U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 AM

104 posts, read 407,536 times

Advertisements

Have been doing preliminary research on all these areas - all have good points and not so good points. Need to step back and get some "local" perspective on my research. Given the above locations, which area would you pick and why? DH is working in Plano off of West Plano Parkway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,918,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Spouse View Post
Have been doing preliminary research on all these areas - all have good points and not so good points. Need to step back and get some "local" perspective on my research. Given the above locations, which area would you pick and why? DH is working in Plano off of West Plano Parkway.
Just so responses don't have to be duplicated, here are the other threads the OP has already received responses to:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...len-friso.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...questions.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ill-baths.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ty-alarms.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...me-center.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...onditions.html

Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,376,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Spouse View Post
Murphy is my favorite. Keep in mind there are two school districts, Plano and Wylie, depending on where in Murphy you live. We live in Sachse with Murphy in our backyard and love it. It's quiet but still really close to everything. For schools some demand Plano schools, but our daughter goes to Wylie schools and we're happy with the quality of education.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:25 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,710,181 times
I live in Northeast Garland in an area that is a stones throw from Sachse & Murphy.

Sachse - Does not have its own school district. The portion in Collin County attens Wylie schools. The portion in Dallas County attends Garland schools. Sacshe High School (part of the GISD) is a few years old and has a strong parental involvement, booster clubs, etc. They have a robotics team. In the GISD portion you can go to other schools w/in the district as it is "open choice" dependent upon space. There are two elementary and 1 middle school w/ the GISD located w/in Sachse. VERY close to Garland and the new shopping, restaurants, etc in the area (Firewheel Town Center). Still a small town feel. Traffic can be a pain sometimes to get in and out of during rush hour. Just depends on which side of the road you live on (Hwy 78 aka Lavon Drive). There are a few areas of Sachse that still have the older ranch homes on an acre or two. Easy acces to Hwy 190.

Murphy - as someone else mentioned they don't have their own school district. It is split between Wylie and Plano. Wylie High Schools seems to be VERY GOOD! I'd go w/ WHS before the Plano ISD. Smaller school (no graduating class of 1000). Wylie HS has a restaurant w/in the school that is open to the community (supposed to be VERY GOOD!) for their students to work in. It has been featured on one of the news stations before. Murphy is growing w/ new shopping centers popping up. Still has a small town feel. Have tons of friends that live there and love it. Very diverse population. Still has easy access to all of the shopping in Garland in and around Firewheel. Easy access to Hwy 190.

Frisco - larger than the two above. More than one high school. Has their own school district. Has had issues w/ parents getting upset when the new schools open up to ease school overcrowding and the boundries change. TONS of homes for sale, developments still going on EVERYWHERE up there and some have been hit pretty hard w/ investors and foreclosures. Home values have taken a hit. When we bought our home 5 years ago homes similiar in Frisco were a good $30K more. Now they are a good $40-50K LESS. Pretty crowded especially around the mall. You could live less than 2 miles away from the mall and it would still take you a good 15 minutes to get there. Whereas you could live in Murphy and be at Firewheel Town Center in less than 15 minutes - even in rush hour. The other day one news station showed that it took 10 minutes to go down 1 mile of a certain strip of roadway in Frisco . Not my ideal place to live but I don't care for lots of congestion just to run to the store for a gallon of milk. It is home to some great sports venues: Pizza Hut Park w/ FC Dallas and host of concerts, Frisco RoughRiders, Texas Tornado Hockey, Dallas Stars practice facility.

Allen - Smaller than Frisco but larger than Murphy and Sachse. Has their own school district. I'm sure you have read on here where Allen has no plans to add another high school. It is a VERY LARGE high school. Their marching band is HUGE!!!!! For us natives it is the Plano wannabe (at least how Plano was back in the 80's and 90's in order to dominate in all areas like sports and such). Just like Frisco, Allen has had issues w/ parents getting upset over the boundries getting changed when new schools open up. One going on recently had parents upset their kids school was outside of the brick fence surrounding their neighborhood. TONS of developments going in. Has an outlet mall and building a new shopping center. Central Expwy cuts thru it. If you had to commute downtown it would be a pain.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM

momof2dfw and twojciac - THANK YOU both for your responses - appreciate it very much.

We like all the areas - when we Mapquest it out, there was very little difference in our minds - actual traffic will be the real measuring stick.

Lots seem to be bigger outside of Frisco and Allen and that was a plus to us -higher taxes were not.

School information is not important to us because we are "empty nesters" - however, WILL be important in the future for resale.

Is one area over the other subjected to tornados or floods (higher insurance costs)? Or, are they all about the same?

I know Allen has medical facilities close - how about Murphy and Sachse?

Many thanks for all your help - I appreciate it.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:13 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,710,181 times
As for the weather concerning tornados and floods: Avoid low lying areas in ANY of these areas for flooding. Tornado's...... luck of the draw there. Last one to actually touch down and do some damage was in Sachse/Wylie on Mothers Day back in the early 90's. Went straight up Hwy 78.

Medical Facilities: For Murphy and Sachse you are very close to several different medical buildings that have doctors offices. Along Hwy 190 between Shiloh and Renner there are several w/ one very large new doctors building on Renner @ 190. There are several Baylor doctors at 190 & N. Garland Ave. Several other smaller individual doctors offices in Murphy & Sachse.

As for hospitals there are two in Plano right off of 190 that you can be at pretty darn quick: Baylor and the Medical Center at Plano. Or into Dallas to Medical City Dallas in no time (we have doctors there and from NE Garland in non rush hour after 8:00 we can be there in 20 minutes), Presby Dallas or Baylor Garland. Oh, and Presby Plano is not too far. Heard about a year or so ago that Presby was going to build a hospital in Garland/Richardson on Hwy 190.

Allen has Presby Allen and Frisco has a small hospital too. I would not go to either of these for a MAJOR surgery. You will want to stick to a MUCH larger hospital. Even if you go into their emergency rooms and it ends up being something serious they do transfer as does Plano Presby.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:23 PM

Thank you again momof2dfw, you have been very kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas