Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:25 AM

7 posts, read 6,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
Seriously, if you are so concerned, at a ground level, you should be looking at staying away living near highways, high volume traffic on local roads, excessive retail and pollen allergy as well.

Auto pollution and "Other" pollution constitutes majority of the pollution. See slide 12. Oil and Gas is only 5%.

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/presentations/KFWB.pdf

As regards to property values, even in the golden years of high natural gas prices of around $ 12/ 13 per million BTU in 2008/ 2009, the property prices did not fall in DFW compared to other major cities in US. In fact, at the same time during recession, for FM and Coppell, the average fall was lower than Plano and Frisco. Now we have it around $ 2.8 per million BTU. The break even cost is higher for Barnett Vs Marcellus in East coast so producers are more likely to consolidate and increase production in Marcellus if price goes up beyond their break even. Both Coppell and FM have very few wells and on the edge of Barnett shale with relatively much lower productivity compared to thousands in cities like Fort Worth & vicinity in the heart of Barnett. I seriously doubt any fracking has happened in the last few years in Coppel and FM.
I have a 'related' question for you Sir -
Has anyone noticed the multiple Cell Antennas on the Plano West Auditorium? I keep on reading on the news that Cell antennas and Cell Towers near Schools or residential properties are not recommended at all due to Radiation concerns..any Plano West Parent here? No concerns? KIds spent 8 to 10 hrs every day in the High School Campuses..
Any risks for kids attending this school? Any thoughts/suggestions will be very helpful.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 6,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyer2015 View Post
Coppell is as competitive as Plano and school is as big so they are very similar. They are equally diverse specially with Indian students. Just remember to do due research if you are buying near Northlake Cypress Waters.
Yeah both Coppell and PISD are very competitive. I have heard about Fracking in Flower Mound area as well as some areas of Southlake(Another good School district) I wonder why they can't leave the residential areas alone and do these industrial/potentially harmful jobs in and around deserted areas? Personally, I would NPT buy a home near a Power line/ Cell Tower, fracking etc..

Old 09-13-2015, 07:47 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzii View Post
Yeah both Coppell and PISD are very competitive. I have heard about Fracking in Flower Mound area as well as some areas of Southlake(Another good School district) I wonder why they can't leave the residential areas alone and do these industrial/potentially harmful jobs in and around deserted areas? Personally, I would NPT buy a home near a Power line/ Cell Tower, fracking etc..
Because our brilliant governor wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:47 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,271 times
Quote:
There is a reason for each of these to operate. Would you be okay not having your cell phone work in residential areas or pay twice/ thrice the power cost/ KWH? Will you be okay if you own a land in a prime location and unable to sell the mineral rights or profit from its development ? Legally you cannot ban them. There are federal rules in addition to State and Town. All Towns have rules/ set-backs to get these approved and operated. There has to be a balance. Our nation needs a combination of energy options. Folks like you will scream against nuclear power or pollution due to using coal. Wind and Solar are gaining momentum but expensive.Towns like Flower Mound have one the toughest regulations/ set-backs on fracking in the nation. Southlake/ Coppell has excellent regulations as well but not as good as Flower Mound. All the Towns current regulations on oil & gas is being threatened by a bill our Texas state governor recently signed to overrule the municipal regulations with state laws. Will this bill become practically effective? No one knows. There is no fracking since 2010 in Flower Mound which only has a few operating wells compared to thousands in other Towns and that too with substantially large setbacks. In most situations for new development, these power lines/ cell phone tower/wells already existed and the housing development came later.

What is your definition of "near"? If you are really concerned on all these issues, I think you should definitely stay away and determine a comfortable distance that will not get you stressed. To help you make the decision, you can look into the rules/ setbacks of the Town and the short term/ long term exposure limits of some of the harmful constituents. Another important thing is whether they listen to their residents and concerned with environment/ controlling pollution. Every Town is different. Add a reasonable "distance" over and above these setbacks if that will make you comfortable.

On your other question of Cell antennas and Cell Towers near Schools in Plano, I have no idea and there is no reason for me to spend time worrying about even if I was living in Plano. May be a Plano West parent can give their 2 cents. I think Plano school district and Plano Town officials are competent enough and would have thought over before approving. I will be more concerned on pollution on internal roads/ retail due to traffic than these towers. I know someone who said he got cancer due to the cell phone radiation in his pocket. Its really hard to scientifically prove the root cause. What about microwave and X-rays or using a gas lawn mover? The list is endless....

Old 09-13-2015, 11:11 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Southlake passed an ordinance in 2011 or so, IIRC, that was very restrictive regarding fracking (large setbacks [distance from fracking site and residences], etc.), and so there has been (AFAIK) zero fracking in Southlake (although I believe there is one site right on the border that is in Colleyville).

The legislation passed by the state government earlier this year (limiting "anti-fracking" ordinances passed by individual municipalities) may eventually result in Southlake's ordinances being effectively rescinded if A) anyone wants to frack in Southlake in violation of the city ordinances, and 2) said party mounts a legal challenge, but at this point, again, there is zero fracking in Southlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas