers Branch. Here's info on their library Farmers Branch, TX - Official Website - Library. The address also looks like it's near the Park Forest branch of the Dallas Public Library system Dallas Public Library.

The good thing about the Dallas system, and the Irving system mentioned previously, is that they each have multiple locations: you can request items online and pick them up at your most convenient location. I know that Dallas Public Library system carries current movies not sure about the other two systems.

I'm sorry I'm not able to help with which area would be a better one for you to live in. You may have to visit all those areas and get a feel for where you would like to live.

I'm a huge library patron, and the way it's set up here in Texas has been a bit frustrating for me. Where I used to live it's a county-wide library system involving many cities so the amount of material available to reserve online was amazing. Here you are at the mercy of how good the library system is in the city where you live. Each city as it's own library system and you have to submit proof of residency on an annual basis. And even though many library systems participate in Texas Share, you are limited to 5 items at your Texas Share location. Luckily my parents live within the Dallas system so I am able to use their account to have access to a lot more than the 5 items I would qualify for under my library system's Texas Share program.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Thanks! I guess I'll call and see if those systems have current movies.

I'm sorry it's frustrating for you here. I've never heard of a system like that, but it does sound very nice.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:31 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
You could also get a Netflix account for current movies. It's only $7.99 a month to have them mailed to you. There are also plenty of RedBox locations throughout DFW, too.

I would venture a guess that's why most libraries don't bother with current movies. They would rather spend their money on items patrons can't easily get elsewhere.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:57 PM

I'm not good at keeping up with things like mail, so I'd prefer not to go the Netflix route. You also can only get one movie at a time, I believe, but I travel often and sometimes with other people, so I like to get a selection. Thank you for mentioning it though.

I guess that is a good reason libraries wouldn't loan movies.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:12 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
I'm not sure, in this day and age of Amazon Instant and NetFlix, that living near a library should be a requirement. Amazon has a huge (and free) Kindle lending library, and you can rent a movie on Amazon for $2-$4, depending on the movie. Stream it to your TV or iPad or whatever anywhere you want.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:37 PM

I prefer print books, but when that's not feasible, the Amazon library does sound interesting, thank you.

Streaming isn't always an option for me, and I could see those costs ramping up, but I'll keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas