Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,653 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

My family and I are doing some research into moving to the Plano area towards the end of the year. I've been doing a lot of research into housing and commutes and I'm wondering how far north from Plano would be an acceptable commute? I've watched Google maps and the traffic data and it seems traffic north of Plano isn't that bad? Or, maybe I'm just not seeing it. I would be willing to spend 30 minutes commuting into the "Shops at Legacy" area of Plano where I would be working.

Are McKinney and Melissa too far north or would that pretty much be the upper limit of a 30 minute commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 04:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Count on 2-3 min per mile in rush hour traffic unless there is an accident. I spend about $40/week on tolls.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:45 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
Jw what company are you relocating with?

You ask is it too far, we don't know what you are willing to tolerate. FYI McKinney is a lot more developed compared to Melissa. Me personally I would say McKinney is great for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Count on 2-3 min per mile in rush hour traffic unless there is an accident. I spend about $40/week on tolls.
Truth...I feel like (I know not all) every single north Dallas highway is toll, its ridiculous

Old 07-14-2015, 07:30 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
If you want to avoid the toll road I wouldn't look further north than Frisco, personally. I live in NW Frisco and I work at DNT/Legacy so I just take Legacy south to work. I leave at 7:05 usually and I'm at work by 7:45 and that includes dropping my kid off at daycare and chatting with her teacher a bit.

Traffic is lighter right now because school is out, but if you plan on taking surface streets and avoiding the toll roads you will have to take school zones into consideration. I hit 2 on my commute. When school starts up my commute usually goes up 5-7 minutes with the school zones and extra traffic.

Even if you are okay with tolls, I'm not sure if you could pull off living in Melissa and getting to work in 30 minutes. I don't know what your budget is, but I'd look at Plano, Frisco, and possibly Prosper.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 2,653 times
I can deal with 1/2 hour to 40 minutes. I'd probably commute on my motorcycle most days depending on weather. 30-40 minutes is doable. I have it good right now since my commute is only 15 minutes so I need to be prepared for the change.

I just need to find the right balance between home price / commute time / fuel cost / toll costs. It looks like the McKinney area is probably the best compromise of all of those things. I'd like to go even further north to get a little bit of land for my dogs and kids but it just might not happen.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:13 PM

162 posts, read 195,031 times
I live close to Shops at Legacy, and if you wish to remain within Plano that's not an issue, I would not consider McKinney or the like. Why travel on highway 20-30 minutes, when you can get better shopping, better transport to other part of Dallas and be close to work. e.g. Airport from legacy 30 min max, while from McKinney and the morning traffic into town is not pleasant.
BTW, not many people ride the motorcycle here to work...as highway just too dangerous and roads though in good shape there are many potholes, and gravel on road and many people drives big trucks and large cars and don't expect bikers on the road. Will you be renting or buying? Do you want your kid to attend the most challenging schools in Plano? East Plano (close to HW75) about 15 minutes by car to Shops at Legacy, rent, housing cheaper, schools still great but not as good as West Plano where housing more expensive.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:38 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
.Southerly commute into Plano-image.jpg

Old 07-18-2015, 07:39 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Southerly commute into Plano-image.jpg

Old 07-18-2015, 08:31 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,409 times
Actually, I'd say what Aceraceae posted above is pretty spot on. Driving across Plano on surface streets during rush hour is crazy busy, so doubt you'd see a huge difference in that part of Plano versus western Mckinney. Now if you are talking further north/west Plano or further east McKinney (and definitely Melissa), then yes, living in Plano would be a big difference. But typically from Stonebridge Ranch area of Mckinney, takes just under 20 minutes in average traffic. In heavy rush hour, personally I'd avoid the tollway altogether and take Custer to McDermott, then McDermott over to Rasor/Headquaters. About 25-30 minutes at that time IME.

Of course, like other posters said, Frisco might be a good option location-wise.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Traffic is lighter right now because school is out.
You are right. That is true all across the Metroplex and not necessarily confined to Plano. The worst weeks of traffic of the year are the first 3-4 weeks after back to school in late August/September. I'm amazed that is the case since households with children are a smaller percentage of the population now than at any point in recent history. I am also pleasantly surprised at how easy my commute is during spring break week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas