Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:41 PM

42 posts, read 49,901 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to the plano/frisco suburbs for lifestyle and weather change from New England.

1) Anyone with similar experience and loving it or hating it with a passion?

2) Do you plan to retire in Dallas or move again? Where are you from, and where would you move to?

3) If you are a retired or semi-retired person, how is life in DFW?

4) Is the savings much higher here compared to the place you previously lived in?

Last edited by triscan; 06-02-2015 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 04:03 PM

419 posts, read 553,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscan View Post
we are thinking of moving to the plano/frisco suburbs for lifestyle and weather change from new england.

1) anyone with similar experience and loving it or hating it with a passion? we moved for a job and financials. I wouldn't say i love it yet but i have grown to appreciate the positives and not dwell so much on the negatives. But, i am the type of person that jumps in and gets involved in activities and makes a point to meet people and build relationships.

2) do you plan to retire in dallas or move again? Where are you from, and where would you move to? heck no. I am from new england and i don't see myself retiring here. Maybe 5 more years. It really depends on how the public schools turn out and what sort of job opportunities arise elsewhere. My spouse recently turned down a dream job in northern ca to stay here. The quality of life and work-life balance is better here for where we are in life right now. Long term plan is to transfer into positions back east or at least on one of the coasts.

3) if you are a retired or semi-retired person, how is life in dfw?
n/a

Old 06-02-2015, 04:21 PM

42 posts, read 49,901 times
thanks keribeth818 for the quick reply. how do you find the public schools in dfw compared to ne?

Old 06-02-2015, 04:38 PM

419 posts, read 553,360 times
My kids are young. The oldest is entering (private) kindergarten in the fall. We went to all the info sessions at the public school and were actually pretty impressed with the curriculum but I just can't give any feedback until we experience it, most likely in first grade. Overall I have heard it is not as rigorous but it really depends on which school systems we are comparing. I went to some great schools in Mass and a horrible one in NH. There are some awesome public school districts around DFW and there are some duds. I think the difference is you can get into the exemplary school districts, such as Plano for much less housing costs than a comparable town in NE.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:58 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
1. moved here about 4 years ago from St Louis via Tampa. I love the weather compared to St Louis and dislike it compared to Tampa. Being landlocked really wears on my soul. Otherwise, it's a city pretty much like any other.
2. Dallas isn't so much a retirement city as it is a working city. Once I no longer have to work, I'll relocate elsewhere.
3. n/a for me though my parents hate the traffic and frenetic pace of people here.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 PM

436 posts, read 579,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscan View Post
We are thinking of moving to the plano/frisco suburbs for lifestyle and weather change from New England.

1) Anyone with similar experience and loving it or hating it with a passion?

2) Do you plan to retire in Dallas or move again? Where are you from, and where would you move to?

3) If you are a retired or semi-retired person, how is life in DFW?

4) Is the savings much higher here compared to the place you previously lived in?

I love Dallas, I transferred here 12+ years ago from out of state. The cost of living here is more than it was where I lived previously but my compensation was increased for the move and has stayed pace with the cost of living. In 5 years I will probably be here. In 8 to 10 years I will move back to either my home state, I have a lot of family and friends still there, or another state where my most important family, my children are.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:04 AM

817 posts, read 922,386 times
Transplant from Southern California, I was given a choice of "move or be laid off" in December 2014.
1. Took the transfer and regret it. Part of it is my particular company may only keep me for two years and I had planned to work until I was 70, which would be 2027. My wife is looking for work but is choosing unemployment to underemployment, and I understand that, but it costs us. People are very nice here but the environs are unspectacular and the weather isn't very nice ( and we lived in Chicago until our early 30s).
2. I would like to return to SoCal for retirement. My wife would be happy to live in the West Valley of Phoenix. DFW is not in our retirement plans, however, our son and his girlfriend moved here when we did, so we would be here to visit.
3. N/A
4. Savings is not much higher in DFW. We do notice a lower price in gasoline (also notice that in AZ and NV), but not in groceries and other consumer goods. Auto insurance slightly better. It costs more to fly to see our family in AZ and CA instead of drive.

Also we don't see a lot of savings because we bought our house in CA in 1993, so when we bought here, we actually were buying a more expensive house then our previous house. Coming from CA, our property taxes are higher, which levels out the state income tax differential, but coming from NE, you may not have a big difference in property taxes. We had hoped to see our previous house paid for in a few years. Now we have to work to pay this one off before we hit retirement age.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:31 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Moved from Tennessee. Love it here. Been great for my career. Met my wife here. Moved 4.5 years ago.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 AM

44 posts, read 42,440 times
Considering I just refi'd to a 5/5 ARM I will be gone in 5

Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
We moved here from the Southeast. LOVE the relative lack of humidity, esp. in the summer. We love life in Dallas, and don't have any plans to leave - there's always something new to check out. We've even talked about retiring to Rockwall (we're "lake people") if we're still here at that point in our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas