Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times

Advertisements

As noted, we bought in Southlake, although as I've often commented we thought we'd be in Colleyville or Grapevine. This forum was helpful in getting info on many areas, but for the most part we relied on our own research and firsthand perceptions of areas.

Long story short, we wanted "near DFW airport, good schools, on a larger lot (0.4 acre or more)". Coppell would've been perfect location-wise but nothing in our price range with that lot size. Highland Village was a little too far and the houses a bit too close together. Flower Mound...when we started looking seriously at the homes there, it just didn't "feel" right to us.

That left Colleyville, Grapevine and Southlake. Much to our surprise, a house that hit all our wants and was nicer than any others we'd seen just happened to be in Southlake and fall into our price range (go figure!). So that's where we are.

We've generally enjoyed it, and found that the proximity to shopping (the boring stuff, not the fancy stuff) has been more useful than we expected.

This forum has given lots of insight into much of DFW, which has been useful in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:45 AM

44 posts, read 66,608 times
Murphy

Old 05-19-2015, 08:09 AM

216 posts, read 280,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I am curious about where former posters on this forum settled when they made their moves and if comments on City Data helped shape their searches. So, if you did move to the DFW area and had inquired on this forum, please post an update on where you finally decided to live and what were the compelling factors in the decisions you made.

Also, are you happy with your choice and why, or are you unhappy and are going to move. If you are going to move again, where to and why......
I used this forum to aid in my search for my move from Connecticut to Dallas. Previously I had lived in Fort Worth but was really clueless on the different neighborhoods of Dallas. I ended up moving to the Hollywood Heights neighborhood in North Oakcliff. I am now eyeing my next move for my home purchase and I am looking at a couple of lofts in downtown also looking at Forney and Sunnyvale as well. However, my neighbor wants to sell me his home without even listing it so I am now considering that option to stay in my current neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM

100 posts, read 187,412 times
I used this forum to get my guage of dallas. When we first moved here we got an apartment in Valley Ranch (loved that apt, didnt like the area/people) as both my wife and I worked in Las Colinas. It gave us a centralized place to start exploring Dallas from. I cant stress enough how well it worked out having an apartment for a year so we could take our time and learn the area our selves. Almost every weekend we were out exploring all areas of DFW. After 10 months we started looking for housing in areas we liked (North Dallas, Frisco specifically), and found a lovely home around the Trails area. My wife has a new job in North West Plano so the commute is fine for her, and I change my work hours from 9-6 to 7-4, making my commute only 30 minutes now (6:30am traffic is easy).

The one thing I learned quickly on this forum is its full of people who are set in their ways and have inflated opinions of their own areas and often try to put other areas down. No clue why it happens, but I highly suggest to anyone looking to take your time and explore on your own and do not just go by the forums opinions of areas. Its a great place to find the overall area of Dallas that is nice and livable, but outside of that look for your self and find a neighborhood that feels like home.

Last edited by Pagusas; 05-19-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 08:49 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSoonerGuy View Post
I used this forum to aid in my search for my move from Connecticut to Dallas. Previously I had lived in Fort Worth but was really clueless on the different neighborhoods of Dallas. I ended up moving to the Hollywood Heights neighborhood in North Oakcliff. I am now eyeing my next move for my home purchase and I am looking at a couple of lofts in downtown also looking at Forney and Sunnyvale as well. However, my neighbor wants to sell me his home without even listing it so I am now considering that option to stay in my current neighborhood.
Where is there a Hollywood Heights neighborhood in NOC? I only know of the one in East Dallas.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 AM

216 posts, read 280,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Where is there a Hollywood Heights neighborhood in NOC? I only know of the one in East Dallas.
I probably got my neighborhoods confused. Maybe it's called Hampton Hills. It's a two block area that includes Hollywood and Montreal that is bound by Wright and Brandon Street.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post
I used this forum to get my guage of dallas. When we first moved here we got an apartment in Valley Ranch (loved that apt, didnt like the area/people) as both my wife and I worked in Las Colinas. It gave us a centralized place to start exploring Dallas from. I cant stress enough how well it worked out having an apartment for a year so we could take our time and learn the area our selves. Almost every weekend we were out exploring all areas of DFW. After 10 months we started looking for housing in areas we liked (North Dallas, Frisco specifically), and found a lovely home around the Trails area. My wife has a new job in North West Plano so the commute is fine for her, and I change my work hours from 9-6 to 7-4, making my commute only 30 minutes now (6:30am traffic is easy).

The one thing I learned quickly on this forum is its full of people who are set in their ways and have inflated opinions of their own areas and often try to put other areas down. No clue why it happens, but I highly suggest to anyone looking to take your time and explore on your own and do not just go by the forums opinions of areas. Its a great place to find the overall area of Dallas that is nice and livable, but outside of that look for your self and find a neighborhood that feels like home.
This is great advise to use as a model for moving to a new city! I think you did everything right:

1. Rented first
2. Initial area selected based on job locations
3. Spouse find local employment
4. Selected a house to buy after exploring different areas and commute options

Old 05-21-2015, 04:55 AM

69 posts, read 89,194 times
We close on a house in Murphy next week. Can't comment on living there yet of course, but we did a ton of research and comments from here helped provide context for our thought process!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:22 AM

450 posts, read 555,781 times
I asked on the forums where to move and NUMEROUS people said Frisco is only an "okay" place to live.... I lost all trust in this forum a year later.

Frisco is easily one of the nicest place in the DFW metroplex.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:24 AM

450 posts, read 555,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post

I found it mind blowing it takes you 30 minutes to get to work...

I do a 35 mile commute from 380 and DNT to North Park Mall at 6:15AM, I get to work in 45-55 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas