Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovCruisin View Post
We are wanting to do a kitchen underneath, so we wanted the roofing to be solid. Although pergola's are much better looking IMO, the rain (which we have had a ton of lately!) would fall right through onto the kitchen appliances which, at least we believe, would lead to rusting, etc., just faster deterioration in general.
You're still going to want some covers for the equipment. We have a covered patio with my grill and smoker underneath. Very rarely do Texas storms have little to no wind, and my equipment gets soaked in almost every rain storm. Just a heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 10:14 AM

60 posts, read 71,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
You're still going to want some covers for the equipment. We have a covered patio with my grill and smoker underneath. Very rarely do Texas storms have little to no wind, and my equipment gets soaked in almost every rain storm. Just a heads up.
Thank you for the heads up!

Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 AM
ds1

12 posts, read 19,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovCruisin View Post
Here is the provision:

6.21. SINGLE FAMILY LOT USE RESTRICTIONS. 6.21 .1. Accessory Structures. Without the prior written approval of the Architectural Reviewer, accessory structures- such as dog houses, dog runs, decks, patios, gazebos, storage sheds, playhouses, play equipment, pools, spas, tubs, basketball backboards and other sports apparatus and greenhouses -are prohibited (not allowed). To be approved by the Architectural Reviewer, an accessory storage shed must have the following features:

a. Only one per Lot.
b. Designed for outdoor use.
c. Less than 6 feet in height at the ridge line of the roof.
d. Less than 100 square feet of floor space (e.g. 10' x 10').
e. Visually harmonious with the house or fence to which it is most visually related or physically attached, including matching major materials such as siding and roofing, dominant colors, construction details, and pitch of roof.
f. Screened by a fence or acceptable landscape material so it is not visible to a person standing on the surface of an adjoining Lot or street.
g. Not located in front yards or in unfenced portions of side yards facing streets.
You're reading it wrong:
It specifically states "To be approved by the Architectural Reviewer, an accessory storage shed must have the following features"

Everything else has to be approved, but the feature list is only for storage sheds

Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
What do the CCRs say about attachments to the home?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:25 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds1 View Post
You're reading it wrong:
It specifically states "To be approved by the Architectural Reviewer, an accessory storage shed must have the following features"

Everything else has to be approved, but the feature list is only for storage sheds
I think it's just bad drafting. The Restriction explicitly lists what is not allowed without prior approval, and it seems the HOA is interpreting the list as applying to gazebos. If you take out the list, then is there some other section of the CCRs that applies to outdoor structures? It may be even less favorable.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 AM

Yes, we are going to approach it like this - try to submit what we want for approval, if it's approved great! If not, then we will modify based on their reasons for disapproval (i.e. too tall, attaching to home, etc.)

Maybe height won't matter so long as it is reviewed and approved first by the HOA

Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
So you haven't actually been denied yet? I've been very involved in my HOA over the years and I agree with ds1. The requirements are for a shed. And those are not uncommon shed restrictions. But the important line is that those other items must be approved first.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
So you haven't actually been denied yet? I've been very involved in my HOA over the years and I agree with ds1. The requirements are for a shed. And those are not uncommon shed restrictions. But the important line is that those other items must be approved first.
No I haven't. I am planning ahead...I didn't want to have the pool builder design something knowing that it would likely be in violation of the HOA, that would be a waste of everyone's time.

Thanks for the input on the shed vs shade structure

Old 06-03-2015, 12:52 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
Have you had a look around the neighborhood for similar structures? It's easier to get it past the HOA if another homeowner has a similar structure. Worked for us!

Our experience is that HOAs just want some way to mandate architectural review and monitor what's being installed to ensure harmony with the look and feel of the neighborhood.

Of course, evey board is different - good luck!

Old 06-03-2015, 01:05 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
DS1 and Murphy are correct. The height restriction is only for storage sheds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas