Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:10 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times

Advertisements

There are nice areas all over Oak Cliff, despite the stereotypes that people on C-D -- who've never lived in and rarely visit -- continue to trade in as if they're the last word. Oak Cliff covers a large area, especially in the media where anything and everything south of I-30 is labeled Oak Cliff and used interchangeably with South Dallas (which is an incorrect thing to do but whatever). Within that area are all sorts of neighborhoods, good and not-so-good.

Kessler Plaza and Ravinia Heights are two areas west of Hampton that are quite nice though you'd still might find it hard to get something for under $150K.

Neighborhood Spotlight: Ravinia Heights - D Magazine (this is from a few years back so the prices have obviously gone up from there but gives you some idea about the neighborhood)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
I spent some time in Overton rd Tacoma st Ann Arbor areas today. Brutal down there.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I spent some time in Overton rd Tacoma st Ann Arbor areas today. Brutal down there.

I know that area well and it is not a place I would want to purchase a home.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
There are nice areas all over Oak Cliff, despite the stereotypes that people on C-D -- who've never lived in and rarely visit -- continue to trade in as if they're the last word. Oak Cliff covers a large area, especially in the media where anything and everything south of I-30 is labeled Oak Cliff and used interchangeably with South Dallas (which is an incorrect thing to do but whatever). Within that area are all sorts of neighborhoods, good and not-so-good.

Kessler Plaza and Ravinia Heights are two areas west of Hampton that are quite nice though you'd still might find it hard to get something for under $150K.

Neighborhood Spotlight: Ravinia Heights - D Magazine (this is from a few years back so the prices have obviously gone up from there but gives you some idea about the neighborhood)
If you want to try and be all accurate...good and "not-so-good" is not the correct definition. Good and terrible is a better representation. I think everyone on this post has been pretty fair to the Oak Cliff area so far, no need for you to try and make it something it's not. There are some nicer areas of Oak Cliff, but not many in OPs price range if any. I visit Oak Cliff a few times a month. My dad's practice is there, our old maid lives there (that we visit often) and we go down there usually once a month for groceries (mexican marts) and eating out.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Oak Cliff is in south Dallas. Some areas of it (like Kessler Park) are quite nice, other parts of it have very high crime. I don't know anything about the area where that home is (or a much about Oak Cliff other than what I posted in the first two sentences).

Native here: Oak Cliff is not in South Dallas. They are completely separate.

Also, East Dallas is not in North Dallas!!!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:48 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
If you want to try and be all accurate...good and "not-so-good" is not the correct definition. Good and terrible is a better representation. I think everyone on this post has been pretty fair to the Oak Cliff area so far, no need for you to try and make it something it's not. There are some nicer areas of Oak Cliff, but not many in OPs price range if any. I visit Oak Cliff a few times a month. My dad's practice is there, our old maid lives there (that we visit often) and we go down there usually once a month for groceries (mexican marts) and eating out.
The general impression from reading these posts is that Oak Cliff, unless you can afford Kessler Park (which clearly the OP cannot from his budget), then it should be avoided. Or that Oak Cliff and South Dallas are synonymous.

My point is that there are all sorts of neighborhoods in Oak Cliff -- and, yes, some are terrible, some are good, and others are somewhere in between. But the same is true of North Dallas. And there are cool neighborhoods outside of Kessler Park and the Bishop Arts District, like the two I mentioned in the previous post which, until fairly recently, were still pretty affordable.

if the OP has kids (which I don't think any were mentioned) and wants them in public schools then, yeah, Oak Cliff probably is not going to work. And, yes, in some areas it can be block by block, with one block nice and another ratty. And there's still a dearth of retail in Oak Cliff though that's slowly changing.

But we agree that, with a $150K budget, the OP's not going to have many options in whatever part of Dallas they decide to look.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:00 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Native here: Oak Cliff is not in South Dallas. They are completely separate.

Also, East Dallas is not in North Dallas!!!
I meant Oak Cliff is geographically south as in the southern part of the city (I didn't capitalize south in my post as in South Dallas).

I never said East Dallas was in North Dallas.

Last edited by Rowan123; 07-10-2015 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 04:49 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
The general impression from reading these posts is that Oak Cliff, unless you can afford Kessler Park (which clearly the OP cannot from his budget), then it should be avoided. Or that Oak Cliff and South Dallas are synonymous.

My point is that there are all sorts of neighborhoods in Oak Cliff -- and, yes, some are terrible, some are good, and others are somewhere in between. But the same is true of North Dallas. And there are cool neighborhoods outside of Kessler Park and the Bishop Arts District, like the two I mentioned in the previous post which, until fairly recently, were still pretty affordable.

if the OP has kids (which I don't think any were mentioned) and wants them in public schools then, yeah, Oak Cliff probably is not going to work. And, yes, in some areas it can be block by block, with one block nice and another ratty. And there's still a dearth of retail in Oak Cliff though that's slowly changing.

But we agree that, with a $150K budget, the OP's not going to have many options in whatever part of Dallas they decide to look.
I'm finding houses even at 80K

No idea about neighborhood but that doesn't matter.

I can spend 5K on assault rifles, handguns, ammo and alarms.

That would be a wise investment

Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I'm finding houses even at 80K

No idea about neighborhood but that doesn't matter.

I can spend 5K on assault rifles, handguns, ammo and alarms.

That would be a wise investment
And the house would get broken into and all of those guns would be stolen.
Or you could be killed in a random drive-by shooting by a bullet going through your window. That has actually happened!

Trust us when we say you don't want an $80k house, no matter where it is.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:52 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
And the house would get broken into and all of those guns would be stolen.
Or you could be killed in a random drive-by shooting by a bullet going through your window. That has actually happened!

Trust us when we say you don't want an $80k house, no matter where it is.
OMG

It's brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: