Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
just doesnt seem right to hose taxpayers at the same rate every year during a significant value appreciation period, surprised we dont hear more about this
Keep in mind that whe values were falling during 2009-2011 tax years, the city/county/ISD were running the same sized operations on much less income. Just because a home's tax bill fell by 25% in that time doesn't mean it costs 25% less to fill potholes, sand overpasses during ice storms, staff DPD & Dallas Fire, run Parkland, etc. Most individuals who were employed the county/ISD/city received no raise in income over those years and possibly saw reduced benefifs to balance the budget. DISD has many campuses in need of significant repairs and upgrades.

Now that times are good, it's prudent to give employees raises and allocate more resources to capital improvements (road & city infrastructure, schools, parks, etc). Home values are up because people want to live in the Dallas area, so the cities & ISD's should continue to invest in making those places great for living & education.

I do agree that after several years of large home gains, we're at the point where many area cities & ISD's should be talking about lowering rates. That can still give them an annual budget increase to work with and stay competitive, just not a double-digit one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The big tax bite is School district which is different than what the city taxes.

City going down does not mean that much when you have County, City, School, Parkland and Community College taxes.
Hi Rakin,
Is it possible to get exemption for Parkland and Community College taxes? What are our benefits with this tax. I am not sure how much difference county tax makes. Coppell ISD is the one fleecing lot of my money to buy mac books.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Hi Rakin,
Is it possible to get exemption for Parkland and Community College taxes? What are our benefits with this tax. I am not sure how much difference county tax makes. Coppell ISD is the one fleecing lot of my money to buy mac books.
Why would you possibly think you could be exempt from these taxes? If you live in Dallas County, you pay in. They are services for County residents, whether you need/use them or not. No different than paying ISD taxes when you don't have kids- you live there, you pay.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:46 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Why would you possibly think you could be exempt from these taxes?
I love when people say they want to be in Coppell, Southlake, Plano because of the great schools.
Then they realize someone has to pay for those great schools.

Nope there are no ways to escape paying County, Parkland, DCCC taxes if you live in Dallas County.
Many of us have additional taxes like DCURD or MUD taxes.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:36 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,472 times
Quote:
Why would you possibly think you could be exempt from these taxes? If you live in Dallas County, you pay in. They are services for County residents, whether you need/use them or not. No different than paying ISD taxes when you don't have kids- you live there, you pay.
I am just trying to make sure I am not missing anything in terms of exemptions. ISD exempts some taxes for senior citizens. Wondering what kind of services they offer to tax payers. What can we expect from then as a tax payer. Just curious.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
I am just trying to make sure I am not missing anything in terms of exemptions. ISD exempts some taxes for senior citizens. Wondering what kind of services they offer to tax payers. What can we expect from then as a tax payer. Just curious.
Whenever you file the homestead exemption (or any other exemption) paperwork with DCAD, they apply it to all taxing entities that offer one. Parkland and DCCC's both extend the 20% homestead exemption that Dallas County does.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what kind of services they offer to tax payers"- do you mean as it regards to your tax bill, or are you asking what the hospital and DCCC are/do?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:16 PM

247 posts, read 379,437 times
what were rates (ballpark) back in 09-011?

Old 07-10-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
what were rates (ballpark) back in 09-011?
The %tax rates have stayed the same. It's the home values that have fallen then risen the last 6 years.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:07 PM

110 posts, read 168,398 times
Quote:
Whenever you file the homestead exemption (or any other exemption) paperwork with DCAD, they apply it to all taxing entities that offer one. Parkland and DCCC's both extend the 20% homestead exemption that Dallas County does.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what kind of services they offer to tax payers"- do you mean as it regards to your tax bill, or are you asking what the hospital and DCCC are/do?
Sounds like he is asking why a taxpayer has to pay for a college and hospital as part of their property taxes, as opposed to the students and patients, respectively (a good question IMO).

Old 07-11-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad0118 View Post
Sounds like he is asking why a taxpayer has to pay for a college and hospital as part of their property taxes, as opposed to the students and patients, respectively (a good question IMO).
Why? Years ago the voters of Dallas, Tarrant and Collin Counties all created Community Colleges and a Hospital District Tax (not CC) to help pay for and assist people who are lower income who live in those counties.

The tax is not optional if you live in those counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas