Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:04 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
"...where you AT? I should avoid the hood."
Judging by your grammar, the hood is in you, you can't avoid it.
I sure can.

No to HOA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 02:41 PM

205 posts, read 334,225 times
1. I bought a used blower motor for $20 in working condition from a HVAC repair shop. Made a wooden enclosure with filters and run it for 10 mins as needed. Works as an air filter and moves air well.

2. Have a Lasko box fan ($20 also) with wooden enclosure. This thing moves air pretty well. I run it with a wet towel in front of it.

Makes working in the garage much easier in the summer.

Hope this help...

Old 07-08-2015, 07:56 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Why is that obvious? I've got a small window-style AC mounted in the wall of my garage. It helps if the temp is no more than 90.

Other than that, get some 24" or so utility fans.
I don't know how you and other guys get aways with any-type of Window-Styled AC units. Window units are 100% banned anywhere on the house and everything must run through a central HVAC type system.

Our garage faces the front of house and HoA will definitely notice. And trust me, anything that enables the garage become any sort of "living" space is NOT allowed. They have already once sent out notices to everyone to keep their garage closed and clutter (including trash cans) hidden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If the door faces the sun, that's a problem. My garage door gets afternoon sun, and it's better closed at that time.
This is definitely my other problem, after 1 pm the sun start shining directly into the garage.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:11 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
Everytime I read a post on here about an HOA I think how lucky I am that I don't live in the burbs. Not that I want to but AC in my garage but why the hell should anyone care if I did?

OP, I would look into one of those industrial sized fans. I worked in a warehouse one summer in college and we had a few of those big fans. It made it manageable.

Like one of these:
Amazon.com - Lakewood 36-Inch Industrial Grade Drum Fan -
Those huge fan definitely look like they could help!

As for our HoA, they don't like garages becoming a place where people lounge and they think making it more comfortable with things like HVAC, sofa, pool table, etc will encourage that type of unwanted behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We live in hot muggy GA. My husband's 2 car garage has 3 big ceiling fans. He opens the doors and has the fans going and it stays comfortable.
This is another good solution, never thought about installing ceiling fans in the garage before! I am going double check with my HoA and see what will fly with them.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
Everytime I read a post on here about an HOA I think how lucky I am that I don't live in the burbs. Not that I want to but AC in my garage but why the hell should anyone care if I did?

OP, I would look into one of those industrial sized fans. I worked in a warehouse one summer in college and we had a few of those big fans. It made it manageable.

Like one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-36-In...industrial+fan
OP could also get a portable air conditioner if he can figure out how to vent the exhaust. That way he doesn't have to upset his HOA with a window unit.

There's also this from Mitsubishi:

Wall-mount deluxe

Personally I'd rather just mount that sucker somewhere in the garage that isn't visible to a passerby than ask the HOA for permission to put an AC unit in my own garage. But that's just me.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Why do folks in HOAs need to do projects all day in a garage. Point of a HOA is so you have hardly any thing to do to repair home

Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
Point of a HOA is so you have hardly any thing to do to repair home
Not for single family, only for multifamily exteriors. In a single family, the HOA is to pay for common areas and to support property values, which they do by not allowing too much variation in how the house looks or is used. You are still responsible for your own maintenance.

In my opinion the OP should have a thought a bit more about this issue before purchasing a place where you can't open your garage door without getting the side eye, but I guess adding a secret A/C is the next best solution. The real answer is we buy in places that allow us to have open doors or A/C units in the garage.

My final solution is to vent a portable A/C (not a window unit) into the attic via a hole cut into your ceiling if there is no living space above. If the house has a vented attic, it should be ok if you aren't using it more than a few hours a day. If there is living space above, you can't do this.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Personally I'd rather just mount that sucker somewhere in the garage that isn't visible to a passerby than ask the HOA for permission to put an AC unit in my own garage. But that's just me.
Me too. I would make it my main goal to pull one over on the commies.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:04 PM

39 posts, read 49,961 times
The ignorance displayed in this thread about HOAs is scary.

HOAs don't have restrictions about adding A/C to your garage (other than perhaps how such additions look or appear on the exterior of your home). And HOAs don't do all of your "projects" for you.

Just because you have heard the letters H, O and A together doesn't mean you have the standing to advise people or to slander HOA neighborhoods.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
The ignorance displayed in this thread about HOAs is scary.

HOAs don't have restrictions about adding A/C to your garage (other than perhaps how such additions look or appear on the exterior of your home). And HOAs don't do all of your "projects" for you.

Just because you have heard the letters H, O and A together doesn't mean you have the standing to advise people or to slander HOA neighborhoods.
It kind of threw me too, I've never heard of a restriction like that...but I'm not going to automatically assume that the OP is a liar either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: