Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times

Advertisements

Excuse my ignorance.

What is the typical tax percentage or amount from selling an inherited property? Not capital gains. There will be no mortgage to pay off so after all the realtor fees and closing costs are paid, what taxes remain?

Just for example, if after realtor and closing I had 10,000 left. Does that just get included in our income tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,828 times
You may want to consult a lawyer or accountant. However the taxes in question would be capital gains taxes. In general when you inherit something you have a cost basis of the value of the item at the time of inheritance. So if you inherit a house worth $200,000 and then sell it for $200,000 you would owe now taxes. If you sell if for $250,000 then you would owe capital gains on $50K.

The $10K left you mention could be a gain, a loss, or a break even it all depends.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:09 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
You may want to consult a lawyer or accountant. However the taxes in question would be capital gains taxes. In general when you inherit something you have a cost basis of the value of the item at the time of inheritance. So if you inherit a house worth $200,000 and then sell it for $200,000 you would owe now taxes. If you sell if for $250,000 then you would owe capital gains on $50K.

The $10K left you mention could be a gain, a loss, or a break even it all depends.
Thanks. I'm definitely going to talk to professionals.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:51 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Excuse my ignorance.

What is the typical tax percentage or amount from selling an inherited property? Not capital gains. There will be no mortgage to pay off so after all the realtor fees and closing costs are paid, what taxes remain?

Just for example, if after realtor and closing I had 10,000 left. Does that just get included in our income tax?
In general, when you inherit property you get a "step-up in basis" to the property's value at the death of the decedent. Which means that if you sell such property shortly after inheriting it, the capital gains should be minimal and there should be very little income tax liability attributable to the sale.

There are some exceptions to this depending on how you inherited the property - if you received it as a distribution from a certain type of trust, it may have been excluded from the "taxable estate" and therefore it would not receive a step-up in basis. But in most "normal" situations, you inherit property, you take it with a basis equal to FMV at date of death.

Apparently I no longer need to give Circular 230 Disclaimers, but I'll state that you should consult with your own attorney and not take the advice of some random peep on the intermaweb, even if they sound like they know what they're talking about because they could just be some teenage kid living in his parents' basement or something.

ETA- looks like cordata already told you that, more concisely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas