Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times

Advertisements

Dallas Neighborhoods - Best Places to Live, Things to Do and Restaurants in Dallas Neighborhoods

This should help a lot of newcomers to Dallas' neighborhoods who may be wary of the "city".

I do see quite a few omissions - for instance East Dallas neighborhoods like Munger Place, Junius Heights, Little Forest Hills, Casa Linda are missing. But it's nice they went as far east as Lochwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Good link. I can never comprehend the household income stats. Let's just look at UP and HP for instance. Yes I understand some SMU kids live in the area and may have it as there place of residence, but still. 127, 125K is the median household income????

Last edited by bencronin04; 06-29-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 07:47 AM

218 posts, read 337,073 times
Some of the numbers do not look right to me.
Highland park - homes are million+ but household income is 123k.
I bet 123k is not enough to maintain those homes.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierk View Post
Some of the numbers do not look right to me.
Highland park - homes are million+ but household income is 123k.
I bet 123k is not enough to maintain those homes.
It's median income, not average. So if there is an SMU kid making $5k/yr, a retired couple who makes $123k in retirement income, and a professional athlete making $7M/year, the median income is still $123k. The average is going to be around $2M, but the median is $123k

Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It's median income, not average. So if there is an SMU kid making $5k/yr, a retired couple who makes $123k in retirement income, and a professional athlete making $7M/year, the median income is still $123k. The average is going to be around $2M, but the median is $123k
But there a LOT more working professionals in the Park Cities than student and retired couples. So it would more than likely fall towards the higher side I would think.

UP: The median household income is $123,480 and the employment rate is 92.9%.

HP: The median household income is $127,668 and the employment rate is 94.9%.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:40 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Good link. I can never comprehend the household income stats. Let's just look at UP and HP for instance. Yes I understand some SMU kids live in the area and may have it as there place of residence, but still. 127, 125K is the median household income????
Well, after all of the tax sheltering and offshore accounts are done, it wouldn't surprise me if the tax records do, in fact, show a median household income around that number. It's funny they list a median household income as $109,933 while also listing median owner-occupied home value at $943,378.
Median income per household in their stats could be determined by one wage earner at $500,000 among a family of 5 and not include passive income.

It's D Magazine so they always like to take a cafeteria approach to the facts and statistics.

For example, they proudly claim Big D as the 4th largest metropolitan area and then quietly ignore every region outside of Dallas-proper used to actually arrive at that figure.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I do see quite a few omissions - for instance East Dallas neighborhoods like Munger Place, Junius Heights, Little Forest Hills, Casa Linda are missing. But it's nice they went as far east as Lochwood.
Thanks for the link share! We hope these guides are a resource for newcomers and locals alike. Munger Place and Junius Heights are subdivisions of Old East Dallas. We plan to create a 4th level of subdivisions once we cover all other neighborhoods. Casa Linda and Little Forest Hills are on our short list. What other neighborhoods should we include?

We also plan to have a map that pulls live crime data from dallasopendata.com: https://www.dallasopendata.com/Polic...sion/iziq-23qd

Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
It's D Magazine so they always like to take a cafeteria approach to the facts and statistics.
We're using demographic data pulled from Nielsen SiteReports which represents sampling based on most recent U.S. Census estimates. We're not making up any numbers here. At first we were surprised by the numbers, but I think TurtleCreek80 hit the nail on the head. These are median numbers and students and retirees probably are a factor here.

We just launched these guides on Friday. We are going to be tweaking and adding to these over the next few weeks. Any other sources of data we can use that my be helpful to our readers would be much appreciated.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:42 AM

19,786 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagazine View Post
We're using demographic data pulled from Nielsen SiteReports which represents sampling based on most recent U.S. Census estimates. We're not making up any numbers here. At first we were surprised by the numbers, but I think TurtleCreek80 hit the nail on the head. These are median numbers and students and retirees probably are a factor here.

We just launched these guides on Friday. We are going to be tweaking and adding to these over the next few weeks. Any other sources of data we can use that my be helpful to our readers would be much appreciated.
It's a combination of several factors:

1. Lots of asset rich retirees have very low to no active income especially so in certain years.
2. The SMU factor is real
3. Across large numbers of people economists/statisticians prefer median numbers as pockets of very rich or very poor people won't gut the numbers. In this case the numbers are small enough that it'd be very interesting to see the average income numbers as well.
4. A good number of very rich C-suiters have low active income as well, preferring to run the household with money from past liquidity events.
5. I'd also bet that rich people are more reticent to provide accurate numbers on census forms.

I'll see if I can find numbers that might help you. I'll report back most likely tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 AM

19,786 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagazine View Post

The Census Bureau itself shows HP's 2009-2013 median household income as $191,422.
UP's as $173,520.

Highland Park (town) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

University Park (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas