Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 9,893 times

Advertisements

I may be opening a topic that can be leading to a never ending debate. Not meant to hurt anyones feelings

I have been a member of both these warehouse stores in prior locations where we lived and have seen pros and cons in both these places based on the location. We just moved to Frisco area (NE part) and want to get some feedback on your experience with Sams and/or Costco in this area. We are a very small family of three and are considering these stores only for non perishable items.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 04:17 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times
Please use search. Costco VS Sam's has been discussed sooooooooo many times

With that said, +1 Costco

Old 06-19-2015, 09:33 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,268 times
Think

Target vs. Wal-Mart

Old 06-20-2015, 07:27 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,319 times
The two are quite comparable in price but Costco takes the moral high ground in its treatment of employees. Cutomer service is superior.....could it be because the employees enjoy their place of employment??? Costco till I die.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:07 AM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times
I been a SAMS customer for past 8+ years. I wanted to try out Costco this time but it's far from where I live compared to SAMS. I heard there are more varities on deli items in costco compared to SAMS. I would love to try it but didn't want to commute as we don't shop very often there. I would say go with COSTCO.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 AM

559 posts, read 935,734 times
Agree with all above responses.

+ Costco.
Unquestionable return policy.
To my observation (I have both clubs membership as well for almost 10 years now), same items sold at both locations usually cost less at Costco.
Better variety of coupon items.
I don't drink, but I think from what I have heard Costco sells max. $$$ wine compare to any other store in the country and they have a larger variety than Sams.

Sam's is a struggling business and they are downsizing their business whereas Costco is still growing in domestic and international market. That's a clear indication of which store most of consumer likes among these two stores.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 AM

103 posts, read 237,213 times
I would also give a thumbs up for Costco. I have been going there since moving to Frisco and I have stopped going to Walmart almost 90% now. I like the return policies for Costco and the way they add an extra year for warranty items. As others have said as well their employees seem very happy and very polite. So I will keep going there.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Costco's nicer than Sam's in terms of merchandise, but if you don't like crowds and long lines then it can be a miserable experience.

I don't like battling for parking spaces, cart wars in the aisles, constantly being physically pushed/elbowed aside, and waiting in long lines to pay for my stuff.

So the BF and I renewed at Sam's. I got a Costco membership for free last year; I've been maybe 3 times. Not worth it to me.

Plus, Sam's (at least the one we go to) actually has a better selection of fresh fruit & vegetables. We like the rotisserie chickens better there too. The only other stuff we get there is toilet paper and paper towels. Sam's quality is just as good as Costco's in that regard.

YMMV.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 AM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draghuna View Post
I may be opening a topic that can be leading to a never ending debate. Not meant to hurt anyones feelings

I have been a member of both these warehouse stores in prior locations where we lived and have seen pros and cons in both these places based on the location. We just moved to Frisco area (NE part) and want to get some feedback on your experience with Sams and/or Costco in this area. We are a very small family of three and are considering these stores only for non perishable items.

Thanks
I have both, but primarily because I am on a business membership with Sam's I don't pay for. I go to the Park & the Tollway Costco, and they do seem to have a much better wine selection and better selection of specialty items hand picked by their buyers, whereas Sam's has all your standard product offerings. As others have mentioned, Costco has a much better reputation as an employer and actually pays very competitively for their retail positions. That being said, they're both warehouse stores, but Sam's does seem to attract a more "white trash" demographic. I was getting gas at Sam's yesterday, and a fight broke out due to lines at the gas pumps where two middle aged couples actually got out of their vehicles and were dropping f bombs etc. a Sam's gas station attendant had to come intervene (this was in Plano). Best thing about Sam's is they still have Diet Coke in the cafe and Costco switched to Pepsi.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I have both, but primarily because I am on a business membership with Sam's I don't pay for. I go to the Park & the Tollway Costco, and they do seem to have a much better wine selection and better selection of specialty items hand picked by their buyers, whereas Sam's has all your standard product offerings. As others have mentioned, Costco has a much better reputation as an employer and actually pays very competitively for their retail positions. That being said, they're both warehouse stores, but Sam's does seem to attract a more "white trash" demographic. I was getting gas at Sam's yesterday, and a fight broke out due to lines at the gas pumps where two middle aged couples actually got out of their vehicles and were dropping f bombs etc. a Sam's gas station attendant had to come intervene (this was in Plano). Best thing about Sam's is they still have Diet Coke in the cafe and Costco switched to Pepsi.
I've been going to Sam's for years and have never seen anything approaching what you described there.

I even went to the garage Sam's on Skillman and Northwest Highway (a festive area) and didn't see anything remotely like that any time I went.

The only membership warehouse I've ever witnessed fighting at was Costco. I've seen two fights break out over parking spaces at the west Plano location, lots of "gas line rage" incidents, and arguments between customers every time I've been.

Our mileage clearly varies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas