Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 12:35 PM

203 posts, read 270,272 times

Advertisements

Hi all - we have an apt. for mid-July at Camden Legacy Pk off Preston Rd but a couple of houses in Forest Creek (south of Hedgcoxe and between Coit and Indep. Pky) have peaked our interest. I've read positive things about this neighborhood but wondering if anyone here has anything else to add. They are in the Matthews/Schimelpfenig/Clark/PSHS schools. There are two listings that meet most of our needs but part of me wants to get out there and see them up close and personal. I have a niece and sister local (although she's not in town now) but, now that we have the apt., I'm wondering if we should just wait...If we wait, then I'll be limited to Robinson (although I know that's not a bad thing). We've gone back and forth on the west vs. sr thing and my kids will probably be good students at either school. We want a good quality education but also great extracurriculars and everything else for a well-rounded childhood :-) I'm between Deerfield and those neighborhoods near Robinson and the apt. and the Whilffletree/Forest Creek group feeding to Schimelpfenig. I think either or those middle schools will be a good fit for my 6th and 7th graders. Just wondering if anyone has anything else to contribute. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 01:04 PM

64 posts, read 85,954 times
Your search has landed u eerily close to the same neighborhoods we narrowed down to

We loved Forest Creek because the kids could walk/bike to Davis library without crossing any major roads. The walk/bike to library/park/elementary was huge for us and Forest Creek was one of the very few neighborhoods that have it. We even visited Schimelpfenig and spoke to the counseller and were happy with what we saw and heard there. The schools are top notch - nothing to worry there.

I can't remember if Forest Creek has a mandatory HOA. That was something important to us as we wanted some solid governance mechanism to ensure that neighborhoods look.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenven View Post
Your search has landed u eerily close to the same neighborhoods we narrowed down to

We loved Forest Creek because the kids could walk/bike to Davis library without crossing any major roads. The walk/bike to library/park/elementary was huge for us and Forest Creek was one of the very few neighborhoods that have it. We even visited Schimelpfenig and spoke to the counseller and were happy with what we saw and heard there. The schools are top notch - nothing to worry there.

I can't remember if Forest Creek has a mandatory HOA. That was something important to us as we wanted some solid governance mechanism to ensure that neighborhoods look.
I copied your response to my husband so he could see other's responses to my Forest Creek question. He said, "she sounds like you." LOL!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:36 PM

[quote=deenie1;40176420]Hi all - we have an apt. for mid-July at Camden Legacy Pk off Preston Rd but a couple of houses in Forest Creek (south of Hedgcoxe and between Coit and Indep. Pky) have peaked our interest.

Ooops! I meant "piqued."

Old 06-27-2015, 12:12 AM

468 posts, read 469,472 times
Robinson is a fantastic school. Great teachers and super parents and highly motivated student body as well. It also has challenging academics and tons of clubs to stay active.

Both my daughters loved Robinson and they were able to make friends and adjust fairly well coming from CT. This was great because we needed some kind of warm up before my older daughter went to Jasper.

And you will love Jasper HS if you want your kids to really push themselves 110% academically and go head to head with some of the highest awarded students in all of TX.

We will miss Robinson now as we too have bought a home in Forest Glen north of Legacy across Independence. Yes we are now in Shim Zone. Thats what the kids call it.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 AM

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Robinson is a fantastic school. Great teachers and super parents and highly motivated student body as well. It also has challenging academics and tons of clubs to stay active.

Both my daughters loved Robinson and they were able to make friends and adjust fairly well coming from CT. This was great because we needed some kind of warm up before my older daughter went to Jasper.

And you will love Jasper HS if you want your kids to really push themselves 110% academically and go head to head with some of the highest awarded students in all of TX.

We will miss Robinson now as we too have bought a home in Forest Glen north of Legacy across Independence. Yes we are now in Shim Zone. Thats what the kids call it.
Pardon my ignorance but what does "shim zone" stand for?

Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM

"Matthews/Schimelpfenig/Clark/PSHS schools"

Schimelpfenig middle school - As in all the non-Shim kids will say

"that girl Laurie is really cool."

Friend replies "She's one of the Shim kids".

Old 06-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
"Matthews/Schimelpfenig/Clark/PSHS schools"

Schimelpfenig middle school - As in all the non-Shim kids will say

"that girl Laurie is really cool."

Friend replies "She's one of the Shim kids".
Ok...thx. Makes sense. Is that meant in a derogatory way though?

Old 06-27-2015, 02:34 PM

87 posts, read 126,929 times
It's not derogatory. Its just that Schimelpfenig is too long. Schimelpfenig kids think that being a Shim is cool, no one else cares. Ours is Otto and kids love it. Rice and Renner are the ones who are considered cool by all middle schools. Rice is arguably best middle school in Texas.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:33 AM

Yes, one could definitely make a very strong case that Rice is top middle in all of texas and i personally think they might be correct, but cool??? LOL, by other middle schoolers,,, no. Rice is known as the school w all the Asians, so maybe they are cool by being good academically. Kids from other HS might respect Jasper for being so tough but they feel sorry for the kids who have to go there.

Majority of Shim, or Schim kids go to Clark HS but a tiny minority choose to go to Jasper. They are the smallest group at Jasper so they have to try to get along and fit in while the Rice and Robinson kids all have tons of friends. And yet the Shim kids seem to be the ones who everyone recognizes as the easy going cool kids among the AP track. No, not necessarily the popular kids as we are talking about kids who probably study more than most other hs kids. Of course if they didnt have the confidence and demeanor to think they could handle the pressures of jasper they wouldnt be there to begin with. They very well could be the top students from Schim MS. Why else would they voluntarily choose to go to jasper? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: