Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:24 PM

953 posts, read 1,822,691 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. What is their modus operandi or what do they do if you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 05:26 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,522,969 times
Yeah, the ITs are more well known for driveway schemes but I would not put sketchy auto repair past them. Do not ever let them into your house, do not give them any personal info, and definitely notify your neighbors. If the guy casing your neighborhood is in fact a Traveller, they are responsible for the first murder in my extremely safe neighborhood in decades. The areas West of Fort Worth (Team Ranch and other White Settlement area neighborhoods) are rife with them. They prey on the elderly and truly do not see non-Travellers as human. They are merely "marks" from which to make money by nefarious means. And those means are getting more and more nefarious.

Irish Travellers, insurance fraud and a murder in Colleyville | The Star Telegram The Star Telegram

Old 05-11-2015, 10:03 AM

140 posts, read 154,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Interesting thread. What is their modus operandi or what do they do if you agree?
very similar to what we had in NY... they are gypsies.
they circle parking lots (home depot, malls, ec..)
they offer to fix your car atvery inexpensive prices, if you agree get ready for them to F^%k your car up worst than before.

i had a friend in NY fall for this... they started doing a repair on a dent that could have been easily popped out instead they drilled and pulled it, than smudged it with putty and spray painted... it looked and was 10X worst than before.. when my fined refused to pay, a few nearby vehicles pulled up with a dozen or so other gypsies and threatened him
he ended up forking over the couple of hundred bucks in fear for his life.

do not talk to them
do not engage them
do not let them touch your car or property (but be polite when doing so, they don't take things litely) also note down the car they drove, plates if possible just in case

if they are repeatedly at your property note down plates and cars and report to police, when they are gone.. remember they know where you live and you dontknow squat about them

Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,164,096 times
Yes, these gypsies are P.O.S. scumbag scammers that should be avoided at all costs. They are in some cases extremely aggressive & don't like taking no for an answer. Do your best to stay as far away from them as possible; don't speak to them (if you can help it) or encourage them. As far as I'm concerned, they are potentially dangerous.

I heard about that tragedy in the DFW area - sickening.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:42 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,265,418 times
Interesting. There was a man in a really run down car walking by every house in our neighborhood, taking notes and offering tree trimming services. My husband saw him walking in the alleyway and told him not cone back. This guy was pretty persistent and we saw him several times over the course of a week. Pretty skanky appearing and I felt really uncomfortable. Now I'm wondering if he was a gypsy.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:15 AM

948 posts, read 1,128,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Delay them if they come by again, cook up a story about spouse on way home and he or she have to decide. Then call the cops. Need to get these criminal out of business before they sucker some one it to it.
Thanks Johnhw2 and ThreeStep. I thought about that option as well but not quite sure since they now where I live. I don't want to **** them off or have them arrested and later get shot by one of their gang members.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 AM

948 posts, read 1,128,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o View Post
very similar to what we had in NY... they are gypsies.
they circle parking lots (home depot, malls, ec..)
they offer to fix your car atvery inexpensive prices, if you agree get ready for them to F^%k your car up worst than before.

i had a friend in NY fall for this... they started doing a repair on a dent that could have been easily popped out instead they drilled and pulled it, than smudged it with putty and spray painted... it looked and was 10X worst than before.. when my fined refused to pay, a few nearby vehicles pulled up with a dozen or so other gypsies and threatened him
he ended up forking over the couple of hundred bucks in fear for his life.

do not talk to them
do not engage them
do not let them touch your car or property (but be polite when doing so, they don't take things litely) also note down the car they drove, plates if possible just in case

if they are repeatedly at your property note down plates and cars and report to police, when they are gone.. remember they know where you live and you don't know squat about them
I didn't think about the number plates until he was gone. I could have easily got his plates from indoors since he pulled in right behind my sedan in driveway. i am going to report to HOA now. These guys doesn't sound harmless from all you guys responses.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,522,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Interesting. There was a man in a really run down car walking by every house in our neighborhood, taking notes and offering tree trimming services. My husband saw him walking in the alleyway and told him not cone back. This guy was pretty persistent and we saw him several times over the course of a week. Pretty skanky appearing and I felt really uncomfortable. Now I'm wondering if he was a gypsy.
A run down car will NOT be an Irish Traveller. They drive top of the line, all chrome everything, lifted, every option late model Chevrolet trucks or Mercedes SUVs, typically with Alaska license plates or temporary tags. Men wear bright colored Ralph Lauren Polo shirts, jeans, and expensive loafers or work boots. Their accents when speaking are unmistakable as well.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:22 PM

15,472 posts, read 10,396,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
The last group that I have direct knowledge of were into home repair scams. Chimneys, vents, lightning rods, fences - stuff that wasn't broken or stuff they themselves broke. A fairly nicely dressed one would come to the door and say they were working on a house down the street. They would ask for money up front for materials, sometimes they came back, sometimes they didn't. When they did come back, they would mess around and then ask for more money. They duped a 90 year old woman on my parent's street. She let the nicer looking one in to pay him and before she knew it they were all inside. She got scared and wrote them a check for several thousand dollars. She called her son, who called and rushed to her bank, but it was too late. I've kinda tired to keep track of them, just to keep my parents informed. I know they have been arrested in Bossier City LA and Goshen Indiana, no telling where else.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 AM

140 posts, read 154,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
A run down car will NOT be an Irish Traveller. Men wear bright colored Ralph Lauren Polo shirts, jeans, and expensive loafers
hahahah spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas