Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 AM

9 posts, read 30,520 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I stumbled across this web site and have found a wealth of information already regarding various cities across the country. Now it appears I am going to need to actually post a request for help. I am currently located in Michigan and looking at a job transfer that would take me and my family to the Dallas area. I work in Sales, so I will be spending a lot of time in the car visiting key accounts throughout the Dallas / Fort Worth area (so a specific location isn't required). I live now in a small town in W. Michigan, with a 1/2 acre lot in a very nice neighborhood "in the country". Our pace of life is slow (West Michigan compared to East Michigan..i.e. Detroit area) and I am hopeful that this is something I can keep in Texas. I am seeking a good community with excellent schools, nice neighborhoods with mature trees, and easy acess to shopping/restaurants/major highway. Any insight/tips you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 AM

22 posts, read 63,381 times
Default Try Rockwall

My wife and I just leased a place out in Rockwall. It's a really nice, upscale and up and coming community. However, it's 22 miles from Downtown Dallas and about an hour from Fort Worth. We went there because my job will be in Mesquite and we didn't want to live there.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 AM

563 posts, read 3,735,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3 View Post
Hello Everyone. I stumbled across this web site and have found a wealth of information already regarding various cities across the country. Now it appears I am going to need to actually post a request for help. I am currently located in Michigan and looking at a job transfer that would take me and my family to the Dallas area. I work in Sales, so I will be spending a lot of time in the car visiting key accounts throughout the Dallas / Fort Worth area (so a specific location isn't required). I live now in a small town in W. Michigan, with a 1/2 acre lot in a very nice neighborhood "in the country". Our pace of life is slow (West Michigan compared to East Michigan..i.e. Detroit area) and I am hopeful that this is something I can keep in Texas. I am seeking a good community with excellent schools, nice neighborhoods with mature trees, and easy acess to shopping/restaurants/major highway. Any insight/tips you can provide is greatly appreciated.
What kind of price range would you be looking at? You can find pretty much anything if you can pay for it

Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I will take a look at Rockwall. Our price range is up to $350,000.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,208,810 times
I vote for Rockwall too... although I am partial because I live around here and we love it. You can get a lot for 350K too.

There are other options to if Rockwall is too far east, Grand Prairie, Mansfield.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,640,940 times
My husband just took a job where he is traveling quite a bit around DFW. He was telling me with all the traveling he is doing and knowing his next assignment with his company could be somewhere different, he wishes we lived more central.. which I agree with.

Rockwall is beautiful but it is my opinion it is too far east if your job leads you to traveling to Ft. Worth on a regular basis.

I would try Colleyville, Lewisville, Grapevine, Flowermound.. for more country feel, Argyle. The northwestern suburbs seem to me what your are desiring.
Best wishes

Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. I think Rockwall is nice, but appears to be a little too East for me. I will be traveling to both Dallas and Fort Worth, so I would like to find something a bit North of Dallas / Fort Worth that is somewhat centrally located. I am interested in the Northern Suburbs, just need to find one that has more of a country feel and slower pace. I will take a look at Argyle. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,208,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3 View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. I think Rockwall is nice, but appears to be a little too East for me. I will be traveling to both Dallas and Fort Worth, so I would like to find something a bit North of Dallas / Fort Worth that is somewhat centrally located. I am interested in the Northern Suburbs, just need to find one that has more of a country feel and slower pace. I will take a look at Argyle. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
Check the following cities up north: Bartonville, Double Oak, Flower Mound, Grapevine, (Colleyville/Southlake would be a bad fixer upper in the 350K). It would depend on what you consider a country town too, Carrollton is centrally located and can be a good medium, I'd suggest checking it out.

Naima

Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM

709 posts, read 3,464,645 times
Double Oak is really nice (from what I've seen) and I hear the schools are decent. Not sure what district it is related to...it may be it's own district. I use to work with someone that now teaches for a school in Double Oak. She loves it...however, she says they are a little behind in times on some things. She loves living there and has for a long time. She is concerned though that it is changing daily and becoming more populated.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 AM

I appreciate the feedback. I will be checking out the areas suggested.

I also really like the locations for both Grapevine and Carrollton (closer to DFW airport), but I'm guessing the opportunites to find 1/2 acre lots (or larger) are pretty much non-existent. Looking to find a nice house with a larger lot and a little bit of space. If anyone has ideas if this is achievable in these areas please advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas