Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM

769 posts, read 777,366 times

Advertisements

LOL at the desire to conform.

I put a chandelier in the bathroom and fans wherever I wanted them.

I can't believe people base their purchasing decision on such banal items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:51 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,340,656 times
We have ceiling fans in all bedrooms, family room and study along with gameroom and media room.

IF its a formal living it unusual to have them as well as in formal dining as others have said.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:33 AM

64 posts, read 85,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Then again you can always swap out the ceiling fans for proper light fixtures if you ever decide to put your house on the market. It's YOUR house, you have to live in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_nemi View Post
Its your house make it comfortable for you and the family.
Yup... We may be over-thinking this...

Old 06-25-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
LOL at the desire to conform.

I put a chandelier in the bathroom and fans wherever I wanted them.

I can't believe people base their purchasing decision on such banal items.

Unfortunately, we have had to sell in markets that were all buyers markets before. You won't believe how picky buyers can get. I know Dallas is different, but its difficult to overcome that mindset sometimes. That's why I post here ... for the reality check .

Old 06-25-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooky hornstein View Post

And when you think about it, what are formal dining rooms and living rooms for any way? It's not like we entertain delegates and dignitaries year round.

[....]

The other 1500 days between family Thanksgivings, the formal dining room is just a place with a nice flat surface that attracts things my wife doesn't want there. Like backpacks. Hoodies. Motorcycle carburetors.

And the formal living room is even more nonfunctional. We turned ours into a library. Ceiling to floor bookcases. Hundreds of books. Classics by Steinbeck, Hemmingway, London, Twain, Wodehouse, Waugh, Maugham, Wilde...

U said it

Our Dining room table is where the kids do their homework and projects. Our living room is where we read or just chat with each other when others are watching TV in the family room. Nothing 'formal' going on ever. Still, the extra space is good.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,158,364 times
We don't even have a place to put a ceiling fan or any light in our formal living room, which I think is a bit odd. So we have to use lamps. The dining is attached and has a chandelier.

I wouldn't think twice about a fan in the living room, but having one in the dining room seems strange.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:52 PM

87 posts, read 126,988 times
DFW houses are epitome of sad conformity. From a practical point of view,even if you have new air conditioners, fans help save on electric bills and cut down load on AC units. You can buy fancy fans with lights to soothe your aesthetic sense.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:00 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,239,015 times
I have a ceiling fan in my formal living room, den, kitchen and three bedrooms.
They make all the difference in the world. I had them installed when the house was built back in the late 70s.

I don't have one in the formal dining room because I have a chandelier in that room. However, I wouldn't put one in that room, anyway.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:26 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
One of the very best places to put a CF is in the master bathroom.

I've done that in my last 3 homes.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:09 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,951,016 times
I wouldn't mind a fan in the kitchen..
I've never seen that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: