Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 PM

850 posts, read 796,336 times

Advertisements

Ok I know this has brought up before, but I can't find the threads, I moved from Atlanta to Phoenix, but I want to Expand my opportunities in IT, Atlanta has good IT market, but didn't care for the place, but dallas sounds interesting. Anybody from Atlanta move to Dallas care to share their thoughts and opinions and which they like better? thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 PM

850 posts, read 796,336 times
Anybody

Old 05-12-2015, 01:30 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
This forum is much more active during the day, so be sure to check back in the morning/midday for new responses.

In the meantime, here is a list of Atlanta-related threads in the Dallas forum that you might find helpful:
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=17454847

Old 05-12-2015, 06:55 AM

63 posts, read 133,774 times
Yes I lived in Atlanta for 4 years.

Dallas and Atlanta are very similar cities.

IMO, Dallas has the edge in job market for tech jobs, milder winters, better roads for commuting,
shopping/dining.

Atlanta has the edge for outdoor activities like hiking/tennis, neighborhoods are nicer with less of a
cookie cutter vibe, better public transportation with MARTA.

The traffic situation in Atlanta is horrible though, and city planners did not do well with the
suburban sprawl.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:12 AM

218 posts, read 337,025 times
I would move to Atlanta in a heartbeat - love the smokies, homes with large trees.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:48 AM

144 posts, read 205,137 times
They are pretty similar. Both cities are very spread out and results in a beatdown for trying to sustain a successful family life. I think Atlanta an edge because of the scenery and friendlier people. Dallas has a snob mentality.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 AM

168 posts, read 274,539 times
I'm an Atlanta native, was born at Georgia Baptist. We moved to Alabama when I was six, but I moved back after college. I lived in the Atlanta area for over 15 years and made a stop in Birmingham for a few years. I love Atlanta and most of my long time friends are still there. I miss the trees, the food, my friends and the outdoor activities. That said, I would not move back unless I could live within 5 miles of my job. The traffic is horrendous and only getting worse. I do love to go back to visit, but wouldn't move back unless I had the perfect job and could live right next to my office. Considering my company is in Midtown, I wouldn't live there with kids unless I sent them to private school. So the likelihood of me going back is low. And although Marta is more extensive than DART, it still only helps if you live inside the perimeter with the exception of a few stops in N. Fulton. I really like living in the Dallas area too, so not much motivation for me to go back to 3 hr roundtrip commutes.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
It seems some of the "negatives" about Dallas listed above (cookie-cutter vibe, homes without large trees) deal with the suburbs. There are plenty of in-town residential options in Dallas proper that have character, convenience and yes, huge mature trees. Dallas has a great trail system and White Rock Lake is a true gem. And don't forget that Dallas is a city of neighborhoods - great areas, each with its own character. And after over 2 years here, I've yet to run into this alleged "snob" factor. We felt at home here immediately!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 AM

168 posts, read 274,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
It seems some of the "negatives" about Dallas listed above (cookie-cutter vibe, homes without large trees) deal with the suburbs. There are plenty of in-town residential options in Dallas proper that have character, convenience and yes, huge mature trees. Dallas has a great trail system and White Rock Lake is a true gem. And don't forget that Dallas is a city of neighborhoods - great areas, each with its own character. And after over 2 years here, I've yet to run into this alleged "snob" factor. We felt at home here immediately!
I've been here almost 3 years, and I've only run into a couple of snobs. But, there are plenty of snobs in the Atlanta area as well. I beg to differ about the huge, mature trees comparison though. The trees here do not grow nearly as tall as they do in Atlanta and surrounding areas. They are different types of trees, and the climate here is not conducive to towering oaks, maples, etc. I grew up at the foot of Lookout Mountain and worked extensively in the N. Ga mountains. As far as natural beauty, it doesn't get much better than there. And while lots are bigger in the Atlanta suburbs than here, most of the houses are still cookie cutter. But, all the trees and hills in the world can't make up for spending 1.5 hours each way to commute 18 miles in Atlanta. That commute would be close to 2 hours each way if it rained or on Friday afternoons. Dallas will always win for me unless Atlanta miraculously improves their traffic situation. Dallas feels like home to me too!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:23 AM

385 posts, read 488,917 times
Both cities have a relatively low COL compared to a lot of big cities. Both are materialistic. Dallas has better roads, while ATL has better public transit. I like Atlanta's outdoor amenities as well. Dallas has better job opportunities.

They are pretty similar to me, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas