Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:33 PM

30 posts, read 204,141 times

Advertisements

Consider another choice rather than Arlington. What is the motivation for being there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 07:50 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
There are a number of areas of Arlington that are perfectly fine for living and/or raising children. (Most of the ones I know of are south of I-20.)

Old 12-29-2006, 03:34 PM

13 posts, read 59,338 times
Wow. Those are great pictures Synopsis! My wife and I are looking to leave Orlando, Florida for somewhere that has affordable housing, low crime, and low taxes. We are considering Atlanta and perhaps Austin. A friend suggested that we check out Arlington but I don't know much about the area. Your pictures give me some idea of the landscape. I thought it was flat and dessert like. We are looking for a place that has a sense of community where we could raise our daughter. Any suggestions?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneangel View Post
Wow. Those are great pictures Synopsis! My wife and I are looking to leave Orlando, Florida for somewhere that has affordable housing, low crime, and low taxes. We are considering Atlanta and perhaps Austin. A friend suggested that we check out Arlington but I don't know much about the area. Your pictures give me some idea of the landscape. I thought it was flat and dessert like. We are looking for a place that has a sense of community where we could raise our daughter. Any suggestions?
LOL!!!
Yep, all of the Dallas area and Texas is "flat" and "desert like". I always get a kick out of that. No, the Dallas area is not flat nor desert at all. We have lakes and yes they are man made but so what, we have them. And REALLY glad to have them too . There are lots of areas around the metroplex of native "forests". No it is not the Redwoods but we do have them. Dallas is home to one of the largest native hardwood forests in an urban area. We also have a native area of palms just south of downtown Dallas. Walking trails in parks and greenbelts are abundant in the metroplex. Don't just concentrate on Arlington, take a good long look around ALL of the great D/FW metroplex. The area is so vast and each area so different that while one area may not interest you and be a total turnoff another may be your cup of tea.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:50 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Right now, I live in 76016 and will be going to Martin High School. My parents wanted to move into a apartment that would have me zoned to Arlington High School. They also found one for Bowie High School. I went to DallasMetropolis, and they told me to stay west of Cooper. Following their advice, we found a four bedroom home in a fairly new community that is zoned to Martin High School. The area looks a lot nicer and we just about have everything unpacked. My advice, stay in the Martin High School zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Dallas is home to one of the largest native hardwood forests in an urban area. We also have a native area of palms just south of downtown Dallas. Walking trails in parks and greenbelts are abundant in the metroplex. Don't just concentrate on Arlington, take a good long look around ALL of the great D/FW metroplex. The area is so vast and each area so different that while one area may not interest you and be a total turnoff another may be your cup of tea.
I think Dallas proper is just behind Houston in forests. Houston's metro is the most green in all of Texas. In the winter, Dallas looks very brown. I always thought those palms were fake, unlike the ones in Galveston, Texas.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:36 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneangel View Post
Hi oneangel. That's one of the reasons I post pictures of the area, to dispell the myths that the area is completely flat and dry. As momof2dfw said, there is an abundance of trees and various landscapes across the DFW metroplex. The area in which I live (Hurst) is mostly older homes and tree lined streets. Some streets have so many trees hardly any light reaches the homes in those neighborhoods. If you're looking for a place that has a sense of community, I can heartily recommend the areas of Hurst (especially the northern half), North Richland Hills, Keller, Grapevine, Watauga, and others. I live in zipcode 76054. The schools here are good, the grade school my daughter just graduated from (Shady Oaks) is exemplary, the highest rating. The teachers and staff there are great. My daughter is now attending Bedford Junior High and she likes it very much there as well (I haven't checked their rating). All in all, there are alot of communities around here that are nice. We like our area because it's not in the middle of everything like Arlington. Arlington has some fine areas but it's much too crowded for us. Just drive through there on any given day and you'll see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas