Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,520,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
I'm still puzzled how Colleyville constantly gets high rankings.

Colleyville is lacking quality city planning, an attractive thoroughfare, a sense of place, upscale retail, and isn't even considered a top-three school district.

All of this and yet Colleyville gets ranked higher than both University Park and Southlake.

Colleyville is not perfect for sure, but if you look at the parameters for the ranking you can see why it scored well. I agree with the lack of planning at the city level (roads are one hot topic) and a lack of upscale retail (will the Village ever get good tenants that can stay there), but GCISD is a great district. It may not be "top 3" as you say in the entire Metroplex but it is only after Carroll ISD for a Tarrant Co option- and I would stack many of GCISD's elementaries and all of our middle schools against Carroll any day. The high schools are hard to compare because of how Carroll splits everyone up so they can stay in the division they want for football.

I know this may come as a surprise, but not everyone who can afford to live in Southlake chooses to do so. You also can't argue with the safety statistics. That lack of upscale retail might be one of the reasons Colleyville IS so safe, and since I can be at Southlake Town Square in 10 minutes I'm fine with that!

Not sure what attractive thoroughfare Southlake has that you think is better than Colleyville- I will grant you the Square is great but it's not a thoroughfare. Colleyville is definitely more walkable/bikeable than Southlake.

"Sense of place" not sure what this means- but if it has to do with identity I would say Grapevine wins that category over both Colleyville and Southlake. I don't know if you are from around here but when we were driving to Southlake for football games in the mid 90s it looked very different than it does now. I feel like we have a great location and a great town, and it makes me happy to see others recognizing it. Definitely not trying to start an argument but had to stick up for good ol' Colleyville. and for the record, I like Southlake and am pleased when it does well on rankings and lists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 01:55 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,624,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Colleyville is not perfect for sure, but if you look at the parameters for the ranking you can see why it scored well. I agree with the lack of planning at the city level (roads are one hot topic) and a lack of upscale retail (will the Village ever get good tenants that can stay there), but GCISD is a great district. It may not be "top 3" as you say in the entire Metroplex but it is only after Carroll ISD for a Tarrant Co option- and I would stack many of GCISD's elementaries and all of our middle schools against Carroll any day. The high schools are hard to compare because of how Carroll splits everyone up so they can stay in the division they want for football.

I know this may come as a surprise, but not everyone who can afford to live in Southlake chooses to do so. You also can't argue with the safety statistics. That lack of upscale retail might be one of the reasons Colleyville IS so safe, and since I can be at Southlake Town Square in 10 minutes I'm fine with that!

Not sure what attractive thoroughfare Southlake has that you think is better than Colleyville- I will grant you the Square is great but it's not a thoroughfare. Colleyville is definitely more walkable/bikeable than Southlake.

"Sense of place" not sure what this means- but if it has to do with identity I would say Grapevine wins that category over both Colleyville and Southlake. I don't know if you are from around here but when we were driving to Southlake for football games in the mid 90s it looked very different than it does now. I feel like we have a great location and a great town, and it makes me happy to see others recognizing it. Definitely not trying to start an argument but had to stick up for good ol' Colleyville. and for the record, I like Southlake and am pleased when it does well on rankings and lists!
Agree with all of the above. BCB, I know you're not a fan of Colleyville and for whatever reason don't like or understand why it isn't always "ranked" below Southlake, but the simple answer may be that the items you appear to be weighing heavily about Southlake (traffic flows and retail, predominantly) aren't as important to people who choose Colleyville. In general, I find Colleyville quieter and prettier than Southlake (I will put our little road in Southlake up against any in Colleyville, which is part of why we are where we are, but overall prefer Colleyville scenically). As 4MovingEast notes, Southlake's retail is a short drive away for many Colleyville residents. As for schools, GCISD's overall metrics are lower than Carroll's, but that's mainly because Southlake is uniformly affluent and GCISD is not. The GCISD elementaries that approach Carroll's demographically put up very similar results. Last, Southlake definitely is a bit...shall I say "less laid back" in vibe than Colleyville.

I will say that commuting out of Southlake is probably easier than commuting out of Colleyville, at least if one is within shouting distance of 114. Also, the shopping in Southlake is much better and more easily accessible, even for such mundane things as regular groceries and home repair/maintenance stuff (Costco, Trader Joe's, Home Depot and Lowe's, yay).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with where we bought and glad to be a Dragon and all that, but I likely would've also been perfectly satisfied in Colleyville. They're both great places with a lot to offer.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 6,625 times
West Plano? Trophy Club? Colleyville? YUCK! Only if you want a McMansion, move to these areas. If you want something with class and character look elsewhere. These people are clueless as to where the good real estate in DFW is.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 6,625 times
That list is a joke.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM

38 posts, read 46,702 times
Quick added note to the thread. We live in Colleyville. It usually doesn;t get the topline accolades of a Southlake, but it doesn't have the same type of people in general, or the heavy traffic retail. That's because if you live in Colleyville you can access it without the headaches. The schools are good, Southlake the Colleyville/Grapevine districts are comparable in test scoring but usually Southlake gets the mere hype. Colleyville does not have the progressive city government, but the Colleyville Blvd improvement is getting done despite them, and it will really help the access. In general, Colleyville is much lower key but same class of people and great, great neighborhoods. Hope that helps!!!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 AM

117 posts, read 192,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrayvalentine View Post
West Plano? Trophy Club? Colleyville? YUCK! Only if you want a McMansion, move to these areas. If you want something with class and character look elsewhere. These people are clueless as to where the good real estate in DFW is.
So far this AM i've seen you lay some hatred down on M Streets, West Plano, Trophy Club and Colleyville. May i ask what areas you do like?

Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 6,600 times
There are many other good neighborhoods in DFW but neighborhoods on this list are really good ones. All such lists gets criticized by people whose neighborhoods don't make it so there is nothing new there. Urbanites look down upon new McMansions, suburbanites mention outdated floor plans and crime in the city. Top school districters insist upon value of their schools while lower performing districters insist that schools play no role, it's all in a kid. Homeowners with front garages hate allies and alley garages keep mentioning agony of those few hours every week when trash cans are kept out for collections. It's just ridiculous.

Last edited by FrenchAmerican; 05-31-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,739,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchAmerican View Post
There are many other good neighborhoods in DFW but neighborhoods on this list are really good ones. All such lists gets criticized by people whose neighborhoods don't make it so there is nothing new there. Urbanites look down upon new McMansions, suburbanites mention outdated floor plans and crime in the city. Top school districters insist upon value of their schools while lower performing districters insist that schools play no role, it's all in a kid. Homeowners with front garages hate allies and alley garages keep mentioning agony of those few hours every week when trash cans are kept out for collections. It's just ridiculous.
The list is objectively stupid and terrible.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:09 PM

62 posts, read 142,820 times
West Plano:

Those that know, just know.......those that don't, don't matter........simply a fantastic place to live

Old 05-31-2015, 10:11 PM

54 posts, read 69,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
The list is objectively stupid and terrible.
I gather that Dallas didn't make the cut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: