Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:13 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
As others have said, everything is pretty easy to control except for Mosquitos. Our exterminator sprays our yard for ants/ticks/fleas/etc each spring and we have never ever had an ant problem. With Mosquitos, EDS gave you a good list of ideas.
Hey T - the spray for fleas - is it dangerous to dogs or humans? Our dog suddenly picked up a bunch of fleas. We frontlined her and that knocked out 90%, but I think she recontracts them when she's out chasing the squirrels. Do you know what your people use and how safe it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 12:20 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
What!?

Where do you people live?

I am barefoot year-round.

Never been bit, stung, etc.

Mosquitoes are really more of a dusk thing, and they aren't that bad. Remember, they like pregnant people and overweight people - or anyone else pouring off CO2.

I think I have seen 3 snakes at/near my house in 26 years. We live on a golf course/creek, so we do have turtles, ducks, bobcat, rabbits, raccoon, possum, and once my dog was sprayed by a skunk. But that's cool!

I'm always outside. You just have to acclimate and drink plenty of water. I exercised 4 hours yesterday -all outside.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I am glad the OP ended up in the Dallas area and not the Houston area.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:52 PM

68 posts, read 91,542 times
I have a ton of baby pics in the grass, in wildflowers, ect.
The West coast is still there you know!

Last edited by TexanAgain15; 06-19-2015 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
Outside is an educational experience. How does a kid grow up without a bee sting? Running from a rattle? Sun burning a fire ant? A few stickers in the feet?

How does one tempt the fates while watching soap operas?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I wish y'all wouldn't jump all over the OP like that; I completely feel her pain.

Mosquitoes and chiggers LOVE me. LOVE ME. No matter when I go outside, whether I fog or not, or how much DEET I slather onto myself, I will have multiple bites within 60 seconds. I've also been swarmed by fire ants and it's pretty damn unpleasant.

I've also had more than one spider bite in my life. *shudder*

I'm not afraid of snakes; I don't see them too often in my yard and when I do, they're not poisonous. So, no issues there.

I can't walk through grass barefoot either. Even if my yard is free of ant piles and dog poop, with my luck I'd step on a wasp (it's happened to me several times already). I'm allergic to wasp stings.

So, OP, I feel your pain. I don't spend much time outdoors in summer either. Our summer climate is pretty awful. And there's something about my blood that drives mosquitoes nuts.

P.S. I was born and raised here.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:03 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Play golf year around. It's not that complicated. A swim in summer evenings is nice too.

I like variety in weather. Does California have enough water for golf course upkeep with out charging two arms and a leg to play?

Old 06-19-2015, 02:25 PM

32 posts, read 71,483 times
Thank you for the understanding! Yes mosquitos go crazy for me. I can't walk to the mailbox without getting bit. I think some areas around Dallas are worse than others. We rent and our property is kind of poorly kept and we don't want to pay an exterminator so we try various pest control methods we find at Home Depot and such but it's not going very well and I do worry about flinging poisons to and fro around the lawn with small children around. I think summer is something you sort of have to suffer through in this part of the US. The spring and fall are nicer.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:27 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Mosquitos and chiggers love my wife, but if she sprays some OFF on herself, she's fine. Our yard is maintained by a pest control service, we don't have any fire ants in our yard, and before we had a service, they were easy enough to take care of. Just mix half a bag of fire ant killer in with your fertilizer and you'll be helping your lawn and killing any ants at the same time. Also helps with any mounds that might spring up elsewhere.

Wasps build a few nests a year, if you eliminate them the moment they start building their nest, you break their mating cycle and you'll have less throughout the year until they are completely gone.

For snakes, there are things you can buy to spray on your yard to keep them away, I don't remember the name but everyone in FL uses it. They have a much worse problem with snakes and reptiles than we do in Dallas.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:28 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
If you don't want the bugs, there are plenty of safe products to use to get rid of them. Especially mosquitos. If you are worried about the heat, there are plenty of hotter places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas