Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:45 PM

111 posts, read 137,109 times

Advertisements

Am I being irrational to let a fear of tornadoes keep me from moving to Dallas, or keeping me from being excited about moving to Dallas?

I grew up where there aren't any tornadoes, and I am not used to tornado watches, tornado warnings (though I've been living in Virginia and Austin for the past 4 years, and it was a totally new and not fun experience for me).

The floods, hail are fine -- I feel like I can avoid them enough or (in the case of hail) just have property damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo35 View Post
Am I being irrational to let a fear of tornadoes keep me from moving to Dallas, or keeping me from being excited about moving to Dallas?

I grew up where there aren't any tornadoes, and I am not used to tornado watches, tornado warnings (though I've been living in Virginia and Austin for the past 4 years, and it was a totally new and not fun experience for me).

The floods, hail are fine -- I feel like I can avoid them enough or (in the case of hail) just have property damage.
From my experience it hasn't been a big deal. I've been affected by damaging hail storms twice in the past 5 years. Never once have I seen or been hit by a tornado since moving here in 1991. I don't know if that's the norm or luck. Keep in mind that DFW is in the Tornado Alley but it's in the outer southern fringes. The further east and south you live in DFW the least likely you will be affected. Even then tornadoes are seasonal and not a threat year round. Floods are also nothing to worry about all the time. This years rain is not the norm. Be more worried about droughts than floods.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:19 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo35 View Post

Yes, you're being irrational. Almost 40 years in Dallas and I have NEVER seen a tornado. Tornados are far less damaging than hurricanes, major earthquakes, or hailstorms. They usually aren't on the ground for long and don't do widespread damage. In one of the more recent DFW area tornados that went through a fairly populated suburb, the extent of the damage was about 20 houses on 2 blocks. One side of the block was perfectly in tact and across the street, houses were gone or severely damaged.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:27 PM

111 posts, read 137,109 times
OK, thanks. Still, though, of the houses that were gone or severely damaged, did people survive by following what you are told to do -- interior room, be in bathtub with mattress over it?

I think it makes me anxious because I feel like it is so totally out of my control, my kids will be at school, my husband works in a high rise, etc.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:00 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Unless there is a HUGE tornado, the interior room strategy works well. Still, the odds of being hit are miniscule.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
If it really bothers you that much, you could put a garage in-ground shelter in your home. Still, the risk is pretty low

Old 05-30-2015, 07:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
There are something like 8 million + people in the DFW area. I think we've lost maybe 10 or less individuals in the area due to tornados in the last 20+ years. It's more rational to be scared of driving than being killed by a tornado in DFW.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Severe thunderstorms are common in DFW and mostly produce torrential rains and gusty winds. Occasionally they are accompanied by hail, straight-line winds, and flash flooding. Tornadoes, particularly strong and violent ones, are rare. An EF-2 tornado extensively damaged parts of my neighborhood along with other areas in Lancaster on April 3, 2012. We had adequate warning, so there were only a few minor injuries, and no deaths that day despite having several tornadoes pass through highly-populated areas. The "seek shelter in an interior room" advice is great advice. In the most heavily damaged areas, I remember seeing homes where nothing was left standing except for the interior rooms. Outside of basements/underground shelters (not common in Texas) and above-ground "safe rooms," its next best option.

While I have witnessed the destruction a tornado can cause, I would still tell you not to let fear deter you from moving here as the likelihood of encountering a tornado is very low.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:48 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, you're being irrational. Almost 40 years in Dallas and I have NEVER seen a tornado. Tornados are far less damaging than hurricanes, major earthquakes, or hailstorms. They usually aren't on the ground for long and don't do widespread damage. In one of the more recent DFW area tornados that went through a fairly populated suburb, the extent of the damage was about 20 houses on 2 blocks. One side of the block was perfectly in tact and across the street, houses were gone or severely damaged.
You must have moved in just after the one that crossed North Dallas in May 1976. That one was hard to miss as it was on the ground for a long time and ran from near the Tollway before lifting off near Central Expressway and finally dissapating near Jupiter Road and 635.. I don't recall any fatalities, but lots of damage.

I wouldn't be afraid of being back in Dallas despite being really scared by that one. I was in a park n ride lot near Forest Lane waiting for someone and we watched it come across N. Dallas. We were thinking about leaving, but the traffic was stopped everywhere and we didn't think we could get anywhere. We last saw it at Central Expressway about a mile down the road. Then it got really dark and loud with hail and rain. At that point the freeway magically emptied, but it was too late to go anywhere. We later figured out from radio reports it lifted off the ground there and pretty much jumped right over us as the next report was it was seen at Jupiter and 635.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 AM

506 posts, read 2,149,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas