Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 10:28 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,209 times

Advertisements

Compare and contrast? How do these 3 major large furniture stores compare? In terms of choices, style, quality, price, etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 03:33 PM

477 posts, read 1,051,343 times
Nebraska Furniture Mart--A traditional furniture store albeit enormous. Sells the same quality furniture as a Rooms To Go, Ashley etc for the most part IMO. There is a small area with more high end stuff, but the majority is low to mid range furniture.
Also sells electronics, flooring, appliances, housewares and decor.

Ikea- cheap laminate furniture in mostly modern styles. Stuff people would use to furnish first apts and kids rooms IMO. Also good for those who redecorate often.
Also sells lighting, textiles, housewares etc. Prices are very affordable, but quality is usually lacking, although not always.

The Dump--been here three times and will probably never go back. I find the whole concept of this place to be misleading. Prices are not good and I always see the same furniture in the place (over a 3 yr span) so I don't believe it's factory closeouts or rock bottom pricing etc. It's marketed like that for the gullible people who believe their advertising.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:59 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times
Nebraska Furniture Mart is definitely a step up from Ashley, and has some stuff that's nicer than Rooms to Go.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:40 PM

477 posts, read 1,051,343 times
It does have some higher end stuff, but when I was there I had to wade through a multitude of furniture that was nothing more than cheap laminate and particle board. Much of it is on par with Rooms To Go and Ashley. Nothing wrong with that. It's priced good for what it is.

I prefer Haverty's or La-Z-Boy for mid range stuff. I also shop Hurwitz Mintz, a high end store local to New Orleans. I've had my eye on a piece from Drexel and will probably order it online as Nebraska Furniture Mart only carries 3 pieces by Drexel.
Also like Kittinger furniture. Not sold by NFM.

Last edited by globe9; 06-07-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
I once shopped at the original Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha when the founder, Mrs Blumkin, was still actively running the store. This was in 1979, and "Mrs B" careened through the store in a really fast electric cart.

I was haggling with a salesman over a carpet remnant when Mrs B roared up in her cart and demanded of the salesman, "What does he want to buy?"

The salesman pointed out the carpet.

"What does he want to pay?"

The salesman told her my last offer.

"Then sell it to him!" Then she screamed off in her cart.

The salesman mutter, "Crazy woman, she's a crazy woman," and started filling out the receipt.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:49 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I once shopped at the original Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha when the founder, Mrs Blumkin, was still actively running the store. This was in 1979, and "Mrs B" careened through the store in a really fast electric cart.

I was haggling with a salesman over a carpet remnant when Mrs B roared up in her cart and demanded of the salesman, "What does he want to buy?"

The salesman pointed out the carpet.

"What does he want to pay?"

The salesman told her my last offer.

"Then sell it to him!" Then she screamed off in her cart.

The salesman mutter, "Crazy woman, she's a crazy woman," and started filling out the receipt.
LOL! I bought my first home's furniture in Omaha in 1972. Back then they negotiated quite a bit! In 1977 having moved away from Omaha and back again to furnish another house, I fell in love with a master bedroom suite in their store window (in Omaha) and used to visit it all the time and stand and stare at it. Finally, one day a salesman opened the door and yelled out "When are you coming in to buy it?" and I said I didnt have enough money and was waiting for my tax refund. He took my name and phone number and called me a few months later when the suite of furniture was on sale and they held it for us until our tax refund and the sale price. I have fondness for that store and maybe they still negotiate.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: