Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 4,789 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the responses! This is very helpful. To give a little more information, our price range is somewhere between 300-500K (after looking around I realize that may keep us out of Coppell). We're interested in newer homes, but we are also open to older homes if the neighborhood is nice. We would like to have some semblance of a yard (doesn't have to be large). My wife's job will most likely be in the north-northwest direction, possibly as far out as Allen but more likely somewhere in Plano or Flower Mound, so we haven't thought too much about East Dallas. I think we would be fine splitting the distance, which would allow us to be closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
This is a very biased question. Personally, if I worked in downtown Dallas and was required to go into the office everyday, Plano is as far North as I would go. However, I know some that go up to Frisco/McKinney

Old 05-19-2015, 12:31 PM

58 posts, read 84,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
This is a very biased question. Personally, if I worked in downtown Dallas and was required to go into the office everyday, Plano is as far North as I would go. However, I know some that go up to Frisco/McKinney
I agree. I would never do that. I can't spend a good chunk of my life on highways. I used to drive from Frisco to Irving, hated it with a passion but it was only twice a week so I pulled it off for a year. Never again.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about my asking a biased question..

Old 05-19-2015, 01:12 PM

380 posts, read 368,136 times
I live in Far North Dallas (Prestonwood area) and work downtown. On the tollway, it takes 35 minutes on a good day to get home (leaving a little after 5). I exit Spring Valley, though. Anything north of that and traffic bogs down a lot. Lately it's been taking closer to 40-45 minutes. I could conceive living a little bit farther north, but not by much.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:47 PM

122 posts, read 163,014 times
Also, it can depend on how flexible your hours are. Traffic at 6:30 and traffic at 7:30 in the morning are night and day difference.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:48 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMiddleofNowhere View Post
Your answers will vary

Old 05-19-2015, 01:58 PM

Ah, fair enough. I will probably be leaving work everyday around 6 pm at the earliest, though I will commonly be sticking around until 7 or later. I'm going to have to feel out my schedule to figure out when I should go into work. I know some future colleagues go into the office after 9. Right now I'm leaving around 7 am to commute to my current job, and I'd like to keep to that schedule if I can, but it may not make sense if my team doesn't even get into the office until 1 1/2-2 hours later.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMiddleofNowhere View Post
Your question wasn't biased. Not to me, anyway.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 AM

450 posts, read 555,781 times
Oh, here we go again..... its a biased question. Depends highly on what time of the day you work.

I live near 380 and DNT. I leave at 6:15 and get to work at 7AM on the dot. If 45 minute commute is too much, then don't do it.

However, if you live as far North as me and want to leave at 7AM or later, forget it. Also, if you plan on leaving work later than 4:15PM, forget it.

Until they fix the DNT from Belt Line to George Bush, it will always be congested. That is at least 4 years down the road.

I don't know if it is Texans in general, but no one in Dallas will even fathom driving longer than 25 minutes to their job.... ask everyone in Chicago and New York how long their commutes are.

Different way of life I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas