Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times

Advertisements

It does depend on the part of town, but I certainly don't think you'll find the same level of conservatism as Kansas.

I've seen gay folks holding hands in NorthPark, which in one of the more "conservative" areas of the City of Dallas. People don't give them a second glance. Go to Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs and you'll find lots of gay people. It's just not that big of a deal.

Definitely visit first. My perceptions may be a little off. But let's put it this way. I'm straight, Christian and a Republican. But I hope you'll make Dallas your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 06:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
>>But let's put it this way. I'm straight, Christian and a Republican. But I hope you'll make Dallas your home.<<

I agree. My husband works for one of the major corporations here in town and at the holiday party (of more than 5,000 in attendance), there were both female and male gay couples. It was not a big deal.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Maybe it's because of where I work or have worked, but I mostly see conservative, close-minded, racist, homophobic, ultra religious people in Dallas. (Which is why you'll never catch me complaining about all the Californians coming here.) One job was so conservative not only did the gays have to stay in the closet in order not to get fired, so did the Democrats.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 PM

266 posts, read 831,956 times
Thanks for the feedback. Any move is going to be hard for me; I'm not great with change. I hope to find a place that ... helps me be a better person for the variety opportunities there are to enjoy and the experiences there are to share.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
I have maybe fifteen good years left to enjoy life: art, music, people, literature, nature, technology.
While Dallas has some art and music, a bit of theater, it's just what you'd find in any big city. Tech? Sure, that's anywhere. Nature? HECK no, it's too hot most of the year and too cold the rest, and nothing all that nice out there to see anyway. (Yeah, you can visit the hill country, go to a lake, find something nice for a weekend, but it's all a lot of driving and really, compared to a real nature setting, nothing much, IMO).

Fifteen years you're counting on, I'd want to be someplace NICE, not someplace slightly-more-tolerable. Dallas is a decent-sized city, so you'll find some of what you're looking for. But it's still got the stinkiest edges of the old south -- the hatred, the ignorance, the intolerance thrives here. Another poster said it's "no big deal" and nobody gives you a second look. I've watched people crane their necks just to make a point of staring at a couple holding hands walking down the street. In an uptown restaurant, jokes about sitting in non-smoking, smoking, or flaming sections. The whole city will go nuts on halloween, but outside of that? People will probably be all over the map.

I remember a little while ago -- maybe a year? -- Dallas made an effort to attract gay & lesbian tourists. Boy, that made some vocal people mad. Big debate over that. And the boy scouts? Headquartered right here too. ;-)

There's plenty of gay folks in dallas proper. Don't personally know if there's as many lesbians. But still, anywhere you work, like the other poster said, you keep a lid on it -- whether you're not straight, not a republican, not 'born-again', you can't be yourself if you're not 'one of them'. I'm moving away from Dallas this very week in large part because I'm sick of the bible-thumping ignorant boobs. Just this week I mentioned to someone that I had joined the ACLU and they were in total shock. You shouldn't have to hide that kind of thing when you're having a conversation about it already! So, maybe we're one step better here -- we can discuss "issues" at least. But you still can't be solidly on the wrong side, or you're toast.

Sorry to be so down on the city, especially if you do wind up moving here. But I would seriously look for a place that has more of the things you say you want to enjoy in the next fifteen years. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
A stock-broker friend of mine recently invited my husband and I to a company-sponsored wine tasting party. Everybody worked for the brokerage except us and one other guy. There were two lesbian couples there, one of them was the president of the company and her girlfriend. It was no big deal at all, I don't know what kind of companies some of the people commenting in this thread work for, sounds crazy to me.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 20,681 times
Have you considered Austin, TX? it is one of the more liberal Texas communities.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
A stock-broker friend of mine recently invited my husband and I to a company-sponsored wine tasting party. Everybody worked for the brokerage except us and one other guy. There were two lesbian couples there, one of them was the president of the company and her girlfriend. It was no big deal at all, I don't know what kind of companies some of the people commenting in this thread work for, sounds crazy to me.
No kidding. I've worked with PLENTY of gays and none of them were "In the Closet". OMYHEAVENS NO!!! I heard EVERYTHING ! Ya know where you get to the point of, I'll keep what I do in the privacy of my bedroom as long as you do too (honestly, I don't want to hear this stuff from anyone no matter their preference). Even back in the mid-80's I had this one manager that was FLAMING gay..... there was no hiding that . He had pics of he and his so/bf on his desk. Talked about it ALL the time, etc. I vividly remember this other guy I worked w/ back in the 80's. He raved about his so/bf ALL THE TIME at work to us fellow employees and to customers. No one ever avoided him because of it. OHHH, this was HYSTERICAL!! We had this one customer that was around her 70's. She would not let any of us help her w/ anything - she had to have HIM. I know this does not sound funny but if you had been there when it first happened we were all floored and could not stop laughing for a long time over it. Gave him a hard time too about it . It was funny as here was this ULTRA (and I mean ULTRA) conservative older lady that HAD to have the one gay guy wait on her.

I attended both TWU (Texas Womans Univ) and UNT (University of North Texas). This was in the early 80's. TWU was known to have some lesbians although if there were any there I never saw it. UNT was a whole nother thing though. It was out in the open, seriously to the point that when you found a couple in the stairwell you wanted to give them a rpll of paper towels and tell them to go check into a room - still no one ever said anything and everyone just walked on by like it was no big deal. I had several gay professors and there were a couple of gay deans. Being even a Native Dallasite & Christian I got over it pretty easy. Like I said, I don't really care (just don't give me the play by plays ) We have had neighbors that are a same sex couple and no one has ever torched their house or picketed them. One of my kids goes to school w/ two kids that both of them have "two moms". Both boys are VERY POPULAR!

Don't mean any of this to be even the least bit, remote offensive to anyone at all. Just want you to know that there are PLENTY of people in the Dallas area that are in same sex relationships that have great friendships w/ those that are not. We can work together, eat together, play together, etc. It all just boils down to respect. It has been that way even back in the 80's when I first started working and worked around many.

I'd go w/ the Lakewood area. You will find all kinds of great places to enjoy life and each other. Your going to run into bigots everywhere no matter what and people that are intolerant of others beliefs (see, there are people here that are "intolerant" of us Christians ). One of the largest churches w/ a gay/lesbian membership is here in Dallas. My parents Baptist church is neighbors w/ a church that is mostly gays & lesbians. They gladly share facilities when needed, both staffs go to lunch at least once a month w/ each other, etc. The Turtle Creek Chorale has been around for about 30 years and is VERY HIGHLY regarded. There is an actors guild in Dallas that is always busy some friends are involved in and they are one of the few hetrosexual couples in it.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM

18 posts, read 37,508 times
Default Move to Austin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazurasdc View Post
Have you considered Austin, TX? it is one of the more liberal Texas communities.
"More"? Try "MOST". Just saying..

I love Austin, there are some snobs, but don't pay attention to them bc there are a lot of cool people too. I know, off subject a bit, I'm just trying to plug Austin. Trying to recruiting more lesbians I guess!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
Finding a teaching job may not be as easy as you would hope.....and it would have nothing to do with being gay. It's just there is an oversupply of teachers in Texas right now, especially in the cities. You might want to research the job market before researching the gay situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas