Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:33 PM

559 posts, read 935,734 times

Advertisements

My U-Verse contract is about to expire and asking almost double of $125/month I pay for Cable (3 - HDTV) and 15/5 Mbps Internet.

I am looking to split my cable and internet and trying to see if I can achieve the same price thru split service.

Dish and Directv comes to my mind for cable, but not sure how much others pay for their service? I am not looking for premium package, but something that covers (CNN / CNBC / Local Channels {such as NBC , ABC , CBS, FOX} / ESPN / ESPN2 / SEC Network) standard channels in HD. How much should this service really cost thru these satellite operators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 12:43 PM

126 posts, read 339,590 times
I had dish for several years and I pay close to 150 a month. $99 for all the channels you mentioned, 7$ per joey and I have 4 connectins at home, 10$ for HD fees and so on. I have internet through Grande and pay @50 bucks for 200/20 Mbps.
If you watch the Rangers and Mavs, a lot of their games are aired on FSSW (Fox southwest) and that is 5 bucks. Redzone is 9.99 and so on. You know why the athletes get paid a lot...tv deal :-)

Old 08-13-2015, 12:21 AM

127 posts, read 165,084 times
Switched to Verizon as they have Fios and give good deals if you bundle phone and TV. We like their service but they are a bit expensive.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:26 AM

58 posts, read 100,128 times
I was with Dish for a long time. I think I paid around $80/month. I gave up sat all together about 4 years ago in favor of internet only. Best decision I ever made. Honestly though, with what you're looking for, cable is probably going to be cheaper. Not sure if Time Warner has service in your area, but they are begging for customers to the point of embarrassment.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
We've had Dish a few times over the years, and DirecTV. Dish is slightly cheaper, by about $15-20 per month, for a similar package with the same number of receivers. Currently we have DirecTV. Basically, we switch every two years when the contract runs out, because the first year you're given lots of discounts, rebates, etc, from both companies.

I think we'll consider doing internet TV the next time around, paying over $100 a month when all I mainly watch are local channels is something I've hated. The only reason we have satellite is because of my wife.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:23 AM

185 posts, read 169,120 times
Now that AT&T (who owns U-verse) owns DIRECTV you might want to contact them about a bundle of their high-speed internet and satellite TV. They've got specials on it right now due to the new merger. If you don't like the price just keep asking for a better deal, tell them you're going to go to Dish if you don't get a good deal. That kind of stuff works and they really don't want to lose customers right now.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:09 AM

Thanks all for bringing this thread back to life almost after two months

I finally terminated my service thru AT&T U-Verse in last week as their cost was not justifiable.

I switched to TWC 50/5 Internet for $35/month and very happy with their service so far..... Let's see how long this remains good as I know TWC tops as worst cable provider when it comes to customer service

With regards to cutting the cord and going to Internet...... I think for those who watch a lot of live content such as sports and local news, you still need cable/satellite TV service. I could not find any Internet streaming service which provides a complete package which I needed.

I agree with other posters that Dish is slightly cheaper than DirecTV. So I decided to switch to Dish and installation is going to happen in next week. Dish is offering 2 Year Price Lock with no hidden fees and also found a retailer who offered me $150 gift card for starting a new service (could go upto $200 for those who choose their top line packages).

Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
We've had Dish a few times over the years, and DirecTV. Dish is slightly cheaper, by about $15-20 per month, for a similar package with the same number of receivers. Currently we have DirecTV. Basically, we switch every two years when the contract runs out, because the first year you're given lots of discounts, rebates, etc, from both companies.

I think we'll consider doing internet TV the next time around, paying over $100 a month when all I mainly watch are local channels is something I've hated. The only reason we have satellite is because of my wife.
FYI, if you are out of DireCTV contract take a look at Dish's 2 Year Price LOCK promotion to see if it saves you some money.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltseaver View Post
I was with Dish for a long time. I think I paid around $80/month. I gave up sat all together about 4 years ago in favor of internet only. Best decision I ever made. Honestly though, with what you're looking for, cable is probably going to be cheaper. Not sure if Time Warner has service in your area, but they are begging for customers to the point of embarrassment.
I compared TWC's bundle and it was coming out more expensive compare to TWC Internet + Dish Satellite.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
If you have a Playstation, PS Vue service is now available in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas