Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:53 PM

58 posts, read 84,071 times

Advertisements

There are so many factors involved in appreciation of a property but yeah if everything else is equal then homes feeding to good schools appreciate well and sell faster. Just few years ago, areas without good schools got swamped with foreclosures. Good schools are sort of a safety net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 PM

162 posts, read 193,796 times
I took two zip Codes (75093 - Plano West Senior High) vs 75074 (Plano East Senior).
Based on the past 5 year data (Median Price Per SQ. FT average) Trend.
75093 Appreciated from Jan 2010 ($114 to today's $140) vs 75074 (Jan 2010 at $74 to today's $101).

Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 AM

692 posts, read 849,247 times
I would tend to agree with NobodyNowhere.
Locally, Irving is hugely convenient (you can get anywhere in the metroplex in 40 minutes or less, often even in rush-hour traffic) but famous for bad schools, and it's $/sq.ft. trend is essentially 0 over the past ten years. (I'd be cautious about a 5-year pull for appreciation myself given the recent issues, and go for a longer trend -- if i pulled a five-year trend Irving would look like it was *on fire* as a market, which is patently not the case).

Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,437,020 times
It all depends on how the houses currently are. IE houses in HPISD will appreciate, and will probably be the most secure investment. Even in down turns, they hardly ever suffer while others can fall out. But sometimes an area just get's hot, regardless of schools. The Oak Lawn area appreciated faster than any other area over a few years just recently, and the schools there SUCK.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,330,546 times
The price of homes in good school districts will be greater than those not so likely at some time they appreciated faster than those not. I am not convinced the differential will grow which is what a faster rate of appreciation would do.

More importantly in a slowdown or price downturn, I belief the values of homes in a good district will hold up better as those woth many choices will want the better school district.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:08 AM

18,512 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This assumption seems to be one that many people make, but I was wondering if anyone has data on this topic? Obviously, homes in good school districts are more expensive than homes in bad ones (generally), but is there evidence to indicate that they appreciate at a faster rate?

Note also that I'm not referring to improved appreciation due to the improvement of a school district.
The expected future value of the house is already factored into the current value. Changes in rates of appreciation (for one house or neighborhood versus another) will be due to new facts that you don't know now -- like improvement of a school district, as you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: