Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,137 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I recently graduated college and jobs in my town are bare. I been looking for options in Dallas and they look more promising. I was wondering if making 16$ an hour would be livable and what are some decent apartments for around 600-700. I do not have much debt and It's only me and 2 small animals.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
I can understand why you would want to move to Dallas from Shreveport. I find it interesting that a number of the states that border Texas (Louisiana, Arkansas, and New Mexico) are not states with robust local economies. I would think that places like Dallas and Houston get a lot of transplants from the aforementioned bordering states because of the poor local economies in those states.

$600-700 is kind of on the low side rent wise, even for a studio. $800-900 a month could get you a passable one bedroom. In your price range, you might want to consider a 2 bedroom with a roommate. There is more good inventory of 2 bedrooms in the $1,200-$1,400 range. The small animals might be a hindrance in finding a roommate though, but I think there are enough pet friendly people out there.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:14 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Durant, ok is. Border town with a strong, growing local economy. There are more people living in Texas driving there to work than the reverse. Oklahoma has a good economy overall but no mega cities like Dallas and Houston, so people so move if that is there target.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Of the states that border Texas, Oklahoma has the best economy. There's really not a lot of opportunity in Louisiana, Arkansas, and New Mexico.

Texas doesn't just get transplants from there. Think of all the Californians that have come here because California's government has pursued policies that have not economically benefited its citizenry. Similar things have happened in Northeastern states.

As for the OP, there's a lot to like about Dallas. This is a good place for a recent college graduate.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,137 times
Thank you for all the information! Hope everyone had a great 4th. Even though Shreveport, LA is growing, It doesn't seem like anyone is retiring either. Most new jobs are just new stores. I had looked at some apartments and saw some decent ones. I really do not want a roommate this time since i have always had one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: